What's your favorite finish?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I'm new here, so my apologies in advance if something like this has been asked. My hunger for pipe/tobacco discussions is very great.

What is y'alls favorite finish?

I have some very nice smooth grained pipes, but I find myself enjoying my blasted pipes more and more. What's y'all's preference?

I'm very fond of blasts. Below are a few pics of my absolute favorites....

whatrusmoking002.jpg

Cookesnstuff020.jpg

blowfishesswimmingupstream010.jpg

hopefullythelastpix4awhile013.jpg

BAW030.jpg

crosby014.jpg

newpipepics4show023.jpg

Darkntastypics009.jpg

Nice ones Dock!

I am growing fond of blasts though I do really like the smoking qualities of a nice rustication and I have more of them. I absolutely love Bill Feuerbach's "new era" Kaywoodie Thorn rustication, Mike Brissett's and Mark Tinsky's rustications are outstanding also!

Is there a difference between rustication and blast? If so what is it?

Never understood this?

I don't mean to hi-jack the thread... just a quick answer... thanks... and then back on topic.

Justpipes":mjqqweuj said:
Nice ones Dock!

I am growing fond of blasts though I do really like the smoking qualities of a nice rustication and I have more of them. I absolutely love Bill Feuerbach's "new era" Kaywoodie Thorn rustication, Mike Brissett's and Mark Tinsky's rustications are outstanding also!
D'accord! That done put my collection to shame. I am partial to Brian Ruthenberg's blasts as well as Rad Davis's blasts.

I am yet to land a Larry Roush; think I saw one in Doc's pics. The one with the green cumberland, no?

Slow Puffs":m6ewzi2o said:
Is there a difference between rustication and blast? If so what is it?

Never understood this?

I don't mean to hi-jack the thread... just a quick answer... thanks... and then back on topic.
Rustication is a particular carving pattern designed by the carver by hand usually with some specialized tooling. Blasting is done with a sand blaster such as is used in machine shops to clean metal. The carver uses the sand blaster to blast out the rings (thus the term ring grain) around the bowl or to do a shell finish that is a more random blast.

Texas Outlaw":bzkqzjgb said:
Justpipes":bzkqzjgb said:
Nice ones Dock!

D'accord! That done put my collection to shame. I am partial to Brian Ruthenberg's blasts as well as Rad Davis's blasts.

I am yet to land a Larry Roush; think I saw one in Doc's pics. The one with the green cumberland, no?
Dock's collection puts most everyone's to shame! We're use to it! :lol: :lol: :lol: We still love him anyway! :D :D :D

Hard question to answer for me,I love Ser Jacopo Roulette wax drip finish,Radice's
Underwood wax drip,the gloss finish on some of my Pete's Limited editions,and the
rugged Radice Bark rustication.

Winslow :sunny:

Texas Outlaw":elucx9bx said:
Justpipes":elucx9bx said:
Nice ones Dock!

Duh, you can read the Roush on the band. What is the pipe with the whitish stem?

The B's are Bonaquisti?

Texas Outlaw":a7k8ge5a said:
Texas Outlaw":a7k8ge5a said:
Justpipes":a7k8ge5a said:
Nice ones Dock!

Duh, you can read the Roush on the band. What is the pipe with the whitish stem?

The B's are Bonaquisti?
The one with the bakelite stem is a Bruce Weaver. The big tan poker is a Bonaquisti...

I call "DIBS" !.............................if you ever want to rid yourself of that Cooke Poker :lol!:

Super Duper there, Dock !!
Top Notch :cheers:

Danish_Pipe_Guy":cvx7gosr said:
Texas Outlaw":cvx7gosr said:
Texas Outlaw":cvx7gosr said:
Justpipes":cvx7gosr said:
Nice ones Dock!

The B's are Bonaquisti?
The one with the bakelite stem is a Bruce Weaver. The big tan poker is a Bonaquisti...
Cool, I have a Bonaquisti that is a hybrid between a poker and a hawkbill, but I couldn't find it to compare. It's a sitter so it was probably sitting on a shelf next to a bottle of whiskey and I just didn't see it.

Dock,
any info on bakelite? Is it comparable to anything, or is it it's own material?

I don't think you'd notice ANY real difference between bakelite and acrylic. It's more or less as durable and comfortable (if you find acrylic comfortable)

Justpipes":16iqzzw8 said:
Texas Outlaw":16iqzzw8 said:
Justpipes":16iqzzw8 said:
Nice ones Dock!

Dock's collection puts most everyone's to shame! We're use to it! :lol: :lol: :lol: We still love him anyway! :D :D :D
I can think of at least a dozen friends who's own collections make mine look scrawny!

There's some very real comfort in knowing that no matter how great your pipes are there's always someone else out there with faaaaar better! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thought I'd include a few pics for those straightgrain fanatics here too :lol:

DocksPipesRAwesome010.jpg

newimprovedpipepixs1016-1.jpg

EvenMorePipePics003.jpg

NYPipeShowNewPipes002.jpg

Newshotspipes017.jpg

newimprovedpipepixs1003-1.jpg

I can't look anymore ,,,, :lol!: ,,,it's like a candy store,,,,fantastic pipes,,, :pipe:

I think my keyboard is shorted out from all the drool. Man Dock take it easy on us!!!! :( :(

Stefanos":hd8bcefl said:
I'd vote for blast generally. For visuals, bird's eye catches my eye.
I agree with the bird's eye grain on a smooth pipe. I much more prefer a cross grain with birds eye!