What's so special about this place?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Centurian 803

Reaction score
There are several pipe related forums on the www but I have chosen this one to be my home. Why is that? Well for one thing I don't know of anywhere else there is such a collection of folks who are so willing to share their knowledge with others. The people who post here on a regular basis are entertaining and informative.
And then there's the community thing.
Examples include: The Christmas packages for the troops. Everyone is so generous with their contributions.
The box passes in which somehow the box winds up getting bigger instead of smaller as it goes from person to person, each giving as much or more than they take.
I have had the priviledge of particpating in the Christmas packages and the Secret Santa thing and it was fun. But the other day I got to experience first hand how this whole community thing works. I won't embarass them by mentioning their names (Dock and Puros_Bran) but will just say that between the two of them they did a wonderful thing for me.
And that's what I'm talking about. The people here are all so generous and thoughtful that this really is a community. And that's what's so special about this place. :pipe:

Shhhh....

Someday or another we are all in position to make someone smile... Life really aint as complicated as we make it.

I know what ya mean, mate. This truly is one of the finest forums on the web. We have a Rubber Room, where we are left to our own devices (more or less) and are able to argue and debate as adults things that are important. We aren't censored elsewhere on the forums, and we are free to express our feelings.

...none of the "nice pipe" threads for twenty pages. :lol:

Just jokes. But seriously, fabulous people (Slow Puffs being another stand up member who has personally helped me) and an open place to share our hobby and passion with people from around the world.

I can only hope that there comes a time when some of us can get together for a bowl!

I am a member of another forum also...but I agree whith what you say...Im new to this site but i enjoy it..

I am in Iraq, Im a civilian this time but im here none the less and the members of the other forum put together a care package and sent it to me....

It is a great feeling to get mail period but to get a package from people who you have never met is awsome. When I get home I look forward to returning the favor...

Oh and there are several Army and civilian personal that where very happy when we all sat around smoking Pipes and cigars that where donated from people like you who come together and support the troops...

Thanks from me also :pipe:

I belong to several other online forums (not other pipes and tobacco forums, but several fishing forums, and a photography forum) and there is nothing like this site. This site is a about COMMUNITY. The people here are just outstanding, and I for one am thankful to have found my way to Brothers of Briar. The fact that Rickf28, abroad in Iraq, chose to respond to this thread only highlights my sentiments. This site ROCKS. Also, there are some absolutely hilarious members here who simply crack me up. This site is informative, educational, but mostly, it's just plain fun!

I too belong to another forum but IMHO this is one of the greatest and most generous groups of people I have ever met. My hat is off to all of you wonderful people.

I too belong to another forum but this is more like the neighborhood bar and
I like it. :)

Winslow :sunny:

It's the people that make a place special. I guess there is no nice way to say this, but all groups have their turds; what makes some special is they have fewer assholes than other places. So far, I haven't seen anyone get personal with anyone.

Incidentally, friends go with you. Other forums that I have left, my true friends and I have stayed in touch.

TO goes and calls someone a turd in the middle of a 'aint we special' thread...that qualifys for some LOL signs and a few cheering smileys...

This is the only forum I participate in, I had signed up on another (specific to a certain type of handgun) and basically got asked to leave the first day (because the rules were not clearly posted about newbie postings, and the creator/moderator/dictator was a 'turd' :lol!: (how ya like that P_B?)). These guys (the mods) tolerate alot of our venting & bitching, which I appreciate. The folks here are very generous with baccy, pipes & accessories, and most important with fellowship and acceptance. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

With only so much time in the day for these activities, I concentrate my communications here. I really don't mess with any of the other sites. :cheers: FTRPLT

puros_bran":pqprhtbn said:
TO goes and calls someone a turd in the middle of a 'aint we special' thread...that qualifys for some LOL signs and a few cheering smileys...
Well, some of us our special in another sense of the word... :sunny:

Really what I meant is that we develop friends rather than just acquatances. What separates friends from just people we know, is we tolerate friends.

But I haven't had anyone here get person nor correct my spelling. That makes you guys special in my book. My problem with other places is that I thought we were trying to get to know each other, so I would post more personal info about myself, which was used for ridicule.

I don't see stuff like that here...hopefully never will cause I'm running out of forums...

The reasons I lent my affiliation were based primarily on the desire for knowledge regarding pipes and receiving said knowedge through similar tempraments that I associated with pipe smoking; the name itself 'Brothers of Briar', it not only has a religious and thereafter calming effect on me, it promotes secular fraternity and an idea of a friendly club. Also I noticed that after my dad passed away I'm always looking for people to lend me instruction in various things that mystify a young mind, and realising this wont be relevant to the majority, the feeling which I get through being a member of the forum instills me with childish tendencies and willingness to learn, in effect, things that will lead to successful manhood, represented through the range of topics discussed on this board, books, shaving and smoking lol all friendly, very male habits.
The accompanying photos of the Three Musketeers and the like also helped seal the deal lol.

pipetongue1":thu4w3x5 said:
Shame on you Winslow1 :D Change :D Ken :tongue:
Pacem for Winslow! :tongue:
I haven't been in a neighborhood bar for many years now,perhaps I
should have said that we have the cameraderie of the "Bath House" here. :affraid:

Winslow :sunny:

I fell off the wagon during the cruise... But I've been back on it since I hit U.S. Soil....

I had an EPIC FAIL!

Didn't get drunk but I drank everyday....

My steel resolve to stand as solid as an oak lasted about 5 minutes on the boat...

"You really aren't dinking?"

"Yeah screw that, I'm staying sober!"

"You want a beer?"

"Yeah.".....

The Mrs already has about 12 familys wanting to go on Cruise '10 ... If that's as good as I deal with the 24/7 temptation I think I'm just going to stay home next year...