What's your favorite fountain pen ink?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I've got a number of middling nice fountain pens like the Lamy 2000, the 3 P's...Pelikan, Platinum, Pilot...Namiki Falcon...Kaweco...TWSBI...in various nibs including stubs & soft versions of fine & medium...plus lots of dip pens, drawing pens, etc.  

To keep these hungry feeders fed I love picking up cool & unique inks when I can afford it. I just ordered two that were new to me: the Sailor Jentle Copper Pheasant (Yama Dori) & the deep red (Oku Yama). Both are 4 Season Fall I believe. Should be a nice match. I find myself greatly appreciating the Japanese inks, like Iroshizuku but love the J Herbin 1670 series and have oodles of Noodlers ink on hand as well. I use my selections for drawing as well as writing.

Anyway, that's all back story. What I want to know is if you have any favorites that you would recommend. And...what do you most use it for...letter writing, journaling, drawing? Any suggestion as to paper that you like? Notebook choices? Just looking to broaden my experience.

Love yama-dori as well as oku-yama. The kobe inks are nice as well from sailor. I really love the pilot iroshizuku inks. The couple 1670 ink samples i used were nice and i plan on getting all of them. I really hope i can get all my pens and inks from Texas as i dont have any in Nc. Wish the wife would hurry the Heck up with the divorce. I guess all but my montblanc Jules Verne are replaceable.

Sounds like a rough row to hoe. Hope things work out well for you and certainly that you recover your pens, etc. So what did you use them & the inks for, mostly? Any favorite papers? I really need to get some new paper choices going. I've used one or two styles of Rhodia notebooks for way too long!

Blackhorse":ae2iihlc said:
Sounds like a rough row to hoe. Hope things work out well for you.
Ah i have been dealing with it since she bailed on me and left me stranded in Nc a year and half ago. One day at a time.

I have a few old fountain pens that have been in the family for years and get handed down. A couple of my favorite jar fountain pen inks are Omas Sepia Fountain Pen Ink and Noodler's. I use Midori Color Paper Notebook, no ink feathering or bleed thru. Also use Rhodia, in my opinion the best quality today. Just my honest opinion.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Oh yeah, well. Inks! I love inks that shade well. Not all do. But the colors are like nothing you can get in any ball-point. Favorites...................................................still sorting that out.

In no particular order.

Noodler's Sequoia - A really nice green that shades well. Well behaved in my pens. It is a pine-green color. You hear the name and see the color and it just makes sense. Writes fairly slick.

Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black - Might be one of my favorite Blue-Black's. Extremely well behaved and writes good and slick. It is on the gray side of Blue-Black. If you like simple, Brillant Brown is a nice fall color, and green for spring. All have similar behavior and write well.

But I always had trouble making up my mind about Blue-Blacks. Noodler's FountainPenNetwork.com Van Gogh Starry Night Blue, & Manhattan Blue. Private Reserve Ebony Blue, and Electric DC Blue. All similar, all different. All well behaved in my pens. I used more of these than any other colors.

Noodler's Legal Lapis - One of those Blue-Black's that are on the green side. And it is one of those bullet-proof kind of inks. Not washable once dried. A cousin to this one is Noodler's Contract Ink. Not a Blue-Black, but Aquamarine. Get on a shirt, or paper, and it's there to stay.

Noodler's Nikita - was my bookkeeping red color when I worked. An outstanding blood red color. I did not like the free pen that came with the eyedropper bottle. But my Pelikan's liked it very well. But I usually used a simple glass dip pen.

Noodler's The Violet Vote (Iraqi Indigo) - A nice purple. Some middle eastern countries (Iraq) dip their finger in purple ink to show they have voted. The name changed since I bought it and it is possibly discontinued now. Something about not being able to get a required pigment I think. I only found one nicer looking purple. That is Noodler's Kung Te-cheng (Emperors Purple). The Violet Vote is well behaved, and The Emperors Purple is not. Emperors Purple may possibly damage some pens (Lamy). The Violet Vote writes nice and smooth, where The Emperors Purple needs a very wet nib and then it creeps badly. But they are amazing colors.

Similar to Kung Te-cheng is the Baystate line from Noodler's. Only use in a pen you trust with a wet nib. Blue, Grape, and Cranberry. Colors so intense it will make your eyes bleed. Known for sure to have trouble with some Lamy's. I think Lamy changed some plastic in their feeds.

Noodler's Nakahama (Whaleman's Sepia) - Supposed to replicate the ink whalers often used, which was supposedly made from squid ink found in the stomachs of whales. Very dry writing, so use with dip pens or a very wet nib in a pen you trust. Shades reasonably well. Interesting brown/black/reddish tones.

