What's in Name?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiefBull

Reaction score
I collect Hardcastles.
Something I noticed in an "E" bay offering is the phrase "PreCadogan"?
I have noticed that phrase with Comoys as well as Dunhills
What does that phrase mean?
I know, now, that at the time I bought my very first Pipe, a Hardcastle Pot-bowl in 1961, that I was buying what was essentially a Dunhill, 2nds?, whatever. Studying the genealogy of Hardcastle Pipes the one thing that is a common in all of the history regarding them is that dating them is "problematic", especially as WWII was a formative event, negatively speaking, in establishing some sort of historical slope for dating the different models that came out, combined with Dunhill's completed purchase of all of Hardcastle by 1961. But that said, in the text of the discussions what comes out is the phrase "Pre-Cadogan".
I can take away from this that the name 'Cadogan' then is not some technical descriptive of architecture concerning a Pipe but a geographical reference to ?'Cadogan'? in South Essex?
Referencing Dunhill's aggressive forward stance I think now that the name 'Dunhill' is more than less a conglomerate [not to be negative in description] name to cover a range of Pipes from Hardcastle to Parker.
Somebody help an "old Chief" out here?

regards
Anchor'sAweigh/SemperFi
ChiefBull