What's the difference?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stick

Reaction score
So, in my limited time as a piper I've understood vulcanite to be the main choice for stem material, but I keep hearing acrylic being mentioned also. Would someone be so kind to explain the difference and are there other materials commonly used?

Vulcanite is rubber based. Acrylic is umm acrylic.

Vulcanite is usually softer but is prone to oxidation.. Some quicker, some slower depending very much on the quality of the vulcanization.

Acrylic does not oxidize but is harder... With the level depending on the quality of the acrylic, acrylic is brittle.

There's no 'right one'. Like most things in life they both have their plus/minus... In my mind they are equal when made of quality components by a technically minded man/machine. Stem making is not a place for artistic expression...

You will also hear the term Ebonite, which is a high quality grade of vulcanized rubber and Cumberland, which is Ebonite with some color swirled in (usually red).

A lot of factory pipes use a pre-formed stem which is essentially ground up Ebonite that is molded into a stem shape. These stems are more prone to oxidization than the ones made from rod stock.

The stems on most artizen pipes are made from Ebonite or Cumberland rod stock.

Acrylic stems are harder on the teeth than Ebonite, but more durable and come in a wide variety of colors and color combinations and they will not oxidize.

Todd

Yeah, But were does that leave Lucite and Bakelite?
Just poking the bear Todd.

Bakelite is the preferred plastic of the Cold War era Comblock.

Acrylic will snap at the tenon if you drop your pipe just right (done it twice), but I don't have a strong preference.  I sort of favor vulcanite, but I love the Forever stems on my cobs, and they're acrylic.

Hey--anyone know about bone as a stem material? How does it hold up? Seems like it would dissolve or something over time.

I have a few old bone and horn stemmed pipes that for as old as they are they're in really good condition but, most weren't smoke a lot and certainly not by one who chews his bits.
I would imagine if you were a chewer they wouldn't last to long but, being the material
there made from may lengthen there life and or stop a chewer from chewing as much.
I've had a lot of them come across my bench and I don't remember one ever needing
extensive repair from chewing or the like.
Secondly, the horn is much more comfortable in the teeth then bone, bone is much harder
and the shape I've seen they usually are carved in is round (1/4" dia.) making them really a pain to clench in my opinion.

Hey thanks chaps. That's exactly what i was after. I was just thinking Ron, what about maglite?

Stick":f7pcc9vx said:
Hey thanks chaps. That's exactly what i was after. I was just thinking Ron, what about maglite?
I have a few of those also but, there only good for brightening your view, I don't think I'd want to use one as a stem. :scratch:

Cartaphilus":kvck2x8h said:
Stick":kvck2x8h said:
I have a few of those also but, there only good for brightening your view, I don't think I'd want to use one as a stem. :scratch:
And then you've got to always be getting batteries for 'em :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Plus I don't think they'll pass a pipe cleaner.

Lest we not forget...Bill Ashton-Taylor developed "Ashtonite" for his pipes. I love the bits, but have no earthly idea what it is!!!!! :roll: FTRPLT