What Shape Dominates Your Collection?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshpipes

Reaction score
Recently we were asked how we would dedicate our pipes if we only owned three. After posting, I looked around at my (now) small collection and realized that I still have more freehands than anything else (5), but Rhodesians and Brandies make up most everything else. With the addition of two new pipes (which should arrive soon), I'll have 5 freehands, 5 rhodesians, 4 Brandies, 1 acorn, and 1 tomato. I started with about 50 pipes, most of which were freehand, but after a major whittling have started buying more classically shaped artisan pipes, mainly rhodesians and brandies it seems.

So... what shape (or shapes) dominate your collection?

Lovats, lumbermen, and canadians here. I actually have to actively get myself to brows for anything BUT those shapes, and even then it tends to end with me looking for long shanked dublins...

I absolutely love the cutty shape. My second favorite are nosewarmers :!:

out of 18 I currently have here, 1 straight (inherited from my father) the rest bent to some degree (my, this thread is getting Freudian. . . .)

Bowl shapes all over, but 9 or 10 are in the apple/billiard/canadian group, 4 in the prince/bulldog/diplomat group. I couldn't locate my three favorite old pipes last month; 1 a bent billiard, the other two a diplomat the other maybe a bent pot?

On the whole, I prefer 1/4 bend shapes these days, although those make of 5 of the 18 currently in use

Mostly straight Billiards.

Sidebar straight Apples, nearly-to-semi straight Princes & (bent/straight) Bulldogs.

:face:

Of my current 16 pipe inventory, four are bent billiards and two are bent dublins. Only 4 of 16 are straight-stem pipes.

Billiards, a couple bulldogs, a couple dublins, and a lovat all straight except for the 1/4 bent dublins.

For me it would be the Bulldog/Rhodesian shape, both straight and 1/4bent. Out of 75+ pipes, I just counted 42 are this shape with the balance made up of Pots, Canadian/Lovats and a few Billiards as well as 8 large Freehands and 4 Meers. Only one full-bent, a Peterson Pre-Republic my father brought back from London in 1947. English style baccy and Bulldogs are made for each other :p

Tough question for me, I'm all over the map shape wise. Depending on how technical you want to get I guess you could say that the shape I have the most of are straight billiards. Even of that shape though, there are only 3 if you don't count long shanked sutff. Two of 'em are italian in style, although quite different from eachother in the details. The other is danish in style, so even amongst the same shape there is quite a bit of variation.

Now that I think about it though, there are also 3 bulldogs and 3 dublins in my collection, but two are bent and one is straight for the doggies and vice versa for the dublins...so I guess the short and easy answer to your question is...

...I don't know. Lol. :lol:

Mostly billiards for me. Followed by Dublins and bulldog/ Rhodesian, then everything else.

monbla256":urx1on8c said:
For me it would be the Bulldog/Rhodesian shape, both straight and 1/4bent. Out of 75+ pipes, I just counted 42 are this shape with the balance made up of Pots, Canadian/Lovats and a few Billiards as well as 8 large Freehands and 4 Meers. Only one full-bent, a Peterson Pre-Republic my father brought back from London in 1947. English style baccy and Bulldogs are made for each other :p
It is an honor to meet you sir!
1/4 bent Bulldogs for me as well!