What's your knife?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hawker":p6zndjix said:
"That's not a Knife, This is a Knife."

Although not something I'd carry every day here's a knife I'm especially proud of. Inspired by Crocidile Dun Dee.
It was at that time the 13th knife I made.

I forged it out of old Ski-doo springs (5160) that was sitting in the neighbours junk pile, used band saw blades from a saw mill (L6) with a center layer of new O1 tool steel. It is 13 3/8" overall w/8 1/2" blade. Although it was a fun project I'd never use such rusted up material to start with again as I wasted more time and money in sanding belts cleaning it up than what the new 5160 or L6 material would of cost. The handle & guard were made from 1/2" X 1 1/4" brass bar stock with an 1/8" brass spacer between the Ebony & Bacote. The sheath was made with Wicket & Craig English Briddle leather.

The whole project with case took approx. 55-60 hrs.
Hawker, that is truly a work of art. I wish I had the ability and the knowledge to undertake such a project...

Stick":dsbgj66q said:
Hawker, that is truly a work of art.  I wish I had the ability and the knowledge to undertake such a project...

Thanks Stick. It's really not that dificult and can be done with pretty basic tools and a steady hand. With a cheap 4 x 36 belt sander pretty much anyone could do it. I made my first few knives on a $100 belt sander before deciding if it was something I wanted to spend more money on to do.

As for the knowledge part I was very fortunate to have a buddy who's a retired school teacher/knife maker as a mentor. He's one of those guy's where all you have to do is show him a picture of something and say "I wonder how that was built" and the next time you see him he will have pages printed off from the internet and wanting to get together to try it.

I used to have a couple of Husky/Malamutes and mentioned that it would be cool to have a dog sled to pull the kids around, about a week later we were headed to the city for some white ash to build them. He didn't even need one but thought it would be a fun prodject. They turned out so well his still sits in his living room and that was about 15 years ago.

Many years ago in a jungle far away I became a firm believer in the Kabar combat/survival knife. When going into
rough country mine goes with me. Obviously it's not for EDC. I own several Case knives along with a few Bucks.

I use the Mora HD Companion or my Falkniven F1 as my fixed blades these days. My pocket knife is a Frontier stock knife.

Edit: Recently added a Condor Bushlore and tend to carry it more than the F1. The Mora has proven itself to be a winner too.

I LOVE knives. I used to collect the am as a young boy. I've had a Benchmade for years that I still love. I lost a Spyderco that was so friggin sharp it cut the mess out of me once. Last year my wife got me this Smith & Wesson M&P that I use frequently.

Spyderco:
Q.jpg

Smith & Wesson M&P
227603.jpg

Benchmade
BenchmadeAFOIIAuto9051SBK.jpg

EE34C6CF-8257-4885-AB1E-CFF641E033EC-2456-0000045B4B74D001_zpsdefcf8a7.jpg
[/img] Son made this one for me, I cut my plug tobbaco with it.

Just bought and received a Laguiole en Aubrac. Very pretty, but I think it's a piece of crap. The blade doesn't center when closed and it rests against the spring. What's the point of sharpening it? They really are pretty, but I won't be buying another. I'd post a pic, but I'm losing interest as I type...

Richard Burley":619k0wup said:
Just bought and received a Laguiole en Aubrac.  Very pretty, but I think it's a piece of crap.  The blade doesn't center when closed and it rests against the spring.  What's the point of sharpening it?  They really are pretty, but I won't be buying another.  I'd post a pic, but I'm losing interest as I type...

why not return it?

Opinel no. 5 (everyday carry)
Victorinox Cybertool (in my trouble bag)
Leatherman Wave ( on my belt camping)
Victorinox Slim Signature flash drive knife ( on my key chain)
Gerber Steadytool ( in my camera bag)

Here's most of the current collection, My every day carry is the SOG Tomcat. The one below it is a SOG Mini Aegis which
lives in a first aide kit strapped to the Hog.
4smmLAPL8FSrFg2LqOtvKBY1cR4x3KD89p1552O18kT7c-K043IVsLQwMOraCofmZYxND8Ztuf4pvg=w2400-h1350-no

Since I live in a European town, my EDC requirements are much more humble than what seems to be necessary in America :D

So my EDC is a Spyderco Bug:

xoBPR52.jpg

and a Victorinox Huntsman:

victorinox-huntsman-VT1.3713-d1.jpg

If I expect that' I'll need a more sturdy blade I'll take a Leatherman Crater
Crater%20C33TX.jpg

But most often I'll take a cheap Chinese knock-off of Spyderco poliwog for really rough use.

1091243_090122002410_KN-011.jpg

If I'm going camping then I'll take a Husqvarna hatchet and it'll be adequate for felling small trees, splitting foot thick logs, or slicing meat after all of that.
hatchet-cd80ee9.png

With the hatchet I don't really need a knife most of the time, but I'll take this one any way:
sku_7604_1.jpg

and that's probably the best 15$ I've spent on a piece of steel. Surprisingly comfortable grip and a good edge, thick and resilient spine.

Sigh, might have to have a photo shoot tomorrow!
banjo

This doesn't include my Chef Knives and misc ones..........

17304241919_b3fb90010b_c.jpg

17488415512_acd4c3c788_c.jpg

17302923960_617e1dc8bc_c.jpg

17302742108_d89a401b2d_c.jpg

17488410222_10ce24c2d2_c.jpg

In the field it's either my Randall Trout & Bird...

IMG_0673-1.jpg

Or this Marble's (although the game shears are what I use most)...

IMG_0256.jpg

As someone said earlier, I like the classics!  Though on a daily basis it's just a small Swiss Army.  I'd love to carry a REAL knife but I just can't do without that toothpick!

This one works especially well for preparing a little JackKnife Plug.....

While I have a number of pretty nice knives from my bow hunting days, though not so nice as many I've seen here, the one I carry everywhere with me is the SOG Twitch I. I always have this one in my right front pocket with the knife clipped to it.

It was a gift from a friend maybe 5 years ago and I've carried it with me ever since. It's big enough to be useful and small enough that no one seems to freak out if I take it out for use, plus it weighs next to nothing.

Mine is an early version and little different than the newer Switch I's based on this picture from the SOG website.

sog_twich_I.jpg

I'm like Ron, I'm still carrying my Yellow Delrin handled Case Trapper, like this one, that I carried in 'Nam . It's done a lot of things some much fancier and larger knives might not do as well since I got it!! :twisted: :twisted: