what pipe of yours smokes the best?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i.keenum

Reaction score
I have a old falcon I picked up at a antique store for 4 bucks that smokes amazing cool sweet and never bites. Bowl is small and don't smoke it in public because the look funky but my cheapest pipe smokes the best. :D

My best smoker is a hand made W.O. Larsen straight grain that I picked up as an estate pipe a few years ago at a very reasonable price from Iwan Ries in Chicago. Coming in a close close second in a Savinelli Laguna series in the 111KS model (ie a large billiard), which oddly happened to be the second "serious" pipe I ever bought, that thing will smoke anything great!

Surprisingly, I'd have to say my MM natural bent Spools smoke better than any other pipe I have. It's a poker shaped pipe with a fairly narrow bore of just over 3/4" and a depth of 1 1/2", and smokes cool and dry, and always to the bottom of the bowl with minimal effort on my part. I say surprisingly because I didn't think anything could best a MM natural Freehand.

I don’t know whether this is an oddity, but I have to say that all my pipes are great smokers. I don’t have any lousy ones. If I did, I wouldn’t smoke ’em. They all stand out in their own unique way and as a result, I smoke each one differently. The way it actually smokes, the way it tastes, the way if feels in my mouth and in my hand, whether it’s smooth or sandblasted or rusticated all come into play. My English and Irish pipes smoke differently than my Italian ones: different, not better. They all have design and history. Price is irrelevant. How much of it is psychological, one can only guess. But to me, it’s moot. They are all friends and companions.

Well... the best is like asking about a favorite movie or musician. There are many, but this past week I have had my Sasquatch Blasted Bent Brandy Egg burning almost everyday and it never disappoints.

I don't have any pipes that are unpleasant smokes. I guess for "best" smoker I'd have to give the nod to a Savinelli 320 KS, my Sasquatch Canadian and a GBD Canadian.

All my pipes are good smokers, it is just a matter if what type of pipe... briar, meerschaum.....I am in the mood for. I have always bought my pipes and continue to buy pipes in person, I like to carefully examine grain, stem, weight, size and feel. As a result all of my collection is fine for smoking and with well over 100 in rotation they are nice and dry.

Well, all of my regular rotation smokers are pretty dang good, but.....

Without a doubt, my Wiley Rhody 1/4 bent smokes anything well. Effortless, never a problem.

Got this back about 10 yrs ago. Can't remember what I paid, but the local TB gave me a deal. Probably something like $60 on a $100 tag.

It has a way cool tobacco leaf carved into the bowl. Don't have a pic or I'd post it.

Cheers,

RR

My Moretti cutty has really turned out to be my best all around smoker. It's balanced great for clenching, nice volume bowl, and there were never any soft spots inside the bowl. I really look forward to smoking it and I have over 50 pipes in my collection now.

all my cobs are great--the Danes are the preferred
my best briar is probably an old Kaywoodie bulldog, about 45 years old--
i was about to say that burley really sings in that pipe, but i say that about every pipe and burley--i love burley--

I have managed to gather a neat collection of good smokers. Some smoke certain tobacco blends better than others but there is one that consistently stands out no matter what I throw at it. Its my Castello trademark straight billiard. Perfect size, brilliant taste and smoke quality every time.

I'm partial to my Peterson XL315 and XL305 pipes (smooth and rustic, doesn't matter).

I'd have to say my Peterson system bent apple which I've lovingly smoked from new (having many pipes which I bought as estate pipes). I know there's a lot of debate about ghosting pipes and keeping one pipe for one type of tobacco. For myself I'm more a believer in cooking a pipe with one type of blend - in this case I've been smoking mainly English mixtures in the pipe (although I have smoked aromatics too, to no ill effect). I clean the pipe after every smoke - keeping it dry is the key to keeping the smoke sweet imho. Whatever you smoke, - enjoy! Duncan. :D

All of my pipes are good smokers, but two of them are perfect smokers. Never a trace of smoking wet, no matter how aggressively they are attacked. They are just awesome pipes, and provide an outstanding smoke even when technique is lacking. I want a whole rack of pipes like this:

A Bjarne half bent pot with a brass band and a blonde matte finish.

A Ser Jacopo R1 full bent ball.

Mod Note: Moving this topic to Ye Olde Pipe Rack tomorrow. Just a heads-up to prevent confusion.

A small Cornelius Maenz sandblasted Blowfish (not Discus). It's small (4.5") just like a nosewarmer. I love the shape of this particular pipe as well.

Tough Question.

Right now it's a toss-up between these two Danes:

On top is a Brakner Antique 1200. An oldie, but a goodie. Stays lit all the time.

Down below is a Pete Heeschen. He's a little feller, but you could drive a truck through the draw, it's so open.

mattia76":x11j8n51 said:
Tough Question.

Right now it's a toss-up between these two Danes:

On top is a Brakner Antique 1200. An oldie, but a goodie. Stays lit all the time.

Down below is a Pete Heeschen. He's a little feller, but you could drive a truck through the draw, it's so open.
Killer Heeschen! I'm surprised to see a full saddle stem as opposed to his signature half-saddle. I like It!