What's The Theory Behind A "Centred" Chamber?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty Mouse

Reaction score
I've read here and there that a centred tobacco chamber with even walls is crucial to preventing a burnout. I'm not sure I fully understand how otherwise would promote a burnout in any way. I see freehand's with uneven walls all the time, many are pricey pieces. I get how a thick walled pipe would keep your pipe cool and protected but I don't see the science behind a quick burnout with an off centred chamber... I can see it happening with one that tilts one way or the other as it would direct more heat to one side, but not off centre.
Is this just some more pipe folklore or am I missing something?

I've read a few scarce sources that claim this "centered chamber" thing, but as far as it being better for the pipe? I don't know about that. It's serious lack of care and/or imperfections in briar that usually cause burnouts, if you ask me. I have pipes that have an off-centered chamber (mostly freehands) and they do alright--two are older estates, too! They've seen use.

Marketing gimmick, maybe? As in, "...OUR pipes are centered," alluding some other competitor might not be. *shrug*

In addition, thick-walled pipes don't keep your pipe cool and protected, per-se, but simply keep your hands from getting hot. You can still mistreat a thick-walled pipe to ill-effect and smoke improperly in it, again, to ill-effect (or your tongue's).

8)

I've never read that, and don't believe it. Burnouts are caused by bad briar or too much heat, or both.

Sasquatch":apzih367 said:
I've never read that, and don't believe it. Burnouts are caused by bad briar or too much heat, or both.

...for me, what stood out was an old Peterson's ad I came across a while back (I'll post it if I can find it) said something like, "...centered bowls for a reliable smoke," and something about how even heat distribution was a plus. Very "marketing" sounding. :lol:

...or Rusty Mouse knows how to yank a chain or two around here--there's some evidence to that, too. :p 8)

Rouse rabble, I always say.

Sasquatch":te6j67kj said:
http://www.pipesmokemag.com/0997/feature2.htm

This is where I read it most recently, first paragraph, second line down. Not saying I believe everything I read on the internet (Kyle's tag kind of says it all) but obviously somebody does and posted about it in an article that somebody read and posted it in their article and so on...

Kyle Weiss":x1mhril9 said:
Sasquatch":x1mhril9 said:

...for me, what stood out was an old Peterson's ad I came across a while back (I'll post it if I can find it) said something like, "...centered bowls for a reliable smoke," and something about how even heat distribution was a plus. Very "marketing" sounding. :lol:
Interesting, as I'm asking because it's a Peterson's chamber of mine that I've noticed is off centre, hence my concern, research and resulting thread.

Read the article. Think some of it has merit, think his "...If one side of the pipe wall is thinner than the other, you have a good chance of burning through the briar after smoking a few pipe fulls of tobacco..." is a bunch of malarkey. Unless the pipe has a 1/16" side, and if you bought that pipe and wondered what happened when it burnt out (because on many levels you had no clue what you were doing) then... well, lesson learned. :lol:

I seemed to read a lack of any mention of checking bargain pipes for flaws in the bowl...which are much more likely to cause smoking damage issues. Fascinating.

8)

images

This is now a blowfish thread

I have a Savinelli Autograph and the chamber is so crooked in the bowl (how'd they manage THAT?) it's ridiculous.

It smokes.... just like every other pipe I have.

I have 3 pipes with bowls drilled off center. A Ferndown, a Savinelli Autograph, and a Mario Grandi.

The only time it bothers me, is when the bowl is empty, and I look down into the bowl. :lol:

jefe1037":qrs8cmwq said:
This is now a blowfish thread
Wheeee!! Another tangent!
Mmrf....must...resist.......urge to............p-post......

-Famous last words of "Threadjacker" Kaplan

Sasquatch":o254vanq said:
Sas said it, but it bares repeating.

If Sas said it, it must be true. He's forgotten more about pipe engineering than I'll ever know. :king:

Why because he makes a piece of briar with two holes in it? Pfft. If thats the case I'm an expert on child engineering.

As long as you monitor the thinnest part of the bowl for heat, don't see it to be a problem. Any quality briar can be burned. I burned a notch just above the draft hole in an artisan pipe, and didn't realize it. I spoke to the maker, and he said it was not uncommon, and was caused by the steep angle of the draft hole resulting in thin briar above the draft hole.

I think he means to say you can smoke hotter with a thicker walled bowl. But if the bore is eccentric, heat will be concentrated at the thinnest part of the bowl. If you burn out the thin portion, it just means you're smoking too hot.