What's your new gun routine

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fungunner

Reaction score
So gun nuts', do anything special when a firearm follows you home before taking it to the range or field.

Used the rest of my windfall money to order a Ruger SR1911 I picked up today and put it through my pre-range routine before heading out on Friday for break in before my IDPA match on Saturday. It gets a detail strip, clean and lube, but I also do a tune up fluff and buff on the fire control group before reassembly. Not a full trigger job but I do clean up a lot of the rougher machine marks on the parts that rub together with some flitz and lapping compound. I try not to tinker too much with my stock firearms but I feel a connection to a firearm that I've worked on myself.

My franken guns are another story altogether.

What say you?

Im kinda the same way. I have to take it apart and clean every thing up. I havent had a new one in a long time, so no kosmoleen. I too like a clean crisp trigger. It is good to know the workings of your fire arm. The military makes one learn their fire arm inside and out. Like you said gives you a relationship with your gun. Makes one better in my opinion. Let me know how you like your ruger 1911. Ive been eyeballing them ever since they came out.

Unfortunatly I don't get to shoot as often as I like being in the city. I will be going whitetail and grouse hunting. Guns were cleaned and put away after last season. Will do a cleaning again before using them this fall.

New ones get a tear down, once over, and lubed. I don't "fluff and buff" till I have @ 500 rounds down the pipe on pistols, 50
or so on rifles. That way if there is a reliabilty issue I can see better where the problem might be.

After that, buff and polish, pistols get 100 rounds of carry ammo before going in the holster for regular duty. Rifles then get a serious zero and ballistic cheat sheet made.