whats the difference

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDPipeSmoker

Reaction score
ok, so I have about 12 briar pipees, 1 meer., I dont notice a single difference in the way they smoke. So for you guys that have beeen smoking longer than I. Is there a real difference? other than the obviouse

On one hand, no, there isn't. You put fire in one end, and suck out the other.

On taste alone, I rate most of my pipes about equal. I do have a few that for reasons of physics, magic, luck etc offer a slightly different flavor profile. My Radice really brings the sweetness forward in some blends, for example.

The big difference for me is that certain pipes are more comfortable than others, certain pipes gurgle less than others, or smoke with less effort and attention, never need pipe cleaners etc.

When I light my big Peterson Anniversary pipe, I know I'm done with the matches until the end of the bowl. It just... stays lit.

So that's what I have come to appreciate - pipes that behave well, and balance nicely and fit my teeth etc etc. Add into that mix the hope that the pipe smokes without issue, and I'm a happy camper.

Is there a real difference?

Yes. With some qualifications.

When each of them are new and unsmoked there is a vast difference between the flavours of meer and briar. It shouldn't be much of a challenge to notice the difference - right?
But as a pipe is used it tends to take on the flavours of our tobaccos. This shouldn't be a surprise either. Large differences and even signature flavours are replaced. By the time one has put many hundreds and even thousands of bowls through them the difference is quite subtle. Even so I think that meerschaum pipes never get quite so sweet as briar pipes.

I agree with Sasquatch, the man knows his stuff.
I have an Ashton that has a flavor that none of my other pipes have, and it's very tasty. But for the most part, it's more about the way they perform, as opposed to the way they taste.

Sasquatch":6miwwdiy said:
On one hand, no, there isn't. You put fire in one end, and suck out the other.

When I light my big Peterson Anniversary pipe, I know I'm done with the matches until the end of the bowl. It just... stays lit.
Got a picture of it for us? I may have to get one of those as my XL23 Kinsale is my favorite pipe but it doesn't have quite as big of a bowl as I'd really like to have.

Sure... bottom pipe in this picture. It's a monster. I don't think there are too many of these floating around. If you google "Peterson 140th Anniversary Pipe" you don't cook too many up. But it's a wonderful pipe, and worth hunting.

cutdown.jpg

For current production, the "Birr" in the castle series looks pretty huge, and the XL90 is a pretty good size.

The XL16 is pretty close too, I guess: http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=73204

Sasquatch":3o815kv9 said:
...The big difference for me is that certain pipes are more comfortable than others, certain pipes gurgle less than others, or smoke with less effort and attention, never need pipe cleaners etc....
These are the major differentiating factors I have noticed as well, and I would add that I've found that some pipes I've owned smoke cooler than others. By that I mean how warm the pipe gets on the outside.

If you have 13 pipes and do not notice a difference with respect to these, and you are satisfied, then I congratulate you about your good choices. When my collection was this size I was already not very pleased with a few of them.

Steve

thanks for the input. I do notice a difference between the pipes i have. Some smoke slower some are cooler, and I have a couple a dont tend to smoke anymore because they get real hot and gurgle real bad.....I was just interested in an opinion better informed than mine because I love my CAO Becker, its a meer and I dont see what the big deal is between the briar as apposed to meer pipes.

thanks again.

Meer is fragile and can also crack in cold weather but doesn't need drying time like briar. Cobs are the best of both worlds, but are somewhat disposable and not as aesthetically pleasing as briar or meer. It's best to have all three in your collection. :D

It´s funny, I like all my pipes. There are some that I just like more than others. They have that something that just works- and those are the ones that I reach for most. The aren´t the most expensive ones always either. Some will work better with certain blends or cuts, and some are just great for anything. Really, if you have one like that that, no matter who the maker, hang on to it!! Those pipes are hard to come by.