What's your Walnut?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandalfpc

Reaction score
One or two of my favorite tobaccos come from a less distinguished bloodline than the rest of my cellar - names that are never mentioned alongside Gawith and Pease...

I came to the realization that each of us has his Walnut :)

From the pricing at P&S I am willing to bet that Stokkebye Proper English is my Walnut (as I can see no other reason that it is selling for $22 a pound!)

So who's wearing cheap perfume and smeared lipstick in your cellar?

Actually Stokkebye's line of non Aro tobacco is very good... Unlike Walnut they actually have tobacco in them.

I know that PE is at least a non-humectant real tobacco blend - and I love the stuffins out of it - but I figured the price could only be so low because everyone with any sense was avoiding it :)

I have over a pound and a half of Lane BCA if that helps :)

Have seen the Walnut for sale on PipeStuds site for a while now - wondering if it will remain there forever - perhaps like Dorian Grey no Walnut will age while it's posted...

I guess Sugar Barrel meets that criteria for me. Relatively cheap basic tobacco, overlooked and outclassed easily, rarely discussed, never sensationalized, and fading into obscurity with the demise of OTC sales. Load it, light it, love it.

Lounging somewhere among the smoking paraphernalia is a pouch of Paladin Blackcherry, which I remember my dad smoking. Every once in a great while I'll pick through the stems and twigs to pick out enough tobacco to stuff a cob and smell a childhood memory. (talk about cheap perfume and smeared lipstick,,,,YUCK)

When taxes are 90% of the cost of your tobacco, "cheap" takes on a different meaning. The ghost in my closet is Navy Flake from MacB. But that's hardly "bad" tobacco.

I'd have to say that to date mine would be Boswell's Dan's blend. It is some kind of mildly cased VA...can get boring at times, but I have found it to be very reliable, friendly and approachable for an all VA blend. Not really a drug store tobacco, but definately not in the same class as the Pease, Gawith, etc etc etc.

I also keep a tub of PA around, but 95% of the time I just use the PA to roll a cigarette, mixing with American Spirit usually. I guess really the cigarettes are the ghost in my closet.

puros_bran":luwywya6 said:
Actually Stokkebye's line of non Aro tobacco is very good... Unlike Walnut they actually have tobacco in them.
Dang PB........ hope JP doesn't see this post......... my walnut is walnut......... :lol!:

Piet, I don't pay any mind to PB.

Well since Walnut is my Walnut, I am going to have to go with Mark's Sugar Barrel. Darn good tobacco and as he said, fading into obsurity. I also smoke a fair amount of Sir Walter Raleigh.

Justpipes":yctibplp said:
Piet, I don't pay any mind to PB.

Well since Walnut is my Walnut, I am going to have to go with Mark's Sugar Barrel. Darn good tobacco and as he said, fading into obsurity. I also smoke a fair amount of Sir Walter Raleigh.
Jip!!!!!

Walnut, SWR, Carter Hall and PA Bro!!!!!........ and it's all your fault JP!!!!!! :lol!:

Fireman":ve6wu84o said:
Carter Hall that's what my Grand father smoked, I still have a sealed tin of his from the late 80's that i need to open.
Lance
Bro...... you are now on my Christmas list!!!! :lol!: