What to buy next? Opinions needed.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RealtorFrank

Reaction score
So I have been bouncing around a couple different pipes, on what to buy next, and have narrowed it down to two. I would like either a Jake Hackert or a Boswell. What are your opinions on the two?

I've heard a lot about Hackert pipes but never actually seen one. Not even a picture (try though I might).

Boswell's are very popular and they might take a while to fulfill your order (just because they have so many commissions to fulfill). Just my two cents but I think the Boswells are kind of clunky looking (don't know how they smoke).

Why not try a TRG?

http://www.handcraftedpipes.com/pipestore.html

or a Huhn?

http://www.pipecrafter.com/pipes/cityman/

I am in the process of commissioning a pipe from Mr. Huhn myself.

-Michael.

Very cool sites! Thanks for posting, although, now I want one too...

Nice, I will definitely look into the TRG's more, they are around the same price I am wanting to be at right now. But Huhn has some nice pipes, and may put that on the list for down the road. Thanks!

I can't comment on the Hackerts, but I have a couple of Boswells. I will say that, for the price, they are hard to beat as quality pipes go. I think they smoke well too. But they tend to be larger than average and some can have an unconventional appearance (colors, shapes, odd rustication spots, etc...). Overall I think they are keepers. Plus I think their customer service is top notch.

I hear wonderful things about Boswell pipes, though I can only attest to their blends.

However, from what I have seen and read, Boswell pipes are overpriced as of late. However, if you have the cash, and if they smoke as well as I have heard, they might be worth it.

While I doubt that you would be dissapointed with any of the pipes mentioned so far in this thread (had a bosweel for a while, good pipe) I would be remiss in my duties as a PAD enabler if I did not point you in the direction of a few of my favorite pipe carvers, for which you would not have to look much farther than this very forum.

Sasquatch (Todd Bannard)

Yakslon (Yuri Aksenov)

Mark Tinsky (American Smoking Pipe Co)

Pipemaker (Mike Brissett)

All post on this forum and make excellent pipes. There are actually several others carvers who post here as well (check town crier section) but I can personally vouch for these 4 in particular. If you have an idea of what you would like shape/size/finish wise, I would suggest sending one of these guys a PM or e-mail and seeing if they would be up for carving it for you. For the money I think these guys in particular are hard to beat.

Both! But I have had some Boswells, it's certainly worth having one in rotation. The comments here are valid -- they're big chunks of wood, but that's their style.

You won't go wrong with either as long as you get a pipe that fits what you are looking for in terms of specs.

All of the other pipe makers mentioned are rock solid. My preference are those of the Pesaro school. But of the North American types, certainly Bannard, Thile, Tinsky, and Rad Davis certainly rock. Fillenwarth's pipes are rather interesting as well. Definitely a different look. Much more impressive in person than in photos.

:farao:

I recently bought a TRG nosewarmer pot, and really like it. Very good value for money. Expertly made and excellent smoker. RM Davison is another guy who makes pipes, and will custom make one for you probably under $100, I have two of them, and they are a steal.

Thanks for all the input guys, I have been watching a number of youtube videos of people who have these pipes as well. Eventually I'll wind up with both, and plenty of others, but for the time being unfortunately just 1. Back to more research!

The turquoise inlaid on the TRG page is amazing. You just had to post those links, didn't you? Lol! :bounce: