Where do you go to smoke?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonderful posts! Thanks for taking the time.

Although my cat complains of the second-hand smoke, I remind her that she has no rights. Now that I stream video, I no longer watch them on tv; hence I sit in front of the master chair, in front of the computer, my nook where I do everything: eat, entertain myself, smoke, read. I'm truly sorry for any who have to hassle to smoke. nyc has the most restrictive, Babylonian laws.

When I'm at work, I smoke in my pickup. When I'm at home, I smoke on the couch.

I suppose there are some women I would go outside to smoke for, but they are few and far between! :lol:

Right in the middle of the living room floor, I build a fort out of couch cushions with room for one, a shortwave radio, a flashlight, a book and a pipe. All anyone sees smoke coming from some of the shoddy joints and wonder if I'm on fire yet.

Otherwise, it's the porch, the truck, Tinder Box, or taking a walk to find a nice spot just for me.

i.keenum":p2juxa4z said:
So my son determines where I smoke, after bed where.ever I want . When he is awake outside only . How do you guys feel about your kids seeing you smoke.
My daughter (28 months) has never seen me smoke but is aware of the existence of my pipes :)

I would rather she not see it. When I used to smoke my cigars on the bench outside my building, I would tuck it away if I ever saw a child walk by. I believe much of the over regulation of tobacco would have been avoided had everyone smoked responsibly.

The day my daughter discovers my secret :twisted: I hope that she's of proper age to have a understandable conversation about smoking.

i.keenum":nhboejt4 said:
So my son determines where I smoke, after bed where.ever I want . When he is awake outside only . How do you guys feel about your kids seeing you smoke.
My girls see me smoke my pipe. I've talked to them about the risk.

With their allergies I limit their exposure.

I like all of my smoking spots and happily smoke outside.

i.keenum":46sezx93 said:
I smoke in the kitchen, right in front of a window fan that does a great job of sucking the smoke out of the room. I don't mind my son seeing me smoke. I'd rather be in the open about it, as opposed to hiding out and making it look like an abnormal activity.

Today, yer kids witness you smoking;
tomorrow they get thrown out of school for
chewing a pop-tart into the shape of a pipe.
:lol!:

I don't smoke in my home and don't really have any desire to. Shelter is key here in the PacNW. I have an awesome covered back deck that it like an outdoor room. I especially like having a pipe when I'm hiking, camping, fishing, etc. To me there's no better place to enjoy a pipe than at a high alpine lake on a clear night.

i.keenum":vc4k6my9 said:
I have turned half my garage into an outside chillin' area. I have a few chairs, swing, rug, side table, lamp, and a smart TV. I really enjoy smoking out there when the temp is desirable. I also smoke at a couple B&Ms, my truck, and designated smoking areas at work.

When it comes to smoking in front of my boys (2 & 5), my biggest concern is the actual exposure to the smoke. If they are outside with me, I make sure we are in a well ventilated area. The first thing I teach them is that the pipe or cigar is HOT. As I am typing this, my two year old is pointing at the BoB logo above and saying, "Hot!". :) To each there own. I don't hide it, and I'll teach them to respect it and understand it. They will not partake of it in my presence until they are the proper legal age. That's just me.

koolickle":eces8996 said:
As I am typing this, my two year old is pointing at the BoB logo above and saying, "Hot!".
Can I just say this is super cute?! :D

We live in a small, old (100 as of last year) row house that, years ago, someone decided to cut a garage into. The first floor isn't really living space, its more of a basement (utilities, storage, washer/dryer, etc.) but there is an ersatz garage that is not quite long enough to fit my car. It is just wide enough to fit my car, if I fold the mirrors. Long ago I built a a plywood workbench on one side and a shelving across the length of the other. I have an abandoned leather chair, an FM radio and a strong wifi signal. If the weather's nice, I'll sit out on the deck, but I like my little fortress of solitude.

image11.jpg

So I couldn't rotate it on my phone...

i.keenum":ewewsakl said:
I too keep my smoking from the little man. He's almost 3 and while I don't go sneaking around or hiding it from him, I just assume he stay reasonably oblivious. When the weather's warm I go out on the deck unless he's bopping around. When I'm in the garage with the space heater, he couldn't be less interested in where I've run off to anyway.

Him seeing me smoke isn't too much of a worry, just try not to make him directly inhale by being in the same room. I do worry about him going to day care and telling the teachers daddy smokes a pipe that could cause issues. :roll:

That's an interesting point you raise. I have been thinking about it quite a bit lately myself. My boy just turned one. When the weather is nicer, I'll smoke out on the deck while he bops around and keeps me company. I never smoke indoors with him around though. I'm concerned about how I'm am going to address the topic of why he shouldn't smoke when I walk around smoking to my hearts content. I wholeheartedly realize that it is hypocritical, but I would prefer that he never want to smoke anything cigarettes, cigars or pipes.

Once "They" succeed at turning you against yourselves like that, :shock:
(in C.S. Lewis' phrase) you're "Men without chests." :twisted:

:(

:face:

I used to have to go out to smoke. I frost bit three toes on my right foot one year (13 years ago) while working outside. The next year...same problem. Every winter it got harder to protect my toes. After three incidents of frostbite SWMBO now allows me to smoke a pipe inside.