What's your hobby?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokey-smokey

Reaction score
You spend a long day at work and come out ready to bust a nut the next time a phone rings, spent a long day dealing with less than reputable characters, go home annoyed and with a high blood pressure. What's the one thing you do at home to help you out? What do you do to take your mind off work? I mean besides pipe smoking/pipe making.

Maybe you are retired and get bored. You go hunting and fishing but the weather has been implacable for the last month and you begin to feel the cabin fever. How do you entertain yourself?

I'm just curious as to what other pipe smokers do for fun. I like to read, build models, I keep a large aquarium, and occasionally play a video game. How about you?

pepesdad1":fodjd6an said:
Cooking...mostly soups and stews.
You, sir, certainly know the finer things in life.

Soups: No one beats mine. If you lived close I would challenge you to a "soup cook-off."

Stews: Dang, nothing beats a saucy stew with a nice chunk of crusty bread. When I was younger I lived in South America and they eat capibara (a huge rodent with red meat). Best stew I've ever had, with chunks of carrots, tons of sauce, and cassava bread.

I'm hungry now

Making people laugh, smoking a good pipe with good tobacco, collecting as many pipes as I possibly can afford & restoring pipes, making pipe racks and, some day getting back to making a pipe or two, maybe more.

It's on my avatar, a '79 MGB. I also have a '66 Triumph.
Beyond vehicles, the wife and I enjoy doing yard work and landscaping. That keeps me busy once the warmer nights hit. It's not unusual to work till 8:30 or dark, eat dinner and go to bed.

Reading, listening to music, amateur (ham) radio, and backyard astronomy.

Ham radio, vehicle repair/mods, reading,  and pipe smoking (obviously).. oh and making beer  :bounce: 

Fishing, Fishing and Fishing,

I also like to go to the gun range when I can. i have just started to get into hunting a bit.

i love to read and make music, and of course anything that has to do with a pipe.

my friend and i have started to learn some sword fighting techniques but i think the neighbors are starting to get nervous when we practice in the side yard.

Retired from "formal" work...these days I am raising my 4 youngest children...12 to 17, and that is a full time job...I also help out my grandkids 8 and 10 and when I do have time I enjoy reading, cooking, writing, music, and keeping tabs on my pipe collection.

With three little boys, I get very little free time to myself for hobbies outside of Pipe smoking. I hunt whitetail like crazy between October and December. I enjoy cooking and since the kids are always hungry, it is pretty easy to enjoy this hobby often.

I love to read and am usually drawing. I also like to do leather work, such as sheaths and boxes of different kinds. I also carve leather. I like to Chip carve and carve pipes by hand and since I am disabled, I sleep a lot, LOL.

Playing, composing, and recording original music. Not so much a hobby, rather a way of life and purpose.

All my avocations have become vocations...........

;) 

Cheers,

RR

I dabble in pipe making. It's still a hobby, but I'd love to make it a more full time gig some time...or at least retire into it.

Coffee roasting and home brewing. I am interested in bread making.

Growley":u5utbzjs said:
I dabble in pipe making. It's still a hobby, but I'd love to make it a more full time gig some time...or at least retire into it.
Brian, your pipesmith skills should be enough to make you a full time carver. I've only one of your creations but it's enough to tell me that you have the talent to take this to the next level.

I sincerely hope you can make that leap. You deserve it! Follow your dream.

8) 

Cheers,

RR

Fishing, fresh and saltwater
Guns, about a dozen handguns and rifles
Shooting at the range
Pocket knives, about 60
Knife sharpening w/ the Wicked Edge System

Growley":2nc8y3b1 said:
I'd say you do more then dabble Brian. Your pipes are indeed a fine treat to own.

As far as hobbies for myself, I love to read history. I am also heavily involved in Freemasonry, more of a passion then a hobby I guess.

Well, my job is also my hobby, kinda. I guess pipes fill the niche, too. I love to get out on the river with my fly rod, but that's down to a week a year, if I'm lucky.

I like to fish especially fly fish, and tie flies. This past fall I started flying RC planes and have been repairing the one I keep crashing or building new ones. When the weather is more cooperative I also like to mountain bike and golf when I can.