what pipe of yours smokes the best?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My litmus test is how well it handles a flake VA. If I had to choose a single pipe it would have to be my Castello sea rock KKKK. That was the first pipe I had a 'Ah-ha!' moment with FVF.

Well, mine's not fancy. It's an old Hilson Viva calabash shape. It's not the best nor the most expensive pipe I own, but if I want a pipe that won't fail me and that I know will give me a good smoke without a lot of thought or effort, this is the one I reach for.

My wife bought it for me as a graduation gift in 1974 when I received my MFA; it's in the photo in my graduate catalog. It's been at my side many times since; some good, some bad. It needs a bit of a cleanup, and there's a bite mark or two in the stem (probably the result of those not-so-good times). But it's like a good dog; no matter what, even if I don't give it the attention it deserves, it's a faithful friend that'll never turn on me.

IMG_3254.jpg

Airborne":7yrtghde said:
I don’t know whether this is an oddity, but I have to say that all my pipes are great smokers. I don’t have any lousy ones....

Not odd at all...I share the same joy. With great luck upon my journey, I've bought the pipes I have (plus a basket Leonessa that I gave to a bud to get him into the game...my comments include this pipe as well) and have yet to have a clunker!

:cheers:

fh016614.jpg
[/url][/img]

This Rad Davis squat tomato is probably my best smoking briar. Big and beefy with a churchwarden stem, it's perfect for reading or kicking back in the recliner (bowl resting on my chest) for a good movie. She consistantly provides a cool smoke no matter what I throw in her and the massive sandblasted bowl fills my large hand. Almost a foot long it's not a traveler but has found a comfortable spot alongside my chair.

At first I was going to say, 'all of them'. But that isn't true. A couple are really bad. The others it just depends on the mood. I'd say my two favorites are (1) a Moretti rusticated horn; and (2) a Paolo Becker sand horn. The Becker is lighter and smaller, so it works more for working at the computer. The Moretti requires a little more concentration. Both rock however, as do the others. . . . well except for those two really bad ones I mentioned earlier.

:farao:

I had this really small Stanwell that smoked any thing you threw at it beautifully. It always smoked for a much longer time than you would expect for such a small bowl. Don't know where I put it and can't find it. Sure do miss it! Hopefully I'll run into it one of these days.