I have several of the Pilot iroshizuku inks. momiji is supposed to be the fall colors ink. All prefer dry writing nibs. Very wet, slick, creepy inks. Nice bottles.

I like my Rhodia notebook, but have almost always used copy paper for most of my writing. And much of that was recycled. I created my own forms and that is what was provided.

Excellent report. I was on the verge of ordering some Kung Te cheng. Have seen some yeas and nays on it on the FP Forum website...so-o-o-o, think I'll hold off on that one at least for now.

I too love inks that shade well (Apache Sunset) and especially with a nice smooth 1.1 Stub for effect. I'm also drawn by ink that sheens (Copper Pheasant) and to some extent glitters like the J Herbin 1670 series. So reports that highlight these aspects are very useful.

My drawing inks center on those that represent colors found in natural sketching scenes...blacks, greys, browns, greens, etc. Among these I use water proof, water resistant and those inks that flood their color onto the page when manipulated with brushes and brush pens. So reports of actual usage in those regards are also appreciated.

Great stuff guys, keep it coming!

OMG!  Major score (at least to my my way of thinking).

One of my favorite blue inks is Diamine Majestic Blue. It sheens like crazy and behaves well in addition to being a great saturated intense blue. Also makes a great trio with Diamine Dragon Red and Sherwood Green.

Since I appreciate the Majestic so much I've always wanted to try out the "legendary" Akkerman Shocking Blue from the Netherlands...with the marble in the bottle neck. I always thought it was "unobtainium" - but just discovered it here in the USA and ordered some.

HooAhhhh!  Happy Birthday to Me!

Edit: Ooh! Ooh! I nearly forgot. Vendor was Vanness Pen Shop in Little Rock. Very fast out the door and here already. They also sell empty ink bottles for $3 and up...etched with whatever text you want. Choice of 5 fonts. So I ordered a really nice little bottle and had them etch " Shocking Blue" on it so I could divide the ink. Three bucks. Very cool!

https://vanness1938.com/products/akkerman-05-shocking-blue

Carlos":1qamkhv9 said:
Oh yeah, well.  Inks!  I love inks that shade well.  Not all do.  But the colors are like nothing you can get in any ball-point.  Favorites...................................................still sorting that out.

In no particular order.

Noodler's Sequoia - A really nice green that shades well.  Well behaved in my pens.  It is a pine-green color.  You hear the name and see the color and it just makes sense.  Writes fairly slick.

Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black - Might be one of my favorite Blue-Black's.  Extremely well behaved and writes good and slick.  It is on the gray side of Blue-Black.  If you like simple, Brillant Brown is a nice fall color, and green for spring.  All have similar behavior and write well.

But I always had trouble making up my mind about Blue-Blacks. Noodler's FountainPenNetwork.com Van Gogh Starry Night Blue, & Manhattan Blue.  Private Reserve Ebony Blue, and Electric DC Blue.  All similar, all different.  All well behaved in my pens.  I used more of these than any other colors.

Noodler's Legal Lapis - One of those Blue-Black's that are on the green side.  And it is one of those bullet-proof kind of inks.  Not washable once dried.  A cousin to this one is Noodler's Contract Ink.  Not a Blue-Black, but Aquamarine.  Get on a shirt, or paper, and it's there to stay.

Noodler's Nikita - was my bookkeeping red color when I worked.  An outstanding blood red color.  I did not like the free pen that came with the eyedropper bottle.  But my Pelikan's liked it very well.  But I usually used a simple glass dip pen.

Noodler's The Violet Vote (Iraqi Indigo) - A nice purple.  Some middle eastern countries (Iraq) dip their finger in purple ink to show they have voted.  The name changed since I bought it and it is possibly discontinued now.  Something about not being able to get a required pigment I think.  I only found one nicer looking purple.  That is Noodler's Kung Te-cheng (Emperors Purple).  The Violet Vote is well behaved, and The Emperors Purple is not.  Emperors Purple may possibly damage some pens (Lamy).  The Violet Vote writes nice and smooth, where The Emperors Purple needs a very wet nib and then it creeps badly.  But they are amazing colors.

Similar to Kung Te-cheng is the Baystate line from Noodler's.  Only use in a pen you trust with a wet nib.  Blue, Grape, and Cranberry.  Colors so intense it will make your eyes bleed.  Known for sure to have trouble with some Lamy's.  I think Lamy changed some plastic in their feeds.  

Noodler's Nakahama (Whaleman's Sepia) - Supposed to replicate the ink whalers often used, which was supposedly made from squid ink found in the stomachs of whales.  Very dry writing, so use with dip pens or a very wet nib in a pen you trust.  Shades reasonably well.  Interesting brown/black/reddish tones.

