What makes a pot a pot?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshpipes

Reaction score
In a thread concerning a BoB's acquisition of a beautiful Viprati pipe which has been referred to as a pot, the question came up: what makes a pot a pot?

I decided to do some quick research and turned up this site on Pipedia: click me!

According to Pipedia, a pot is simply a billiard with a short bowl. My understanding has been that a pot must have a bowl (the outside of the pipe as opposed to the chamber) whose dimensions are close or equal to each other in height and width. His understanding is that a pot must be a cylinder with straight walls. I think it's likely that we're both right and I'm interested in finding out what all the attributes of a pot really are.

What do you guys think: what makes a pot a pot?

Short and fat. Chamber should be nearly as wide as it is deep.

A cylinder with straight walls and equal height to width ratio sounds good. I usually think of a pot as having a relatively "short" bowl appearance. Otherwise, would it be a stack, or chimney?

Harlock999":7ovi2mjh said:
A cylinder with straight walls and equal height to width ratio sounds good. I usually think of a pot as having a relatively "short" bowl appearance. Otherwise, would it be a stack, or chimney?
I think so. If the bowl is taller than a billiard, then I think it fits the stack/chimney category.

ANYTHING WItH A CHICKEN IN IT. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Had to take advantage of that question :lol: :lol: :lol:

"There's a Story behind every bowl"

You've never had chicken salad soup? Man, you haven't lived! ;)

Does anyone know if there is any pipe manufactures, that are known for producing this pipe shape? I realize that several makers may have a pot or two in their line, but does any one company have a rep for producing Pots?

"There's a Story behind every bowl"

Peterson's 606 is sort of a classic. But to me the airflow is not good enough for the bowl size/shape on those.

Castello makes some Italian-type pots, heavier and curvier than the English variants, mostly.

I make the occassional pot too, as I'm sure most makers do.

pot003.jpg

I've seen a few older Charatan pots that, at least to me, really make a fine example of the shape.

A fantastic thread right here. This is a question that I have been wondering myself. Thanks David!

A pot will have a wider bowl and bore than a billiard, given the same length -- not just a cut-down one.

A lot of them came out of England in years past, and they were a drag on the market. Nobody much wanted them ; second hand ones went at a discount to what shapes like billiards and bent bulldogs by the same maker would bring.

It was easy to suspect that a pot was what a maker would end up with when the briar at the top of what would have been another shape was bad -- a way of salvaging the block.

They smoke a bit differently compared to other shapes.

:face:

Great pipes guys! Love that Ser Jacopo Hawkodesian(?).

Cakeanddottle, that is a sweet Bjarne. I've been a fan of Bjarne pipes since I started smoking, my collection of them peaking at about 15 before the majority got liquidated. I'm down to the three that I cannot let go of. All three are tremendous smokers.

bjarne10.jpg

Perspective is a pain. The pipe in the back isn't quite as small as it looks, nor is the pipe in the front as enormous as it looks. You get the idea though. ;)

And now for a new and interesting question in defining a pot: that Bjarne rhodesian in the back has a chamber that is very nearly as wide as it is deep.

Does that make it a pot or a rhodesian? Does the chamber or the appearance define the pipe?

UberHuberMan":t65cfxd7 said:
Cakeanddottle, that is a sweet Bjarne. I've been a fan of Bjarne pipes since I started smoking, my collection of them peaking at about 15 before the majority got liquidated. I'm down to the three that I cannot let go of. All three are tremendous smokers.
Nice trio of Bjarnes, Uber!
I still love that bulldog, but that blasted stack in the middle looks very smokeable!
Nice pic, as well.

Harlock999":41mi3x2b said:
Nice trio of Bjarnes, Uber!
I still love that bulldog, but that blasted stack in the middle looks very smokeable!
Nice pic, as well.
Of the three, I have to admit that the two you mentioned are my favorites. The one on the bottom just smokes so damn well that I can't let it go. Let's keep this our little secret though. I wouldn't want to insight jealousy among the group. ;)