Where do you store your tobacco?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajpl

Reaction score
I keep discovering fantastic blends that come in bulk, and I'm running out of places to store them once they get here. Any recommendations?

If I'm going to smoke a bulk blend within the month I'm too fussed about the storage. I use the bag it came in. If I have a couple of things open or multiple bags I use a ball top jar. If I'm not going to get to it right away I use 1/2 pint mason jars.

I use these:
LsLvW.jpg

And store them in these:
teGdi.jpg

I keep the bins in a spare closet.

In a bureau, under the bed, in the closet, etc... :lol:
(I don't have room for my clothes anymore.) :evil:

Ah, I'm still kind of between houses, so most of mine are in cardboard boxes. But in theory, if I had a house to put around them, they would be in a wooden cupboard / draw, in carefully marked Kilner jars.

gravel":i1qlot4j said:
I use these:
LsLvW.jpg

And store them in these:
teGdi.jpg

I keep the bins in a spare closet.
Ditto.

I keep about 15-20 jars and tins in the liquor cabinet in the kitchen (pipes sit on top). The rest is stashed in jars, which in turn are stashed in Rubbermaid containers.

All of the above plus a roll top secretary that looks sort of like this:

Thanks, guys. For those of you who use mason jars (or variants), how have you found the seals to work for tobacco? Could I cellar a blend in one for a couple years without the tobacco losing flavor?

I've had tobacco in Mason Jars for over 5-years at a time and have never had a problem. Never once has a seal gone bad on me. Of course I don't vacuum seal the jars, just fill to near the top with tobacco so as to leave as little air space as possible. The jars I've opened up several years later were just as moist as they were when packed.

Rob_In_MO":nd93p7my said:
I've had tobacco in Mason Jars for over 5-years at a time and have never had a problem. Never once has a seal gone bad on me. Of course I don't vacuum seal the jars, just fill to near the top with tobacco so as to leave as little air space as possible. The jars I've opened up several years later were just as moist as they were when packed.
Ditto.
Just make sure you leave some room and don't let any of the tobacco crumbs / dust touch the seal when you are closing them up. Make sure the rim of the jar is free of any of the crumbs / dust. I like to press the lids onto the jar and "seat" them a little by moving them back and forth so that the wax sticks a bit. Then, I screw the rings on nice and tight. Be sure not to over tighten or the ring will strip out and will no longer hold a tight seal. (You should always have extras lids and ring on hand just in case!)

Over time the lids will seal themselves as the tobacco will make use of the available oxygen. At that time you'll want to tighten each ring.

I use mason jars as well, though I'm rather fond of this variety myself. The wide mouth and shallow depth make it easy to reach in and dig out some tobacco, and they'll store in very shallow drawers as well. I keep my cellar in my buffet, most of it in the drawers with some things in the side cabinets, like a few quart jars that hold about a half-pound each.

Be forewarned that those squat little jars don't stack as nicely as you'd think they would, though.

HCraven":mpd40jg7 said:
Be forewarned that those squat little jars don't stack as nicely as you'd think they would, though.
You hit the nail on the head. That's why I use either 8oz Jam Jars or 16oz wide-mouth jars. Their the only ones that will stack.

Also, Sean speaks the truth! Make sure the lids are clean when you close them up. Dried out a good bit of Penzance by accident that way. I have also found that about two weeks after the jar is sealed the lid will need to be re-tightened. After that its good for years.

I don't use mason jars and only cellar tinned blends. Here's how I've been doing it:

They're big, but not too big that I can't carry and stack them. They also have wheels. Always add a dehumidifier to each trunk.

Ikea has these great glass jars called "Burken" that range from 17 to 74 Oz. They are glass with aluminum tops that have a clear rubber seal. No fuss, no muss or gadgetry like the clasp jars. The lids just push down and give a nice seal and release with the same ease. $3.00 for a 17 OZer can't beat it. They are a bit modern looking with the brushed aluminum so may that not be your cup of tea if you like a more traditional look. Worth a look into for sure.

Has anyone tried FoodSaver vacuum sealing bulk tobacco? I find that it works great for its intended purpose, so using it on tobacco seems reasonable

Tim_McD":jk5uvmlo said:
Has anyone tried FoodSaver vacuum sealing bulk tobacco? I find that it works great for its intended purpose, so using it on tobacco seems reasonable
Just my thoughts. It's okay for storage for a while but not what I call long term.

I have no idea how long the food saver bags would keep tobacco good. But I don't intend to find out.

Plastic is gas permeable.

Slide":2eg9egof said:
Tim_McD":2eg9egof said:
Just my thoughts. It's okay for storage for a while but not what I call long term.

I have no idea how long the food saver bags would keep tobacco good. But I don't intend to find out.

Plastic is gas permeable.
On top of that, tobacco needs a bit of air to age. Mr. Pease covers vacuum sealing in his FAQ section. Scroll about 3/4 down the page - http://www.glpease.com/FAQ.html

I do use food saver bags for two things. Short term storage if I do not have time to move a bulk purchase to jars.

And I use it if I want to press a tobacco into a cake similar to Night Train or Kajun Kake.

There seems to be an almost immediate change in some of the characteristics of a blend. Recently I did this to some Bayou Morning. It seems deeper and richer in some way.

It may be just my imagination. If it is I REALLY like my imagination.

Has anyone tried FoodSaver vacuum sealing bulk tobacco? Yes, worked fine. Stored some for 3 years and no problems..fresh and matured nicely! Did not vacumn seal, however just sealed with the air inside to allow for maturation.