What's your preferred computer system?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter5117

Reaction score
Sorry guys, guess I am feeling kind of "chatty" lately (not very masculine sounding but I say that with a pipe of Walnut clenched between my teeth)!

Anyway, haven't seen it discussed before so I thought I'd ask what is everyone's preferred computer system? PC, Mac or Linux/Unix. I know we have at least one Ubuntu enthusiast here, have never seen anyone talk about using Mac or other.

I for one am a 6 year convert to Macs. After working, programming, building and selling PC's in one way or another for much of my career, I would never think of using anything but Mac for my personal stuff. Still have to use Windows for my work. I will admit that I have Windows and Linux installed on my Macs for the few times when I have to run a Windows program or want to play with Linux.

SimplyMEPIS 64 Linux for me. I have two systems set up at home. :D I can dual boot into Win XP if necessary, but I do all I can in Linux. I use Windows for an occasional update of the iPhone using iTunes. I really need to set up Linux to deal with that.

:lol: @ PB

I think the first time I ever go into it with someone on a pipe board was over computers.

I'm mostly a Windows and Linux guy cuz I'm too cheap to be a Apple guy.

Didn't realize we were discussing religion here now.

For the record, I'm a PC.

-Andrew

Sheer usage requires me to say I'm a RIM Blackberry guy.

My Ubuntu laptop finally bit the bullet after many hard years of use.. Started out as a Windows 95 machine..

Currently have Vista on the Mrs laptop and tower.

To be 100% honest (hold onto your jimmy Jimmy) I'd love to have a Mac.. I'll tell ya why in a minute BUT first the why nots.... I have watched,listened, and heard several people make the transition... To a computer geek it may be 'just that easy' but to my wife I can imagine 6 months of calls 'How do I?'.. No thanks... Plus.. All I really do on the puters at home is visit boards, pipe shops, and play Madden or Command & Conquer.. I'd have to install windows to play my games (yes I know I could buy ported versions but all my video games come out of the bargin bin, every seen a Mac Bargin Bin? Me neither) and I really can't afford to burn money like that. SO, Why would I love to have one??? So I could be all obnoxious and smug saying 'Its just works' , 'buy a Mac' , and 'there's an App for that'. :D :D :D :D

jhuggett":enfydf7q said:
I'm mostly a Windows and Linux guy cuz I'm too cheap to be a Apple guy.
Macs only hurt the first time, especially if you have to switch a lot of software. I have been lucky to sell off my older systems for a big percentage of what I paid when buying a new one.

Windows 7 sure seems to have closed the gap, OS X, Win7 and Ubuntu all seem very natural with just a few individual quirks. I am a geek and programmer at heart plus photog/videog so Mac seemed to offer a lot back when I switched. I have to admit being a bit of a fan-boy now but nothing I would get in a fight with a fellow Bob over. :lol:

A year ago I bought an HP TouchSmart 24 inch... I was weary of the Vista it came with but it's been a super 'puter. The screen is big enough to put 4 programs up at once and view them all without squinting. It also has the tv connection. Just love it.

PC guy here, though if I could justify the cost I'd be a MAC guy. PC does everything I "need." MAC would be a luxury at this point.

I use Windows XP Pro for office apps because its most convenient for work, but preferred is the CentOS flavor of Linux, which I use to develop databases and related applications in MySQL and Perl. I cut my UNIX teeth on DEC UNIX which later became Compaq Tru64, worked in Sun Solaris and hated it, went through various bleeding edge Linux flavors, switched to FreeBSD for 3-4 years and liked that a lot, and now CentOS is my all-time favorite for its stability and ease of keeping it updated.

Steve

A Windows XP PC for me! Though I admit I don't care for all the viruses/Trojans, etc. one has to put up with on a damn Microsoft machine!! FTRPLT

Im mostly a Mac user. My college campus was effectively Mac only (hell, the guy who's the Mac in those irritating commercials was my classmate) and I got used to it.

(My family's first "home computer" was a DEC VT180 Robin running CP/M off of four 5 1/4" floppy drives. So I don't really feel too guilty for using a shiny GUI now.)

??????,,,this thing has a mouse and a screen,,,,it says HP on the big black box thingy with the fan in it,,,,my wife lets me use it if I behave,,,,and don't ask too many "how do ya's",,, :scratch: :scratch:

Doc Manhattan":qnmoh4ex said:
(My family's first "home computer" was a DEC VT180 Robin running CP/M off of four 5 1/4" floppy drives. So I don't really feel too guilty for using a shiny GUI now.)
I remember that OS, it was the first that I did any real work in, using a large suite of molecular biology applications written in BASIC and kept on 8" floppies. The suite was later ported to the first IBM PC and renamed DNASTAR and is still marketed for Windows platforms and is widely used. I wonder how many large application suites survived those early days and are still going strong? I remember that WordStar began in CP/M and survived for quite a while, but its gone now.

Steve

sstodvictory":73vjervf said:
I remember that OS, it was the first that I did any real work in, using a large suite of molecular biology applications written in BASIC and kept on 8" floppies. The suite was later ported to the first IBM PC and renamed DNASTAR and is still marketed for Windows platforms and is widely used. I wonder how many large application suites survived those early days and are still going strong? I remember that WordStar began in CP/M and survived for quite a while, but its gone now.
Oh, WordStar! That's why my dad pilfered borrowed it from work, so my mom could use WS to write. I remember he wrote her a macro so she could have stuff print underlined.

ftrplt":d7019zs7 said:
A Windows XP PC for me! Though I admit I don't care for all the viruses/Trojans, etc. one has to put up with on a damn Microsoft machine!! FTRPLT
Well I think those days are coming soon for Macs...

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Mac-OS-X-safer-but-less-secure-Update-957981.html

Windows 7 is considerably more secure than Mac OS, the problem with Windows has more to do with third party applications like Adobe Flash now, not how the OS is designed. OS X is actually behind the times in that regard.

Utter nonsense!!!! Everyone knows nothing in the computing field can be cutting edge unless it has a half eaten piece of fruit on it.. :D :D

I'm a recovering PC user who recently converted to apple. When I retired and was no longer tied to the PC because that's what the company used, I thought I'd try Apple. So far, I love it for its simplicity and more importantly, stability. Then again, I haven't tried Windows 7. I also enjoyed the simplicity of purchase - few decisions required and great support. I'm also told, but am somewhat skeptical, that it will last longer. Keep in mind that I only use it for photos, simple spreadsheeets, email and web access.