What should my next shape be?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheel7734

Reaction score
So after I finish my 7 day set of bent bulldogs it will be the time to move on to a new shape. Question is what shape should it be? Most likely it will also be a 7 day set. Have to build a collection some how.

Billiard?
002-006-1395.jpg

002-015-2406.jpg

Bent Billiard?
002-006-1525.jpg

002-015-2455.jpg

Bent Dublin?
002-015-1982.jpg

DSC00482.JPG

If your a flake smoker, then you HAVE to have a set each of both smooth SB AND TB as well as sandblasted around a grp 5 in size! I have 25 of 'em and they let flakes SING !! :twisted: :twisted:

Knowing my penchant for crazy free hands and assorted asymmetrical nonsensical pipes: A well executed straight Billiard is the most beautiful pipe ever created.

puros_bran":oq9zqpp3 said:
A well executed straight Billiard is the most beautiful pipe ever created.
Yes, but a well executed straight Bulldog is the most beautiful pipe in the universe :twisted:

Bulldogs are great in their own right but the actual skill needed to make a billiard is exponentially higher... Finding one 'right' is moving past 'uncommon' into the 'rare' field, especially considering the number of carvers 'artistically' stretching the borders of traditional pipe shapes.

I've Never had to ask a group what I should get next concerning anything.
I'm sure you've got your mind already made up what you want.
So what ever you wish it to be, it should be. I know I sure as hell wouldn't
want anyone telling me what to get next. :suspect:

Since you asked!!!!...Of the three choices presented, I would kindly suggest the large billiard. I would also nudge you toward a large straight pot and the same in a bulldog! Happy hunting :santa: FTRPLT

Cartaphilus":t9072krk said:
The old Codger has spoken ! Heed his words  :twisted: :twisted:  But seriously, if you insist on choosing just btwn those three shapes the Billiard would be the way to go. And sandblasted finishes !! You need to get a 7 day set of Pots !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":vpao8mke said:
Cartaphilus":vpao8mke said:
The old Codger has spoken ! Heed his words  :twisted: :twisted:  But seriously, if you insist on choosing just btwn those three shapes the Billiard would be the way to go. And sandblasted finishes !! You need to get a 7 day set of Pots !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
And once you've got the pots, you will need some pans too :twisted:

puros_bran":b21lab24 said:
 Bulldogs are great in their own right but the actual skill needed to make a billiard is exponentially higher... Finding one 'right' is moving past 'uncommon' into the 'rare' field, especially considering the number of carvers 'artistically' stretching the borders of traditional pipe shapes.
This.

SpeedyPete":jptftzrn said:
monbla256":jptftzrn said:
Cartaphilus":jptftzrn said:
And once you've got the pots, you will need some pans too :twisted:
Only down where you live ! :twisted: :twisted:

Billiard, Bent Billiard, Bent Dublin?

Billiard, I don't get bent.

monbla256":qpazjms0 said:
If your a flake smoker, then you HAVE to have a set each of both smooth SB AND TB as well as sandblasted around a grp 5 in size! I have 25 of 'em and they let flakes SING !!
I had never had an eye for the lines on a pot. After reading an article by GLP, I decided that I needed at least one just to have had the experience. I made low bids on two GBDs and won them both. They are a remarkably good smoke, and I had just finished a bowl of LNF in a Savinelli bent pot. I have come to appreciate the shape since smoking them.

I am with @monbla256 on the pot recommendation.

Monbla almost has me sold on getting a big, wide pot. I have had them, but always had difficulty lighting the entire bowl without puffing like a steam engine. Then after I got the bowl going, it would develop a red hot cherry that emitted absolutely no smoke, just heat. Just about the worst experience with a pipe I can recollect. And it wasn't just one pipe; the several I had were quite consistent, and I got rid of my last by selling (trading, actually) it to a fellow BoB member. Hope he had better luck with it than I did. I must be doing something wrong, but having smoked a pipe since 1962, I can't imagine what it is. Maybe I'm just not...sob!...good enough to smoke a pot. Or I could be one of them things...what do they call them?...arseholes, that's it.

I would say billiard definitely. I own two, which I know isn't many. Most of my pipes are straight. My point is, the standard straight shapes are better in my opinion for normal daily use. For me, the bent shapes are better for home. I have more than a few of those as well, and one is probably my favorite overall.

puros_bran":tuasi71q said:
Knowing my penchant for crazy free hands and assorted asymmetrical nonsensical pipes: A well executed straight Billiard is the most beautiful pipe ever created.
So very true. And, I'd go one step further and narrow that down to the english billiard. The italian billiard can hit you like someone cursing in church.