What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More my way to vent my frustrations about the stupidity of the American Sheeple...

I only discovered this train wreck through an Onion article a few days ago. Greyson asks if it's watched ironically; to me, about 90% of modern television is just that, including Fox News.
GeoffC":song5p9p said:
If it wasn't for the internet connection I would dump my cable tv. Hell you can take my tv's if you want.
I've managed to get one without the other, and been (mostly) TV free since 1996. Better for it, but I'm always late to catch on to these so-called cultural phenomena. I'm probably better for that, too.

I saw a few minutes of one show while surfing for something to watch. Scary stuff. Takes a strong stomach to watch.
Shows like this give people without much of a life something to do.
You don't want people that watch that stuff running the streets while your out, do you? You're better off if they are home watching.
Pitiful stuff no doubt but the human thumb is probably quaking with chuckles all the way to the bank.

I never saw the show, as I hate reality TV programming. But, the grandmother was on the Opie & Anthony XM Radio show this morning and walked out insulted when they gave her a little grief. Truly weird stuff.

Modern fiddling while Rome burns, for most people. The more outrageous, and less like their own stupid lives (but just similar enough to relate), the better people are lulled into a false sense of clam.

It's funny, for those Brothers who aren't television watchers...isn't it a weird feeling and reaction when you suddenly find yourself in the presence of TV? Commercials, programming and the like? Sometimes, when I'm on the road, I have a TV in the motel room with limited cable, and it just seems so damned weird to me, everything I see. It's as if folks must be desensitized to the flashing, the loud, fast talking, the subject matter and the things they sell. I swear there's some kind of mental programming here, something to keep people coming back, like visual cigarettes. :lol: I just see if there's a ballgame (the original reality programming) on someplace, and if not, off it goes. It's like nails on a blackboard.

I'm so, so glad my eyes got corrected recently to read again.

8)

Television creeps me out.

Including Pirates & Steelers games (= 100%)

:face:

:cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat:

She is just getting richer. The ratings for this show went up, so now the network is going to pay them $20,000 per show. What is this world coming to? This show is on the same level to me as "Jersey Shore". BAD! I would rather watch grass grow than some of the shows on now.

They made fun of Honey Boo Boo and her mom on South Park last week. The episode was all about how "the bar" has been lowered so far that this is now entertainment. James Cameron comes in and saves the day in the Deep Sea Challenger...."the bar" was in the Challenger Deep.....good stuff.

You know, we watch tv but it's so rarely that it's covered in dusty between viewings. We de the computer to watch bbc stuff I miss but mostly we're readers and Bbc radio 4 / NPR listeners. When my little sister in law has loud daytime tv on it's kind of overwhelming. I think what bothers me about the trash tv phenomenon is that those people who watch it ironically are giving it all the money and ratings it needs while allowing basic literacy to decline.

scotties22":wpqdoa5r said:
They made fun of Honey Boo Boo and her mom on South Park last week. The episode was all about how "the bar" has been lowered so far that this is now entertainment. James Cameron comes in and saves the day in the Deep Sea Challenger...."the bar" was in the Challenger Deep.....good stuff.
This was a particularly good episode of South Park. Not just about the OP question but culture in general.

Dreadgerbil, you make an excellent point.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162-57536892/conor-knighton-on-tvs-obsession-with-rednecks/

Comedian Jeff Foxworthy had that famous routine about how to tell if you're a "redneck."

"If you've ever taken a beer to a job interview, you might be a redneck. If you can burp and say your name at the same time ..."

Well, these days, there's an easier way to tell:

If a cable television network is profiting by showing how backwards you and your family are, you might be a redneck.

For some reason, cable channels have become obsessed with "rednecks" - typically, lower-middle-class white Southerners.

The last few years have brought us "Redneck Rehab," "My Big Redneck Wedding," "Rocket City Rednecks," "Hillbilly Handfishin'," "Swamp People," "Redneck Island," "Duck Dynasty," "Bayou Billionaires," "Moonshiners," "Lady Hoggers" ... the list goes on and on.

This summer's breakout hit, "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo," featured a family in rural Georgia. TLC filmed them bobbing for pigs feet at the Redneck Games and passing gas on camera. The family members, who speaks English, are subtitled. And while they're always the butt of the joke, they seem to embrace the attention, even coining catch phrases ("You better REDNECK-ognize!").

It's hard not to see these shows as trafficking in a bit of "redneck-sploitation."

As someone who grew up south of the Mason Dixon line, it all makes me a little uncomfortable.

On one hand, I do know people like the stars of "Hillbilly Handfishin'," and I do think it's interesting to see them represented on TV.

But most of the people I know aren't ANYTHING like that, and I worry that the recent explosion of these types of shows perpetuates outdated stereotypes.

And I'm not the only one.

My home state of West Virginia denied a tax credit to MTV's upcoming series "Buck Wild," fearing that the show would portray West Virginians in a stereotypical, "derogatory manner."

I understand their concern. Based on cable's other offerings, they may have "redneck-ognized" a trend.

Yea, we ain't at all like that! :lol:

BTW, I can proudly say, I have never seen ANY of the shows mentioned in this.

Simple Man":hszxm9ka said:
Yup, you just watch out of the window.....

Sorry!!! :lol!: Couldn't resist! :oops:

beetlejazz":dc7l1xmb said:
Simple Man":dc7l1xmb said:
Yup, you just watch out of the window.....

Sorry!!! :lol!: Couldn't resist! :oops:
No, seriously! It gets pretty scary sometimes! :lol!:

"Paddle faster, boys. I think I hear banjo music!"