What's a good winter smoke?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfactor87

Reaction score
Hi all,

'Tis the season and I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was on a good, hearty winter smoke? Any preferences?

Thanks a lot,

Matt

I love Frog Morton anytime, but especially on a cool evening. Esoterica Margate is heavier and has a very full long lasting finish. Same with Penzance, but good luck in trying to find some.

If I smoke English/Orientals at all, it is in the colder months. Last night I tried McC Wilderness for the first time and this will likely be my smoke of the night for the next few evenings. Other favorite English blends for colder evenings would include Dunhill Nightcap or London Mixture. Earlier in the day I tend to smoke burleys regardless of the time of year, Prince Albert and Carter Hall go great with my morning coffee. Weekends out raking leaves or working in the yard often find me puffing on Walnut, in a MM cob.

Froggie!
RedRapparee!
Dunhill 965, thanks Natch!!
Balkan Sas.

Then again our winters are not really that cold!

GLP Odyssey, hell who am I kidding? Anything by Greg is good anytime :lol:

I really enjoy lat blends in winter. GLP Westminster, Balkan Sasieni, SG Navy Flake & Plantation Evening are amongst my favourites. For a burley treat, Morley's Best is hard to beat.

Got to agree with Muddler, who has a fine palate. Cold weather demands heartier smokes: orientals, lats. For some reason straight VAs don't quite cut it, though FVF still gets smoked, usually as a second bowl. That Bayou Morning sounds tasty for my next tin crack.