Whats your pairing drink with tobacco?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The most common thing I drink is iced green tea (sencha and gyokuro), so find myself most often with a pipeful and that. It's a nice combo, but really green tea is too delicate to stand up to any pipe tobacco in my experience and the subtle flavor is lost. It becomes watery. Which is fine...I drink it anyway...quarts of it a day.

Sometimes with a spicy tobacco, I enjoy pop like Dr. Pepper or Coke. When the acid hits my peppered tongue....delightful!

I don't drink anything harder than beer and really enjoy a good aromatic when I do. I love the interplay between the sugars/bitterness in the beer and the flavoring/sweetness in the tobacco. I love Trout Stream with beer, also Autumn Evening--in the autumn evenings :)

jacko":qp6e8hdm said:
Folks

I did some searching and couldn't find much relating to the topic of pairing certain types of tobacco with drink. Personally I have had some great success with certain blends of English paired with coffee (cappuccino), iced coffee, beer (Guinness stout) etc. I would be interested in hearing if any BoB members have some hidden gems they would like to share? To date I have never found a tobacco that doesn't go well with a good cup of black coffee...

I love a chickory coffee or sweet tea w. english blends or virginias. I LOVE a good mocha with a cherry blend, it's kinda like a chocolate covered cherry. OR, if I am having an alcoholic beverage, I make sure it is sweet, like a 12 year old Jamaican rum on the rocks (I prefer APPLETON ESTATE), Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka, or a Highland Single-malt Scotch Whisky. Regular coffee works well for navy flake. That's what I do. So let's recap: Chickory, Sweet Tea, Mocha, Rum, Firefly, Highland Malt Scotch. Yep. Can't go wrong. Depends if yer feelin roasty & robust or need to tickle yer sweet tooth. ~to which you could easily decide w. a coin toss =)

I love a nice cup of smokey lapsang souchong tea, especially with a latakia blend. Ditto for a nice peaty single malt scotch whiskey. Especially nice is the tea with a splash of whiskey.

Recently I've been working some awful hours, finding myself still awake after sunrise. I'd unwind by grabbing a cup of coffee and a pipe and enjoying both on my front porch. There was something about the combination of coffee, tobacco and the cool morning air; there's nothing quite like it.

I like a little Irish Breakfast tea, sometimes sweetened with a slug of Irish Breakfast whisky. Also like a little Myer's Jamaican dark rum in coffee, sometimes with a pinch of brown sugar. Either pairs nicely with the aromatics I mostly favor--MacBaren's Plumcake or Black Ambrosia. A good bourbon works, too. I tend to like scotch with latakia, just finished a glass of Laphroaig and a bowl of Balkan Saseini. Nice nightcap, and I'll start the morning (well, afternoon) with coffee and Plumcake. Straight, though, have to work Friday night.

Michaelangelo":djq05muo said:
I like a little Irish Breakfast tea, sometimes sweetened with a slug of Irish Breakfast whisky
Excellent! :cheers:

I brew my own ginger ale - very sharp. I make a "Dark and Stormy" (ginger ale + rum) that goes well with a golden virginia such as Hamborger Veermaster, Orlik Golden Sliced or Fribourg & Treyer Golden Mixture. A truly addictive combination! :cheers:

I'll have to go with flytyer on this one. Since I primarily smoke English, then I tend to prefer scotch. I find Laphroaig to go extremely well with english blends due in no small part to it's generous smoky flavor. I hope they never run out of peat on Islay!

Since I tend to get tongue burn/bite fairly easily if I'm not careful, I try not to exacerbate it by adding alcohol.

So lately I've been drinking (iced) Diet Lipton Green Tea. It really goes well with a pipe. This afternoon I drank one of those fancy high-dollar specialty root beers, but it was weird with the pipe - the two tastes were funky. So I switched to an Indian Pale Ale. :p

...And now I have a mild tongue burn. :|

My favorite pairing with a pipes is Scotch, sometimes a de luxe blend like Walker Black or Buchanan's 12 or 18 year, sometimes a younger blend like Teacher's with some soda over ice. On weeknights with work coming too early I drink strong iced tea, usually darjeeling, earl grey or oolong. I love to drink aged Port, either a tawny or vintage, with a pipe, but it's gotten to be far too expensive to drink with any regularity these days.

I generally drink a home distilled drink neat. Tonight it's a very good strawberry that was ran 3 times. Very smooth and goes great with a black cavendish.

Call me a cretin, but I noticed long ago that a cold Coca Cola tastes reeeeeeaal nice when having a Balkan or English blend, ala Odyssey.

With Virginias I like a good Scotch, but damn if I don't like Scotch a lot anyway, so who can tell? Same with a thick Belgian beer (I'll be enjoying the Donker by Kasteel tonight). I don't know if it really goes well with any certain tobacco, or if I just like it so much that it goes well with anything. I just dig it.

I'm with the coffee drinkers (1/2 and 1/2 mornings, decaf evenings)

also iced tea (decaf), iced water.

Drip "Cafe Bustello." I love coffee with either a cigar or pipe, and I notice zero degradation of the smoke. I also drink water and just don't do anything but coffee or water. I don't want a flavored smoke, I want a smoke.