what's up

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HolyFirkins

Reaction score
hello..i've smoked mainly cigars for most of my life and have smoked a pipe maybe 4 times and am looking to get into it much more. i've found some great resources as far as searching for cheaper priced pipes and how to tell fake from legit..any tips on where to find discount tobacco is appreciated..

Hi there HF, and welcome to the BoB, filled with lots of information and 'colourful' characters. I hope you come back often and enjoy each visit.

Greyson":ao3f35d8 said:
Hi there HF, and welcome to the BoB, filled with lots of information and 'colourful' characters. I hope you come back often and enjoy each visit.
thanks..i caught the itch for pipe smoking! any suggestions for purchasing first pipe and tobacco? i have a few buddies and pastor friends who smoke pipes but dont really know much about it..

Welcome! Unfortunately I can't be of much help in finding cheap tobacco. But, I hope you enjoy meeting everybody here.

Brian.

Welcome aboard.

You don't say where you are from and what resources might be available to you locally, so I would suggest that you talk with what pipe smoking friends you have as far as guidance on pipes and tobaccos.

If you have a REAL pipe and cigar store in your area, you might make a visit and tell them what you've told us. A good pipe store can offer a wealth of knowledge.

As far as pipes go, I much prefer briar over all others, having said that, I think Missouri Meerschaum pipes offer the absolute best value for a new pipe smoker. These are the perrenial corn cob pipes and come in different sizes and shapes. Prices vary, but they are just a few bucks. I like the Legend, which is more of what most consider a standard size and I like the Pony, which is a smaller pipe. Both provide excellent smokes and allow the flavors of the tobacco to come through.

As far as tobaccos go, the sky is pretty much the limit. Many people like the old standard tobaccos that were found at the drugstore years ago. I smoke quite a bit of Carter Hall. If you go online you will find:
www.marscigar.com
www.pipesandcigars.com
www.4noggins.com
as well as many others. I have dealt with all three of the above and you can expect terrific quality and service from all.

As far as briar pipes go, many swear by Stanwell, Peterson and Savinelli and they offer a wide range of prices.

There are some good to great bargains on E-bay for estate or used pipes, but you would probably be better served by gaining a bit of expertise before venturing down that road.

Hope this helps some, and again, welcome

Estate Pipes at smokingpipes.com are a great deal. I just got 2 Petersons a System Standard and an Emerald for a little over 100.00. Can't beat that.

Bulk tobacco purchases at Pipesandcigars.com are a great deal and good value as long as you are purchasing more the popular tobacco blends (Trust me, quality may vary with bulk tobacco from P&C that doesn't move as fast). 8oz-23oz of Stokkebye Luxury Bulleye for $2.34 an ounce is a nice price. ;)

Welcome to BoB! If you live near a Brick & Mortar Tobacconist, that would be your best bet for starters. Feel free to ask them any questions you may have. If it is like the B&M I have in town, you may have the same level of pipe expertise. :lol:

thanks for all the input guys. i have been researching pipes and tobacco like crazy, and a lot of what you said is exactly what i've been reading, for instance i have been looking at mainly savinellis and petersons, and know that briar is a good wood to search for and what most are made from. i've been scoping ebay for some cheaper deals, but will also look at some of the websites you've listed. a few i've been on such as pipesandcigars.com i also like boswell's site, they are about 3 hours away from where i live. there is a local place about 10 mins away from me which i occassionally have gone in over the years mainly for cigars, but went in last week to discuss pipes..thanks again also for reminding me to update my profile. i'm in south jersey, usa..about 15 mins from philadelphia just over the bridge..

also, i did purchase a corn cob about 7 years ago and used it a few times, but have moved about 4 times since then and have no idea where it is! it was a decent little pipe, but am looking to get something a little nicer now..

i possibly have the option to purchase 1 of 2 pipes for the same price..both are peterson, one is a captain pete and the other is a shamrock..what are your thoughts on them?

Welcome to the forums! I'm sure others will comment on those particular pipe brands, personally I just go for what appeals; but that's easy to say after 35+ years of on and off smoking; not helpful to a beginner, I know! Best of luck

"T"