Whats your favorite tobacco and why?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys have listed a lot of diffrent blends that I want to try and some I have tried and enjoyed. (Also some I would love to try but are no longer in existance.)

It was too simple of a question and one without a "real" answer (It was intended to spur on good conversation, as it has). I like many of you have multiple "favorites" and it is always changing as my taste evolves and I view that as a good thing.

Part of the fun of smoking a pipe for me is trying new blends and experiencing the diffrent flavors of tobaccos that are out there. Right now I am in an exploring phase with tobacco searching for the next " BIG THING" taste wise for me. :lol!:

For me there are multitude of reasons why I pick a smoke 1. My mood 2. The pipe I want to use and how long I want to smoke for. 3. The setting and situation. 4. What I had eaten or had to drink prior to or during the smoke.

Thinking about this brings me to other questions. How to pair the right pipe to the right tobacco? How to better train my pallet to better taste the nuances in the tobacco's? I have a headache perhaps I am "over thinking" things. Lol.

BuckeyeBoy34":756oi1na said:
You guys have listed a lot of diffrent blends that I want to try and some I have tried and enjoyed. (Also some I would love to try but are no longer in existance.)
Thinking about this brings me to other questions. How to pair the right pipe to the right tobacco? How to better train my pallet to better taste the nuances in the tobacco's? I have a headache perhaps I am "over thinking" things. Lol.
You have brought up two good questions which really have the only answer in years of smoking experience. Back when I started pipe smoking, we did not have the type of tobacco access as is available thru the 'net today. So we tended to smoke what was readily available at the local B&M and over time aquired a "taste" for a "type" of blend/mixture or two which we smoked regularly in the pipes we had aquired. This gave us the opportunity to really "learn" a tobacco blend/mixture and in my opinion, still would be the way to go. The ability to "pinball" from blend to blend as is afforded smokers today does nothing but make it vastly harder to "get" what might be appreciated in a blend/mixture. Smoking only one or two or three blends is not as much "fun" as what is purported on many of the Forums, but it WILL teach you something about tobacco and pipes and your own enjoyment of it all. Hopefully, you will have become a pipe smoker as a part of your life, not as a "hobby" so you have a lot of time to get to all the stuff out there ! JMHO :p

JamesFersch":wy9uzwsk said:
Dunhill Royal Yacht. I don't know why, but I'm smoking this blend about 2/3 year now or something like that on a daily basis, and it never get's old.
A brother just gifted me some of this. It's one you don't hear much about, but I like it a lot.

Royal Yacht! That was my first intro to straight Va's back when I was smoking alot of 965. I smoked the Murry blended stuff and have not tried the "new" stuff. Since straight Va's are a regular part of my smokes these days, I'll have to give the "new" stuff a try :p

monbla256":vuwj7kfn said:
Royal Yacht! That was my first intro to straight Va's back when I was smoking alot of 965. I smoked the Murry blended stuff and have not tried the "new" stuff. Since straight Va's are a regular part of my smokes these days, I'll have to give the "new" stuff a try :p
A.J. (ajn27511) sent it to me. I mean to review it soon. PM me an address and I'll split it with you.

George Kaplan":h4brpg6t said:
monbla256":h4brpg6t said:
A.J. (ajn27511) sent it to me. I mean to review it soon. PM me an address and I'll split it with you.
Thanks. I just PM'd you :lol:

Here lately, i've been smoking a lot of Erinmore Flake and EMP - both quite a change from my usual Lane Bulks. Can't say I have an absolute favorite though...

I guess if I ever had to choose 1 tobacco to smoke and that's it - then it would be Lane's RLP-6.

Being a pipe smoker for about 40 yrs having a favorite is hard to put a finger on. I WILL say that I think I've smoked more Half and Half than anything else. But like monbla256 I started smoking when mostly all that was available was whatever the drugstroe had. There was a time when all I smoked was H&H up till about three years ago. H&H just didnt' seem to be cutting it anymore. Something had been changed in it. When I took the feeling to a forum several other guys seeemd to agree.

Sooo, H&H was a very long time favorite and only smoke for years. When I gave H&H the boot I discovered the internet and the vast menagerie ov blends.

Nowadays I'm gonna say that GLPease's Cumberland is my favorite. However not an everyday, all the time smoke. It's the one I think I appreciate the most. Why? I feel it's full strong, and easy to fill, burns well and has a decent room note.... and I LIKE the taste, fresh or aged a minumum aof 6 months.

Having had the privelege to smoke some tobaccos that aren't available in the states, I can safely say that if McQuaids reddi-rubbed were avbailable to me it would definitely rank in the top three along with Cumberland along with my custom blend that pipesandcigars.com makes for me wheich is three burleys light to dark and perique, with a dose of dark fired thrown in. What %'s ? I don't know. I had some discussion with Russ Oulette about what I had an idea about and he offered to put something together for me. I just know that when I want a 1/2 pound or so i just oredr up my custom blend and voila! it's on its way

I have found Tewksbury's Hobbit's Weed to be quickly becoming my "go to" tobacco, regardless of the time of day. Later in the evening, I will smoke whatever I choose out of the drawer.

George Kaplan":kizv089p said:
A.J. (ajn27511) sent it to me. I mean to review it soon. PM me an address and I'll split it with you.[/quote:kizv089p said:
George, I've tried to PM you twice and my message just sits in my Outbox so mabe you could PM me and I'll see if a reply works better! Thanks :lol: