What movie do you think is the best of the 20th century?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One would have to define "best." I know what you're getting at, sort of, as I was just thinking about this the other day. Strange.

There are so many it's hard to pick just one but, one that stands out in my mind
right now is "The Green Mile"

Seriously, my favorite is Casablanca, as far as story goes.  For scope, star power, success, and just all-around "bigness," I would pick Gone with the Wind.  The Searchers is awesome, and so thinks none other than Steven Spielberg.  I can't think of any made after, say, the '60s that I give a damn about.  Not a fan of noise, explosions, car chases, and CGI out the wazoo.

But it's irrelevant what one's favorites are.  The question is what is meant by "best?"

I know what you're getting at Richard. I'm just gonna go with what I like. The original Sabrina with Bogie, Bill Holden and of course Audrey Hepburn.

Jim

huffelpuff":pz9teuqf said:
I know what you're getting at Richard. I'm just gonna go with what I like. The original Sabrina with Bogie, Bill Holden and of course Audrey Hepburn.

Jim
Aye, that's a good one, far better than the remake.  OK, so how about In the Heat of the Night, or Ninotchka, or Once Upon a Time in the West?

You beat me to it Smokey; Star Wars. Or, of course, The Great Escape - several big screen legends all in one place telling an epic story.

Richard Burley":seups8ep said:
"Swamp Thing."  It had Adrienne Barbeau.
A worthy choice. Not only did it have Adrienne Barbeau in it, it had her skinny dipping, chained to a wall in a dungeon and dressed in wet lingerie. Woot!

Nevertheless, the question had to do with movies, not scenes in movies. Perhaps indulging my contrarian tendencies, I would also disallow anything famed for special effects. These are better described as "Entertainments" or opportunities to sell collateral pre-lawn sale merchandise, I would contend.

So for movies I'd cast my vote for either Gangs of New York or Godfather I.

All of the above is contingent on Amy Adams movies being made in the 21st century, if I am not mistaken..

After revisiting this thread and thinking a bit more, MY favorite of all time would have to be
"The Man that shot Liberty Valance".