Where do you go to smoke?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PeterD":kw5tcpng said:
...fortunately I smoke where I like...
thumbs.gif

Cheers,

RR

When the weather is good we have a screened attached porch with porch swing and rattan furniture. The patio table is great for all the accessories you need to have. But these last few weeks with the temperature around 30-35 F, I seek out the shelter of the local Smoking Lounge/Tobacconist. About a mile from the house he has nice club chairs, two TV's for watching sports and the usual handful of cigar and pipe smokers. I do have at least one cigar purchased from him a week so when I come with my pipe he's okay with it. Our local pipe club meets once a month there in the evening. Turn out is strong. Most smoke aromatic tobacco so I'm not sure how welcomed I am with my British blends. But we talk pipes and its alright.

At home I smoke inside occasionally, but I always cycle the ventilation fan when I'm done or I click on a room fan to break up the haze of smoke. If it's nice out I try to smoke outside.

If I'm at work I have to smoke outside, or go a few blocks over to my boss' house and smoke there. I prefer to go to my boss' house since he has covered outdoor seating, a garage with sports cars and engines and engine parts everywhere, etc. If I smoke outside at work I just have to hope it's not raining , or not too windy. The only approved smoking area outside our building is wind swept and uncovered.

Very seldom do I smoke in my car. All my vehicles are manual and I'm just not able to drive safely with any distractions. If I do smoke in my car it's because I'm parked and the engine is off and that's about it.

My favorite place to smoke is...err....will be....my new home I'm moving into on the 8th! Technically the home is older than I am (built in the 70's), but it's new to me! haha

I smoke on my back porch. (that's a period) The deck is covered and I have a nice teak rocking chair and side table. I have fairly large back yard but it's still an "urban view".

My grandchildren see me smoke a pipe occasionally but they think it is a very "old thing" since I'm the only person they ever see with a pipe. It's getting rare in my neck of the woods to see anyone smoke tobacco. Austin's motto is "Keep Austin Weird" so I think it's more common to see someone smoking Mother Nature than someone smoking a fine tobacco.

When at home I smoke out on the screened porch, overlooking a wooded area of my property. My little bit of heaven. Even when it is 32 degrees it is still great...a special feel to it...like being in the great outdoors...with my trusty hound by my side (Pepe).

I smoke in the house, in the car, and anywhere else I can.
The only time I do not smoke is when my Grandsons are over.

Any place that allows it. Come to think of it, some places that don't! If you see me without a pipe in my gob and smoking is allowed, I'm probably asleep.

At this moment I am smoking where I always do. I am on the rooftop of my 16 floor apartment building on the Northeast coast of Korea. To the left of me is a bay surrounded by forests and a golf course and in front of me is the wide open sea. Its a great spot! When I get to the rooftop I climb a short spiral staircase that brings me to the highest point possible. Its a kind of crowsnest on top of the building. In that perch I sit crosslegged, fire up my pipe and, if it is in the evening I watch the lights on the sea. In the day I can watch white surf rolling in. If I turn around I can gaze at Seorak mountain, Korea's second highest peak.

The SW corner of my property got kinda overgrowed with fir and pine trees, and this spring I got ambitious and decided to clean it up. While I was at it, I decided it would make a great outdoor smoker's/man cave. It's shady, secluded from the street, the neighbor has a gurgly outdoor goldfish pond on the other side ofthe fence, and there was already some slate and stone that made a nice little table. So if you're looking for me, I'll be out back with my pipe, a cold one and my portable radio. My missus thinks this is how the North Pond Hermit got started. You may have read about that fella in the paper.

neighbor has a gurgly outdoor goldfish pond on the other side ofthe fence

Kevin, sound great! Can I stop by? The pond will cover up my cheap, gurgly pipe.

I cannot smoke in the house, even in the unfinished section of the basement, so I am outdoors. The winter was long and this spring has been cold, but there has been a dry spell that has allowed me to enjoy the patio with my pipe, watching the fire
Patio_zps5cc3804b.jpg

You would be more than welcome, JKenP. I used to have a flowering plum tree that I'd pruned over the years into a perfect outdoor smoking/reading room. But the !@&X!Y Nor'easters made a mess of it, and I eventually gave up and cut it down. The new hideout is coming along nicely. The diameter is about 20' with an 8' "ceiling. It has a couple of outdoor chairs, shelving made from cinder blocks and lumber scraps, and it's close enough to the house that I could run an extension cord out there which would accommodate a better radio. I can't get too elaborate or the missus will take notice and volunteer that special woman's touch ;)

Thanks, Kevin. If it wasn't for the long commute...

Reading through here from my bachelor digs with pipe signals booming, it looks like man caves are out -- backyard bunkers are in. :twisted:

Why aren't quality of life issues bidirectional anymore?

Tim_McD":8tnp5z0o said:
I cannot smoke in the house, even in the unfinished section of the basement, so I am outdoors. The winter was long and this spring has been cold, but there has been a dry spell that has allowed me to enjoy the patio with my pipe, watching the fire
Patio_zps5cc3804b.jpg
That's a nice set up. I've been contemplating something similar for my back yard.