What's your pocketknife?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I either use a CKRT folding razel or a gerber chameleon.

Uber, that red kershaw I have is called the blur. I've had it for 9 years now...pretty sure I bought it when the blur 1st came out. Back then I paid around $120 for it.

The blade is made out of a steel called 13c26. It gets SUPER sharp and holds an edge like nobodys business.

Now you can get the same knife for around $60 and it uses an upgraded steel called 14c26 thats supposed to have the same edge holding qualities as 13c26 but with more rust resistance. Mine hasn't ever had that problem though.

Its a great bargain at 60 bucks...I just might grab another.

BB, what a filthy computer setup. Geez. For shame. 8)

I dig everyone's choices so far, kind of gives me a chin-scratcher for a new knife--one that isn't stainless so I can actually have a sharp knife for a change. :lol:

8)

I told you not to look! Must you always buck instruction??!! Speaking of buck I have a knife I don't carry much that looks right up your alley considering what you carry now. Its a Buck folding knife with a 154cm blade.
00111.jpg
[/url][/img]

00210.jpg
[/url][/img]

00310.jpg
[/url][/img]

Speaking of case and buck knives ,is it just me or does it seem their blades arn't as good as they use to be?

VG-10 laminated stainless. All my hard use knives are carbon steel (Swamprats and Ranger), but I needed something "gentlemanly" to keep the sheeple at bay:

FN47.jpg

Right now I've got a Schrade liner lock clipped to my right front pocket with a small Buck stock knife that I've modified to serve as a pipe knife in that pocket.

Sometimes I change off with a CRKT M16-10KZ as my main blade and a Case stock knife in the pocket. Depends on my mood and where I'm headed.

Kyle Weiss":q1bhi2tn said:
Kyle, I've been carrying this exact Gerber for at least 5 years. It's a great little knife. Fits perfectly into the little change pocket in my jeans

Cuervo25_1":v2w5olai said:
Speaking of case and buck knives ,is it just me or does it seem their blades arn't as good as they use to be?
The fact of the matter is that most consumer products are made with recycled steel. New steel is too expensive to make reasonably priced tools out of. In a past lifetime*, I was able to use a chisel set that had been milled from an old ford's engine block. This nice steel took and held an edge like no other.

*an interesting group of friends at an institution called the School of the Building Arts.... took some woodworking, stone masonry and blacksmithing courses. My carpentry teacher taught me about the steel thing, oddly enough, but this was confirmed by the Blacksmith. On a molecular level, new steel is much more "organized" thus takes to honing better. because recycled steel isnt heated to the same temperature necessary to smelt, simply to melt using inductors rather than blast furnaces... blah blah blah.... nice tangent?

monbla256":r4dk5fq5 said:
I used it in 'Nam (I was a combat corpsman) and it's got cracked and broken scales on it now but the steel still takes and holds a sharp edge and it still closes well and slides in my pocket like it belongs there
Thank you doc for what you did. Your breed is the best of the navy, and the only ones that I would stand by or buy a drink for. You are the reason that many of my brothers have come home, semper fi, and thanks again for your service.
As for my pocket knife, I carry a buck 110, passed down to me from my godfather, and a gerber multi tool.

jefe1037":hygjvmgm said:
On a molecular level, new steel is much more "organized" thus takes to honing better.
My friend makes knives from blanks he's cut from an old 6 ft. dia. circular sawblade he "liberated" from an abandoned sawmill he found in the middle of nowhere. It's takes a while to get an edge because it's very hard, but it stays sharp forever,,,,my buddy makes the same "organized molecular" claim due to the years of being used/vibrated and the original hardening process. ,, now back to our show.

I carry a CRKT K.I.S.S. Tanto,,,almost identical to Kyles Gerber(the carry clip is different,,,,I wonder who copied who?) anyway I've had it for years. It's blade is austenite and harder than hell.

I carry a Svord Peasant, it's cheap, keeps a nice edge and is so simple there's nothing to go wrong. Now that I see PB's Russlock I'm considering an upgrade...

Kyle Weiss":5uw34oru said:
I dig everyone's choices so far, kind of gives me a chin-scratcher for a new knife--one that isn't stainless so I can actually have a sharp knife for a change.
Yeah, what's the point of any knife if it's not sharp? My sources tell me that it doesn't matter about carbon vs. stainless. The problem is the factory grind on most knives. Imagine a "V". It's too obtuse. Using Crocksticks will work, but only after you have made the V more acute by some form of grinding to thin the blade, in effect. You won't be able to reach the edge because the shoulders of the V obtrude. Am I making sense? I have checked this out using a 30-power microscope. All you do is polish the top of the V.

So what does anyone use for sharpening? I have written off conventional stones; I simply don't have the control to make them work to the degree I would like.

The advantage of stainless is of course, the stainless part. Though where I live, moisture is not a problem. I can get a good stainless knife to shave arm hair. My problem is keeping it that sharp...

...but I foresee a topic that could turn into "one of those" kinds of conversations, and after the "meerschaum in the cold" chimpfest, I'm hesitant to bring it up. :lol: I'm sure you all have heard the confidence of "the right way" and "the right tool" to sharpen a knife from some guy--age old man-pride kind of stuff, "my daddy taught me THIS way, and it's the right tool and the right way," "I was in the service, and THIS is the right tool and the right way," "You callin' my daddy a liar?" "You sayin' two tours in 'Nam made me a fool?" Muttering of unsavory maternal comments, poolsticks gripped more and more tightly, grimacing, growling...

...I use some weird triangle-shaped "diamond" thingy for my kitchen knives, and they still cut everything from tomatoes to bread to chunks of beast with precision and ease, so the folding knives get the same treatment. Again, more a "keeping them that way" issue, which may be the quality/nature of the metal, which isn't great. I don't own fine knives.

puros_bran":wfiin9ys said:
Really? A knuckleduster? :lol: No sandbag? Paddy-whack? Blackjack? 8)

Made me think of this strange instrument... the Apache Pistol...

DSC05539-500x375.jpg

DSC05549-500x375.jpg

Got this one back in 89 or 90 when I was still Active duty Navy; It replaced a buck 110, which I still have but rarely use.

sog-tomcat-1-original-full-view-mainnozh2002-bf.jpg

puros_bran":fbyr689e said:
Kyle Weiss":fbyr689e said:
Really? A knuckleduster? :lol: No sandbag? Paddy-whack? Blackjack? 8)
I'm old school Kid.
Whatever gets the job done. Threw a hot can of spaghetti-o's I was toasting on a charcoal fire in the face of some crackhead that was shakin' down a buddy of mine under a bridge. It wasn't epic, but it worked. :lol: Ah, the teen years. Fun.