Where do I get "aged" tobacco?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzman

Reaction score
I first dabbled in pipe smoking in 07', and then I went back to cigars for a while, then stopped smoking for a bit. I still have a few tins of tobacco I tried back then, of them my favorite is Westminster.

So this January(2010) I figured before I ordered more English style tobacco, I'd smoke that whole 2oz tin of Westminster. It was EXCELLENT! I was surprised how much I liked it as I did not remember liking it that much back when I bought it. I bought 2 8oz cans of it in Feb, while I still like it, it ain't like the old stuff, pardon the pun.

So many of the Brothers smoke aged tobacco, I've started to cellar a decent amount but I can't wait 10 years :affraid:

I've seen some aged tobacco online, mostly Dunhill, and it's expensive. Is there any other way to get aged tobacco without spending an arm and a leg?

Best way is to start now and build your cellar.

Buy a little extra with each order, date it, stash it and forget about it.

There's nothing wrong with smoking new tins and sometimes you get lucky and come across a tin with a couple of years on.

It's discipline.... date it, stash it and forget about it.

There's nothing more rewarding than this old fashion way IMHO.

If I wanted to buy some. I would go here. First
http://www.pipestud.com/

Here second
http://www.4noggins.com/

Forgot about visit a Pipe Show.
Look in out of they way B&M s.
Flea Markets
Old Drug Stores

You can always author a post. On here Does any one have any they would like to talk to be about Trading or Selling. In the Trading Post Thread.
Ed

Your pretty much stuck with paying an arm and a leg for it, waiting, or lucking out at a tobacconist and finding older tins.

I have some of what ya looking for... but it'll cost you an arm and a leg. :twisted: :twisted:

My ideal for an "age" for a tin would be about 5 years.

When you think about it, what do you do with 200 tins with 10 years of age? Unless you plan to sell or barter, it doesn't make much since to me. Once you reach the 150, a cellar must be pretty well set. Replace as you smoke.

What is the viability of building a time machine? Anyone?

But seriously, I appreciate everyones input. The building of the cellar has begun.
I'll probably spring for a couple aged tins for a special occasion. Actually, I haven't checked out a pipe show so that's something I'll definitely try to do.

My follow up question:

Are we in agreement that aged tobacco is better tasting then new stuff?Peace-Mike :cheers:

It depends...

Alot of guys will knee jerk answer yes, but your personal taste matters more than anything else.
There are a handful of tobaccos that I prefer 'newer' .. the colors more vibrant, the high notes higher, etc etc etc..

Also something to consider, the reason alot of the 'aged' tins go so high is that they are no longer produced..
A 3 year old tin of a Dunhill will sell for more than a 10 year old tin of 'insert current production blend name'
The Pease Syrian Blends will go for double/triple/quadruple what one of his 'regular' blends of the same age will..

Jazzman":bckmwata said:

Peace-Mike :cheers:
Mike, I may be able to help with this as your question is a timely one. I have constructed a time machine in my basement and have been conducting experiments with limited success.

Thus far I have only been successful in traveling forward in time. By my calculations it seems to be at a rate of approximately 1 hour of forward time travel for each 60 minutes spent in the capsule. Like many scientific endeavors, I have faced my share of skeptics: "Tim, that's nothing more than an old refrigerator box with the words 'Time Machine' written on the side in Sharpie marker!"
Mike, I'll keep you posted on my progress. What exactly did you have in mind? Travelling forward or back in time? I achieved a near 1980's experience just last weekend by playing some Dan Fogelberg and spritzing a bit of Drakaar Noir inside the capsule. :cheers:

Cheers!
Tim

Tim in Ohio":7gxr3xm0 said:
Jazzman":7gxr3xm0 said:

Mike, I may be able to help with this as your question is a timely one. I have constructed a time machine in my basement and have been conducting experiments with limited success.

Thus far I have only been successful in traveling forward in time. By my calculations it seems to be at a rate of approximately 1 hour of forward time travel for each 60 minutes spent in the capsule. Like many scientific endeavors, I have faced my share of skeptics: "Tim, that's nothing more than an old refrigerator box with the words 'Time Machine' written on the side in Sharpie marker!"
Mike, I'll keep you posted on my progress. What exactly did you have in mind? Travelling forward or back in time? I achieved a near 1980's experience just last weekend by playing some Dan Fogelberg and spritzing a bit of Drakaar Noir inside the capsule. :cheers:

Cheers!
Tim

Move to Indiana, we experience time warps twice a year, once in the fall to the past and once in the spring to the future :lol!:

Tim in Ohio":vcd6umnb said:
Jazzman":vcd6umnb said:

Cheers!
Tim

Move to Indiana, we experience time warps twice a year, once in the fall to the past and once in the spring to the future :lol!:

Jazzman":jrvbyedj said:
So this January(2010) I figured before I ordered more English style tobacco, I'd smoke that whole 2oz tin of Westminster. It was EXCELLENT! I was surprised how much I liked it as I did not remember liking it that much back when I bought it. I bought 2 8oz cans of it in Feb, while I still like it, it ain't like the old stuff, pardon the pun.
Jazzman,

I have had the same experience with Westminster recently. I don't think it has anything to do with aging, because I've never smoked aged Westminster. I think something happened and the blend has been different. It used to be my #1 go to blend, but it is now completely out of my rotation. Sad, very sad. I hope they are able to get it right again...