What kind of pipe is this?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefe1037

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
One of my recent aquisitions is a dublin shape with a very slight bend. It is stamped G&D on the briar and France on the acrylic. A simple google search and a trip to pipedia yielded zero results - well I did blow half an hour looking through pipedia. Any help? I will post pic later if necessary but am currently commuting.

jefe1037":0fm7h6wa said:
One of my recent aquisitions is a dublin shape with a very slight bend. It is stamped G&D on the briar and France on the acrylic. A simple google search and a trip to pipedia yielded zero results - well I did blow half an hour looking through pipedia. Any help? I will post pic later if necessary but am currently commuting.
Are you sure it does not have GBD stamped on it? They did have some pipes made in France for them back in the 50's. Or did you buy it new? If so, it maybe one of many off-brand pipes made in St.Claude, France for retail by folks. Check the imprinting carefully again and post some pics , especially of the imprinting.

Yeah. Just how clear is that "&" between the G and the D? GBD would be my guess as well as it's obvious and likely. If it's absolutely an "&" then we can take it from there.

monbla256":cmn9dslv said:
Are you sure it does not have GBD stamped on it?
That was my first thought as well. I'm looking at one right now with both "GBD" and "Made in France" on the stem. I can see how the B could look like......whudya call that thing? Is that an ampersand? Well, obviously I'm no expert. :confused:

Progressing through the posts, I immediately thought GBD too... but...

...might be a pipe shop special from some unknown maker, I have found quite a few of those. They can be a good smoker--and that one's a nice lookin' pipe.

Your avitar cracks me up!! LMFAO.

It sure looks like G&D. Probably a GBD knock off.

Nice shape. Let us know how she smokes.

Kyle Weiss":ew4ymgx0 said:
Progressing through the posts, I immediately thought GBD too... but...

...might be a pipe shop special from some unknown maker, I have found quite a few of those. They can be a good smoker--and that one's a nice lookin' pipe.
We stand corrected. The lines look kinda Savinelli-ish. Maybe a Sav copy for a shop's house line?

You might try checking G&D LTD Mc MURDO. They used to make lighters as well as pipes. Maybe, maybe not.

This is my full rotation.... not bad for a novice? I really like the mouthpiece on the peterson but the other two are good "clinchers" for when i am walking through the city.

Just for clarification, what shape would the pipe on the left be?

If PAD hits, I am thinking about a bent apple or bulldog next, and definitely an oom paul. Rhodesians have been catching my eye online too. I can see why the nicotine isn't the only addictive thing about pipes

Some nice looking pipes there. The blasted pipe I've seen called a "brandy" shape and your G&D looks to be what I recall as being called a "Yachtsman" by many of the British firms. I would imagine it is one of many "house brand" pipes made for shops back in the 60's/70s by any of the major pipe making firms. GBD, Comoy's etall would imprint a shop's name or a style range name on a range of shapes and sizes bought in pre-determined quantities for retailers. I have 4 very nice "Ranga" pipes which I bought from a shop in Dallas back in the 70's which were made for them by GBD. They have "Ranga" imprinted on one side with a GBD shape # and Made in England as GBD put on their pipes on the opposite side. Yours may be a pipe such as this. Looks like you have some more detective work ahead of you. Thank goodness for the web :p

Of interest:

http://tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=O&TID=4168

There's also several B&D Tobacco shops listed when I do a google search...neither of which appears to have a website.

But you know, to me, the first letter in that stamping doesn't really look like a capitol B...more like a lower case b or something else. If the pipe was made in Zagreb it might be Cyrillic - or something. You might have a Croatian pipe there. Interesting. I agree that it's a very hanbsome item. And interesting...very interesting!

I think the "B&D" - Black and Decker. Did it come with any drill bits?
anthony

acme":gx7w9zxj said:
I think the "B&D" - Black and Decker. Did it come with any drill bits?
anthony
Funny enough, Black & Decker had promo/commemoration pipes made a long time ago. Brother Sorringowl sold one back when I first joined, a poker I was interested in. 8)