where do you buy tobacco and suggestions for first purchase

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da yooper

Reaction score
well, as a newer member I want to start off saying I have read a lot of your threads and find so much info..i have smoked cigarettes for 25 years and have finally been able to kick that by turning to pipes. I have a very small tobacconist in my town and have tired my palette with the small selection of tobaccos they provide. I was wondering since im on the jumping off point to start ordering new blends. I wanted to ask suggestions as to where you buy your tobaccos online? best price and best service kept in mind. also, having a very limited experience in different blends. what would you consider a good starting point for me to order? I don't have a preference per say as to type but I do like slower burning and lighter flavor. I appreciate any help one could give me and after I have taken your thoughts and purchased my first order. I will send shout outs to all those who helped me find some good blends. thanks again for any help in advance.

I agree with Brewdude there.

I have had excellent service from these online stores too.

paylesspipes.com
thepipeguys.com
pipetobacco.com

da yooper":qu6bfzoa said:
I wanted to ask suggestions as to where you buy your tobaccos online? best price and best service kept in mind.
I usually buy from SmokingPipes.com or 4Noggins.com.

da yooper":qu6bfzoa said:
also, having a very limited experience in different blends. what would you consider a good starting point for me to order?
Have you had a chance to read this thread: http://brothersofbriar.forumotion.com/t19560-suggested-blends-etc-for-newer-pipe-smokers ?

I'm sending you a PM as well.

thanks guys...fsu yes, I read that thread. I just figured id ask in case someone had one in particular that stuck out in their mind as their favorite..i really appreciate all the help everyone. ive looked at both sites and they both look exactly like what I was looking for

fsu92john":p9tf6t09 said:
da yooper":p9tf6t09 said:
I wanted to ask suggestions as to where you buy your tobaccos online? best price and best service kept in mind.
I usually buy from SmokingPipes.com or 4Noggins.com.

da yooper":p9tf6t09 said:
also, having a very limited experience in different blends. what would you consider a good starting point for me to order?
Have you had a chance to read this thread: http://brothersofbriar.forumotion.com/t19560-suggested-blends-etc-for-newer-pipe-smokers ?

I'm sending you a PM as well.
This for sure as there are some good suggestions in that thread. I probably buy over 95% of my 'baccy from Smoking pipes.com as I've found them to usually have what I smoke in stock and at a reasonable price  and good customer service ( actually from my experience theirs is the best ) I smoke maybe 6 different blends on a regular basis and NONE of the "unobtainium" blends at all so my needs are simple. I have tried to go by the KISS principle so my needs are easy :twisted: :twisted:

yoop, it would be helpful if you could identify a general type or category of 'baccy you're interested in. Say like -

Virginias
VaPers
Burley
BurPers
Dark Fired
English (Latakia)
Lakelands
etc

And there again, if you don't really know at this point (and there's noting at all wrong with that), then you have some sampling to do! There's a whole world of flavors out there and all you have to do is choose the ones you personally enjoy. Nothing is right or wrong here, it's all down to personal preference.

So, maybe find a direction and go from there. But keep your mind open for trying new and different things. You'll find your niche.

Cheers,

RR

all very good advice. I appreciate everyones input. again im finding this site to be very enjoyable and so welcoming. thanks for making this an enjoyable membership.

No one mentioned pipesandcigars.com so I will.

Another good one to not forget about is cupojoes.

In no particular order, I'd recommend the following on-line vendors: 4noggins, Cupojoes, Mars Cigars, and Pipes and Cigars. All will let you use credit card, pay pal, or money order. Be wary of credit card purchases, though, cuz PAD and TAD can be evil afflictions and they will convince you that credit cards are the way to go - then you get the bill... "I really ordered $500 in pipes and tobacco in a week?!"

Smokeingpipes.com and 4Noggins.com for 90% of what I buy.

Marscigars.com is also very good, but being in PA I get nailed with sales tax.

Paylesspipes.com is good for hard to find stuff (they were always able to get me FVF back when it was scarce.)

JR Cigars for Rattray tins.

The online retailer I use exclusively is smokingpipes.com. Some other very good retailers were mentioned above, but smokingpipes is tops in my book and I just got too lazy to deal with anyone else. (Usual disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with smokingpipes in any way other than being a satisfied customer.)

Most of my purchasing, however, is done at my local b&m. I'm one of the lucky few to have the ability to do so.

Brewdude":94prdj9e said:
yoop, it would be helpful if you could identify a general type or category of 'baccy you're interested in. Say like -

Virginias
VaPers
Burley
BurPers
Dark Fired
English (Latakia)
Lakelands
etc

And there again, if you don't really know at this point (and there's noting at all wrong with that), then you have some sampling to do! There's a whole world of flavors out there and all you have to do is choose the ones you personally enjoy. Nothing is right or wrong here, it's all down to personal preference.

So, maybe find a direction and go from there. But keep your mind open for trying new and different things. You'll find your niche.

Cheers,

RR
Yeah, all of this.

RoyOdhner":zmxs46jk said:
In no particular order, I'd recommend the following on-line vendors: 4noggins, Cupojoes, Mars Cigars, and Pipes and Cigars. All will let you use credit card, pay pal, or money order. Be wary of credit card purchases, though, cuz PAD and TAD can be evil afflictions and they will convince you that credit cards are the way to go - then you get the bill... "I really ordered $500 in pipes and tobacco in a week?!"

No lie there.......