I have several of the Pilot iroshizuku inks.  momiji is supposed to be the fall colors ink.  All prefer dry writing nibs.  Very wet, slick, creepy inks.  Nice bottles.

I like my Rhodia notebook, but have almost always used copy paper for most of my writing.  And much of that was recycled.  I created my own forms and that is what was provided.  

Nailed that one on the head. I've got a bottle of Baystate Blue, and while it's probably my favorite shade of blue due to how intense it is on paper, it stained a Monteverde reservoir I had. It luckily hasn't affected any other inks after a very very thorough cleaning, but it leaves a mark.

For everyday writing, I'm a big fan of Noodler's Black Swan in English Rose; a good, dark red without getting too far into either black or red. Goes down well, doesn't bleed or feather even on crappy paper, and is easy on the eyes.

Next for me is Diamine's Oxblood. It's practically purple, and dries on paper looking like blood. It does have a tendency to bleed here and there, so I try to use it only with a medium or fine nib, never stub.

If I need to make important notes that I'll see and remember, Noodler's Dragon's Napalm is great. I think you can see it from a mile and half away if you put it on pretty thick.

For funsies, I've got a bottle of De Atramentis Tobacco Brown (part of the scented inks they've got); smells more like toasted almonds and vanilla than tobacco, but it's a fun gimmick. It's an okay color, though it's a bit pale for my taste. If it were a more saturated brown, I'd like it better.

The Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris is another reeeeeeally nice ink, and is a blast to just look at on a page. Is it black? Is it grey? Is it blue? Is it green? I don't know! :rabbit:

I have a toooooon of sample-sized inks (thanks to BH, being the kind fellow he is) that I like to doodle with, but the ones that I like their names elude me right now. I'll need to go look at the sample bottles and edit my post later to reflect the faves.

I rather envy you folks with penmanship good enough to warrant using a fountain pen.

My handwriting is so sloppy that I normally print in block letters. Sometimes it seems as though my tiny brain and my hand are disconnected. I'll make extra loops and drop letters otherwise. Goes back many years to when I was a kid.

My late Mom had beautiful handwriting, pretty much textbook stuff. Work of art really. Sadly it didn't pass down!

Cheers,

RR

Back when I was looking for inks they were impossible to find and when you did they were expensive. I ended up buying Dr. Ph Martin's Bombay India Inks in Red, Yellow, Purple, Black, and Sepia. They aren't high end inks by any means but are actually very nice for daily use. The caviat here is I only use them with dip pens. They don't seem to feather much or bleed through. The colored inks seem to stay on top of the paper where as the black and Sepia become a part of the paper. The other inks I have are boxed up somewhere and I haven't ever had a chance to use them.

Jim

I don't doubt it. Some of the dip pens are monsters. Mine are all smaller to medium as I used them to write ID numbers on bone fragments that were as small as a dime. Anything smaller got bagged and labeled. Oh and yes India ink is a huge no no in fountain pens. I have to get a bottle of something nice for my fountain pen, i ran out a couple of months ago.

I have been busy lately.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: I ordered my grail ink: Hakase Dark Sepia

My current faves and inked up are as follows.

Maruzen Athena Renga (reddish brown) in a Delta Dolcevita Oversize (silver trim) w/stub nib

Stipula Moss Green in L2K w/ Pendleton Brown stub-italic

* FAVE ink: Maruzen Athena Sepia in MB 149

I am all about sepias/browns and greens.

This week I went a little overboard:

Kyo ono oto inks: green, blue/gray, and black (which for me is rare, but it shades and the chroma is complex

Sailor 4 seasons grey/purple, which shades like it's black

and 3 5ml samples of Iroshizuku Tsukushi, Momiji, and Yama-guri

That's what is INCOMING. I have some other things I will order from JPN after some holiday $$$$ comes my way.

Yeah, the rabbit hole can get rather deep. :)

Blackhorse":wy1jvfar said:
I have the two Iroshizuku browns and appreciate both very much. So well behaved. I like the sepia tones for two-color black & brown pen and ink drawing.
The iros are very well behaved and look great on almost any paper.

Let me know of you want to try anything you don't have. I have tons of sample vials and, well, a lot of ink.

Cheers!

Hardly anyone's "favorite," I suppose, but I like the bottle it comes in for the little shelf inside. Just tip to fill it. They were a little before my time, but my father used these, along with the giant (quart?) jar you could get. Discovered on ebay, of course, and pre-'64, because of the lack of a zip code in the company address on the box. I'm not familiar with most current bottles of the exotic fluids, but the ones I've seen are a p.i.t.a. except when full. Maybe the Mont Blanc is OK. Anyone dig?