What the devil...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There not saying what exactly caused it to explode so we don't know if he fooled with it or altered it some way. I just heard recently that some have found out how to smoke POT in them so ya never know. :scratch:
People and the media are always quick to blame manufactures for that big lawsuit, not that manufactures haven't proven in the past that they aren't to be trusted but, we should always wait to hear ALL the facts I believe before jumping too high. ;)

I believe there's more to this than we know. Like Ron I'll reserve judgement until I know the rest of the story. :)

AJ

Come now chaps. Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story.

Electronic cigarettes being a newer nicotine delivery system not owned by big pharma you're going to hear a lot of negative publicity. They all have a battery and some are bigger than others. So they definitely have to potential to "explode". This may be a real incident that warrants investigation and concern, as it appears to be. However most electronic cigarette news stories seem to be anti propaganda in some way. My $0.02.

Cell phones, laptops, and other electronic devices have caught fire or caused injury. Details are what make those stories worth reading. Was the device previously damaged? Modified? What brand is it? How was it charged? Was it used with any non factory accessories? When & where was it manufactured, purchased? Those are the details I need as a consumer in those markets. Without those details it reads a bit as "Don't want this to happen to you? Don't use any of these products. Don't be a consumer in this market!"
I guess that makes $0.04.

I've vaped for 4 years now. I've had exactly one battery problem, and it was when I was doing something I should not have been doing.

Heres a news flash though, and it's already been hinted at... People took a pill and went into a coma multiple times today. That's not in the news.. People smoked cigarettes and spent the last 6 months of their shortened lives awake as their body quick rotted from cancer. That's not in the news. Etc etc etc.

Big Pharm and Big Tobacco are quick to point to others problems and cry that they need to control it for safety reasons.

Cart, you mean people have used these vaporizers to imbibe a plant that grows in the dirt?? Holy Crap. Personally I think we ought to outlaw ALL devices that you can burn plant matter in.

I'll bet he won't smoke any kinda cigs after this !!! :twisted: :twisted:

Id love to know exactly how the thing could explode. Is the liquid extremely flammable? How do they work? There must be some sort of heat source to convert the liquid to steam, but I thought that was electric. There's no fuel source like butane which could explode like that.

Maybe pb can tell us. Though it may have sounded like it because of my posts up there, I have not once used a vapor product myself.

Sounds like the exploding cigar gag in the cartoons, but with more serious consequences.

I will stick to my pipes - Pegasus in a Savinelli 2320 Author as I type this!

The juice isn't flammable. This was a battery problem. Thermal runaway from a hard short in the wrong type of battery in a non vented chamber. Someone didn't know what they were doing. The device in question is what they call a mechanical mod; a semi custom build with no electronic voltage regulation. They're like the hot rods of the vaping world. The ones you see in the gas station are as tame as a Prius.

MisterE":lhsz6sdt said:
Id love to know exactly how the thing could explode. Is the liquid extremely flammable? How do they work? There must be some sort of heat source to convert the liquid to steam, but I thought that was electric. There's no fuel source like butane which could explode like that.
George beat me to the post; I'd written:

If a battery is short-circuited, or the circuitry it's powering fails and starts drawing more current than it should, the battery will overheat and the electrolyte in its cell(s) will boil. Modern cells have a pressure relief valve, but it's intended to handle only slight overpressure, as would typically occur during charging (the initial charge at manufacture for all cells, and recharging for secondary--i.e., rechargeable--cells). Exceed the valve's capability for long enough (we're talking seconds, here), and the cell will rupture explosively.

The juice is very flammable bro.. Put fire to it and watch. Lol. It's an alcohol.

This was a battery issue... Sub-ohm nonsense no doubt.

As much as I'd love to claim a typo on my part, the fact is I totally forgot about the alcohol. Lol

But it's a slow burning concoction with a pretty high flashpoint.  

If one soaks cotton with the fluid and stuffs that cotton into a coil with 10 watts heating it the fluid keeps the cotton from burning...just don't inhale the fumes.. Big pharm and big tobacco say the fumes could be up to 100 times worse than second hand smoke and second hand smoke killed the entirety of the western world.

I just re-read my last post and realized I made the exact same excuse for my behavior throughout most of 1993.

Here's my question: if they can make a little drop of liquid taste exactly like banana smores around a mesquite campfire, why do most aro pipe tobaccos taste like hot tap water?

George Kaplan":euhw5188 said:
I just re-read my last post and realized I made the exact same excuse for my behavior throughout most of 1993.

Here's my question: if they can make a little drop of liquid taste exactly like banana smores around a mesquite campfire, why do most aro pipe tobaccos taste like hot tap water?
Because, my dear Watson, aromatics smell, they are not flavourmatics. You rarely get both for the same price.