Whats the word on pit bulls?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, Labs...the number ONE most popular dog in America...we've pretty much destroyed them. I see a lot of idiot labs, with really lousy conformation, no brains, etc. Just got too popular. Two breeds of note that are terrific "watch dogs" or "home defense" dogs---Cheaspeake Bay Retriever and Bouviar des Flandres. Do not argue with either. They are both sensible, great family dogs, that will die for you.

Bouviar des Flandres look silly, but I'd have to agree...they're super-cool dogs, too. If they like you. :)

There aren't too many specific breeds of dogs I don't like on principle. It's the breeding itself that's mostly made them stupid, irrelevant to their breed or hard to train. Admittedly, I'm not a fan of giant dogs or overly drooly dogs, just because they often don't know what they're capable of. :lol: I'm more a vicarious dog owner, I let my friends have them, and once in a while I'll call and ask if (insert dog name here) can come out and play. I'll take them for a walk or to a park. Works out for everyone, including the owners if they're sick or their career consumes them.

At one point I can recall, "the book" on Chessies was that they were straight working dogs that weren't a great choice as family members because they weren't that sociable-minded.

Gimmie a gool ol' Yella Dog Mutt, Anytime. :heart:

:face:

Harlock999":zjds4qz2 said:
My son was bitten by a Lab, which I thought were mostly benign.
I wasn't with him at the time it happened, which might have been a good thing.
Not sure how I would react...
But now I know that deep down, all Labs are blood thirsty killers.

Just kidding about the blood thirsty bit... 8)
This is one thing people don't understand, people get bit by dogs all the time. But if a lab bites a kid, the kid maybe gets some stiches, if a pit bites a kid... man that is a different scenario. My father in law had an akita (now these are dogs I am not real sure about) it bit a little girl on the face. And like a pit bull, they have intense jaw pressure and a ripping instinct. Instead of a few stitches it was major plastic surgery. Unlike me however, he refused to get rid of his dog, even though his grand kids were living with him at the time.

If you have a big strong dog you have to keep them in line, and take care of the problem if they are people aggressive.

rev

Akita/Shar pei dogs are a little different from other dogs. I've heard they were bred not only to be single-minded and aggressive, but particularly territorial. They have more direct "wild" lineage (as I believe was found via the gene coding of certain dog breeds) to the wolves from which they were developed...which can make them unpredictable to contemporary human lifestyles. They're fascinating animals, but I sure as heck wouldn't approach one. :lol: To me, pits seem like stuffed teddy bears compared to some of the old-world Asian breeds.

I was showing dogs back when the Akita first hit the American market. At one of the big west coast shows the leading Akita owner around put his champion male in for best of breed. His younger male, son of the old dog, was in as Winners Dog. Yep...don't get two related Akita males close to each other. They locked up. I was in the next ring, ran to the concession stand and grabbed a bucket of water, while about 6 people were holding the dogs off the ground, and I tried to drown them==it worked they disengaged. Have never trusted Akitas. They are not particularly bright and can be quite aggressive. I hear they taste fine, though.

thedeep":cneejr7k said:
Have never trusted Akitas. They are not particularly bright and can be quite aggressive. I hear they taste fine, though.
Akitas are pretty funky dogs...I keep my distance from 'em. Glad to know they have good culinary applications though! :D