Where do you get ?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffalo bill

Reaction score
I've been into wood burning and carving for a few years , never once did I think about making a pipe until recently , I was curious where do you get a starter kit from?

A good source is Mark Tinsky at amsmoke.com. He a noted maker who has traveled to Europe to select and set up relationships to get nice briar. You can get them drilled or not. I'd suggest starting with a kit from him that is drilled for your first purchase.

Then all that left according to Michelangelo is to cut away the part that isn't the David or in this case a pipe.

I agree re getting a kit from Tinsky. I've done two pipes with his kits and they really helped my humble skills turn them into decent pipes. 

Suggestions:

1. Have in mind the pipe you want to end up with as clearly as possible...shape, size, even bore diameter and depth. Mark can pick the right briar block and get it started so that you can go the direction you want. 

2. I had both my kits done up with lucite/acrylic stems...tortoiseshell. If you like a specific color or swirl thing, ask him about getting it with your kit. A guy I know got one with a white stem. But if you're not into vulcanite and its oxidation issues, you can go to Ebonite for black or lucite for the colors, either solid or translucent, etc. It might be limited to what he has on hand, but you have options with his kits. Another plus. 
3. Don't be afraid to get a big block. Usually the difference in cost between plain and small and a really good block is not that much in terms of cost, but can really make a big difference in how satisfied you are with the finished product.
4. Be sure to plan your pipe with lots of 'wall thickness' at least to start. No matter how good the briar or the specific block...there will likely be pits that show up. A little more side wall thickness gives you more possibility of taking it out and still having a workable pipe. 
5. And last - briar is not a really hard wood. It files and sands fairly easily. So GO SLOW! I have a belt sander and to use it to shape the pipe (for me) would certainly lead to bad things happening. I use a coping saw to take off large sections with the pipe set securely in a well padded vise. Then either coarse sandpaper with a sanding block or files. Everybody has a different approach...whatever you're more familiar and comfortable with is the way to go. 

Good luck. 

BTW: there are lots of hobby and very accomplished pipe makers here. Post your questions and you'll get good answers. Sometimes far more than you needed or wanted...like this. lol