Whats your best cheap wine

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the price, it's hard to beat 'Oak Leaf'. The Shiraz is quite good, and only $3.00 / bottle at the local Wal-Mart.

But for the record, their Cab is weak and the Merlot is so-so.

I like Corbett Canyon. I can usually find it on special for around $11-12 for 2250 ml (or, 3 X 750ml). I only buy the Merlot.

Interestingly, I have a container of Black Box merlot that I bought for comparison, even though the price was about 2 ounces of tobacco higher. The BB has a very slightly "edgier, cleaner" taste compared to CC's "creamier, milder" taste. But for the price differential, I prefer the CC.

A local grocer was giving out samples of a spanish wine which i bought a couple of bottles for under 10 bucks. It's Abai by Vino de la Tierra De Castillo, as for the exact kind I cannot say; I don't know enough of wine myself nor does it say on the bottle, but I can tell you it's damn good stuff!

Our Daily Red, an Organic wine...just a no frills red wine.

I don't remember the name but my local store has a $4 Australian Shiraz that is highly quaff-able. I'll report back later with the name, of course you know that I have to go and buy a couple of bottles now. Oh Shucks!

I used to like Carlo Rossi Paisano with pizza or red-sauced pasta. After Hurricane Katrina, we found it also works with most MREs :roll: I really haven't been able to face it since

RE: Oak Leaf -- I found the Pinot Grigio/Chenin Blanc v light but drinkable.

Avia's offerings (from Slovenia) are usually 'cheap' but decent

Bub":z3xe6fuj said:
I like Botabox
http://www.botabox.com/
Merlot and shiraz are good
Those bota boxes are the best box wines ever. It's pretty rare that there isn't one on our counter. The Shiraz is my fav from them.

I guess my definition of "inexpensive" is $15.00 or less. In that category a few that are standards in my wine rack are Casilliero Diablo, Erik the Red, and Gnarly Head Old Vine Zin.

If you're not into the reds as listed above, I also have to say that I've never bought a bottle with the Fetzer label that disappointed me, red or white.

This is probably going to get me tossed straight off this forum.

Riunite on ice. Lambrusco or Bianco, I don't care. My European friends despair of me. They've tried, but.....

WingRider":n2njnqqr said:
This is probably going to get me tossed straight off this forum.

Riunite on ice. Lambrusco or Bianco, I don't care. My European friends despair of me. They've tried, but.....
Despite being a bit of a wine snob in some ways, I think Riunite works nicely with Tex-Mex.

After all, Rule #1 of both wine drinking and wine pairing is: drink what you like

If others around you don't like it, you get an extra glass

Rob_In_MO":lvhssv7k said:
I was waiting for someone to say 'Boone's Farm'. :lol!:
In my case, not since I was the fraternity punch maker back in the 70s and used it as an ingrediant in the 'fruit punch' :drunken:

Fetzer Cabernet, only $7 a bottle. I was a little disappointed when my wife bought it since it was supposed to go with a special dinner, but was very pleasantly surprised by how good it turned out to be.

I agree about Botabox as well, we often have either that or a Black Box on the counter.

Charles Shaw from Trader Joe, 3 buck chuck as some call it, it has a little story about it. :study:

R.A.":7nu8z9fs said:
Charles Shaw from Trader Joe, 3 buck chuck as some call it, it has a little story about it. :study:
I am with RA. 2 Buck Chuck cannot be beat. :drunken:

I'm a huge fan of Pinot Noir, however I imagine due to the difficulty I've read about of cultivating the vine, I doubt I've reached anywhere near the top of "amazing", but I love the ones I've tried (Robert Mondavi the best). I'd say best bang for my buck that I've found, and someone mentioned before would be Yellow Tail Shiraz, its fairly steady from year to year and is a great dinner wine. It won't blow anyone away with its flavor profile, but is extremely palatable to me myself. I always keep a couple of bottles around, Yellow Tail is turning out to be one of my favorite every day wines. I recommend everyone at least try the Shiraz...