When popping open a new tin....

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaitlyn3837

Reaction score
Do you gents let it sit for awhile before digging in?

If yes, is it because it has been aging and has to air out a bit? Or do you do it with brand new tins as well?
Or because it is too moist?
Does this apply to all blends or only some of your arsenal?
How long do you let it sit before digging in?

I'm asking because in the past when I have popped tins, they didn't have any age on them and I dug right in. One of the members warned me about an aged tin he sent me He told me to let it sit open for a little while because it ferments a little (he might not have said "ferments" but I feel like I derived the understanding of fermentation from his description if he didnt actually say it).

Anyways, I was thinking about trying some new stuff tonight but didn't want to make myself green by not doing it right!

Thanks for any info gents!

Normally I pop a tin open and go for it. However really it depends on how moist the tobacco is. Too moist I'll let it air out; in general checking every so often to make sure I don't dry it too much.

I'll also pinch out enough for a bowl or two and set it aside on a plate, spreading it out so it dries quicker, if I'm really wanting to try a bowl.

Also, depending on the blend some just need to have some air and are noticeably better after the tin has been opened and the closed again for anything from days, to weeks, to months. How long just depends on the blend I guess.

Moist tobaccos, I typically air out a bit more because I prefer the majority of the blends I smoke to be a bit on the drier side, although there are exceptions.

The flavor of certain tobaccos, like high quality Virginias will open up a bit more once the tobacco has been aired out some. Almost like decanting a thick bottle of complex red wine.

To really judge whether a tobacco is right for you, I think it's important to try it at different moisture levels. However each manufacturer seems to have a slightly different standard when it comes to moisture content & some are more easy to dig right into. For instance, on average McClelland blends tend to have a higher moisture level than those from C&D, and the McC blends almost always need to be aired out a bit just to aid combustion let alone improve the flavor. Of course, with piping nothing is easy right? I say this because I have found all sorts of exceptions to rules. I have found blends that smoke really well right from a freshly opened tin and seem to burn well and taste great even though they seem to be quite moist.

Solution? keep a journal of your experiences. Make notes about the variables involved in each smoke, tobacco you try, pipe you use, etc.. That way when you have a Zone-Smoke/Zen-like experience or when that perfect tobacco/pipe combo comes along you've got it recorded..  

My last journal entry? GLP Fillmore and my favorite Peterson Bulldog from the 1950's hate each other. Won't do that again.

In time you'll surely find what works best for you.

If I open a tin and I like the moisture level I smoke it. If it's just a bit too much moisture for me I'll pre dry each bowlful. If the tobacco is generally too moist for me I just close the tin. A closed tin is not a perfect seal normally and the whole contents will be drying. I check on it which will also replace the air and aid drying. When it gets to the perfect moisture or just a touch above I return to my first two methods. However I may jar it at that point to avoid continued moisture loss. John.

If I put my stuff in a pouch, I can hit it right away. Fresh out? well, if at home, I have a wood thingy I rest it in and get to it later. Starting my piping with aros taught me I do not enjoy goopy heels.............

Wow, just looking at that sentence makes no sense, unless of course, you are a piper......

My coin tobaccos I load immediately. Most flakes also don't need much drying time if any... Except of course Mcclelland and SG. But if I open something and it appears a good moisture level, I'm loading and lighting!

It basically depends on if it's a blend/mixture I've smoked before or something new I'm trying. For example, my tins of Royal Yacht that I open, no matter how old ( within a decade of age) I'll just pull out a bowl's worth right away and load and go !! As I find out what carachteristics each blend/mixture has when newly opened and jow I like it for smoking is how I approach it. With a new blend/mixture, I usually assess how moist it is and based on the cut and just what the blend/mixture is i.e. straight va, VaPer, Aro etc I alow what I feel is the appropriate drying time if needed. Basically, no hard and fast way for everything. :twisted: :twisted:

I have found that often a blend will taste better or fuller after the tin has been open a day or two.

If it's too moist I just dry enough to smoke, but there's something else about a fresh tin that bugs me, and this is where it gets weird.
It just doesn't LOOK right all smashed down in there. It doesn't look HAPPY. Ribbons don't want to be plugs. They want to be free. I can't help but take a big pinch and fluff it up, smelling it and poking it and testing its springiness. I do this until I get THAT feeling. You know the one, when you think Monbla is watching you through the eyes of your taxidermy project. You guys get that, right? At that point I put the lid back on and try not to think about it. Or I just smoke flakes.

George Kaplan":cahyqxzu said:
If it's too moist I just dry enough to smoke, but there's something else about a fresh tin that bugs me, and this is where it gets weird.
It just doesn't LOOK right all smashed down in there. It doesn't look HAPPY. Ribbons don't want to be plugs. They want to be free. I can't help but take a big pinch and fluff it up, smelling it and poking it and testing its springiness. I do this until I get THAT feeling. You know the one, when you think Monbla is watching you through the eyes of your taxidermy project. You guys get that, right? At that point I put the lid back on and try not to think about it. Or I just smoke flakes.

:tongue: :evil: :twisted:

Cheers,

RR

I take out a day or two's worth, rub it out if its a flake or cavendish and let it dry for few hours, usually overnight

Most usually just dive right in, the anticipation kills me! Open it up, drink it in with my nose, pick out a pipe load her up and smoke it.

Kaitlyn, you will usually notice that as you are smoking a tin, the flavor just seems to improve as you get closer to the bottom. Like some have already stated, this is from repeated exposure to air entering the tin, and I tend to agree.

As soon as I see I am getting a few weeks away from needing to crack open a new tin, I go ahead and break the seal, and begin exposing the tobacco to air for a few minutes daily. I like to remove the lid and leave it standing open, for at least 7 minutes, but not less than 5. I'm not attempting to dry the tobacco, just to expose it to fresh air. If over time the tobacco starts to dry out, I will mist the inside of the lid with a little water.

Like George, I too am a fluffer. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's clumped up tobacco. Fluffing give the optical illusion that you have double the tobacco, which is always a satisfying result.

Once I complete the initial fluffing, I might let the tin stand open longer than 7 minutes, on the initial exposure to air, just to give it a good head start.

fsu92john":5qcy122t said:
I have found that often a blend will taste better or fuller after the tin has been open a day or two.
Even better after a few weeks IMO

I agree that a blend changes after opening. Whether it's better or not depends on what you like . That said, some of the best smokes I've ever had are from tins with one flake left that I had forgotten about completely. ?

I'll usually try some right away after opening just to get a feel for it at tin moisture level. If it's a flake on the wet side, I'll usually cube it up in to fine bits so it is easier to let an even light. I cut across the flake about the width of the scissors blade. Then I'll make a little grid with a bit of wadded-up flake, and pour the bits over it. Later I'll try it folded, rubbed out, and at varying levels of moisture.  With ribbon cut, just dry it more or less. By about halfway through the tin I've tried it in just about every way possible and can decide how I like it best.

Edit: Also try giving a bowl a charring light and let it sit for a few minutes, then relight. That often brings out a a lot of nuances you might not notice when you light and go.

This is awesome! Everyone has their different little ways of doing it! I will certainly try some of these out.

Also, did any of you collect baseball cards as a kid? I did/do and opening a tin of tobacco is like opening a pack of baseball cards. There is so much anticipation! I never know what I'm going to get (that's mostly because I just haven't opened a lot of tins LOL). Every card is unique and feels good in the hand, just like ever tobacco is unique and feels good to touch and smell.