Where to find good estate pipes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d4klutz

Reaction score
I have a bit of TAD and PAD, and am looking to round out my rotation of pipes. I currently have 2 briars and 4 cobs. I would really like to buy some more briars. However, I don't have a budget that allows for me to buy the higher brand pipes like stanwell, etc. Where do y'all find your estate pipes? I heard that there are some on Fleabay, but that is a crapshoot at best.

Thanks in advance.

Smokingpipes.com and Briar Blues provide good estate pipes. They are a little more expensive but they have all been restored nicely. If your looking for deals BOB's own Nathan Mattia (www.VikingClubPipes.com) sells great pipes at great prices. Marty Pulvers (http://www.pulversbriar.com) also sells at great prices.

Brother Nathan Matia here on this Forum has an estate sale site that he sells some really GOOD estates at. His estates are ready to smoke and his pricing is really good in fact you really get MORE pipe for your money from him and he offers a discount to BoB members. ;

http://www.vikingclubpipes.com/

I have purchased with all of the above except Smokingpipes. I was happy dealing with all of these mentioned online vendors!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: 

Thanks to all for the replies. I will definitely look at the recommended sites. If I can support a brother first, I will definitely do so!

d4klutz":5tneqlte said:
I have a bit of TAD and PAD, and am looking to round out my rotation of pipes.  I currently have 2 briars and 4 cobs. I would really like to buy some more briars.  However, I don't have a budget that allows for me to buy the higher brand pipes like stanwell, etc.  Where do y'all find your estate pipes?  I heard that there are some on Fleabay, but that is a crapshoot at best.  

Thanks in advance.
http://www.vtpipes.com/estate.html

http://www.jamesislandpiper.com/

Good Hunting,
Martin

Picked up Comoy Everyman 215 from Nathan at Viking Club from the post office today.It is my first pipe from him.I was wanting this shape since brother Monbla256 posted his BBB from Nathan a few weeks back.

I am pleased withe the pipe all the way around.The condition is nice and the job Nathan did is great.I usually buy them before restoration,and spiff them up myself. Have some McCllelands DarkStar drying as I type and am looking forward to my first smoke in this one.

Sit back and enjoy your new "sickness" there is no cure and the treatment just enhances the symptoms.Look for no cure on the forums.Lousy bunch of enablers. :bounce: 

I got a nice Savinelli Oscar from VikingClubPipes last year. Good value and service.

Not sure if I'm +3. +4 or maybe even +7 on Viking Club Pipes, but in any event, I AM endorsing that recommendation. There are currently a number of pipes available there that I'd happily purchase if I were in your shoes ...

+1 for viking club and pulvers briar, bought from both and both great to deal with.

+1 for vtpipes.com. I've always found Carole's descriptions to be trustworthy, delivery is prompt and her estate pipes are always handsomely refurbed. And the variety of what she has in stock always makes vtpipes.com worth a visit.

KevinM":cphln1tn said:
+1 for vtpipes.com. I've always found Carole's descriptions to be trustworthy, delivery is prompt and her estate pipes are always handsomely refurbed.  And the variety of what she has in stock always makes vtpipes.com worth a visit.
Forgot about this one (D'OH). Another great resource.

Cheers,

RR

I second (tenth) bro' Mattia, bought some excellent pipes form him. Bidding on one of his pipes right now!

But, I also bought excellent pipes from eBay's Great Estate Pipes. Chance is a real gentleman, same as Mattia.

Anyone here have any experience dealing with William's Estate Briar Pipes in Denmark?  Site shows hundreds of nice looking new and second hand pipes, plus several lines of wool socks hand-knit by William's wife Nille! Looks interesting— I'd be glad to hear from any past customers.

http://www.estatebriarpipes.dk/index.html

I bought a pipe from William a cople years ago, went off without a hitch and overseas shipping was quick.

Don't give up on flea markets, especially if you like to restore pipes.
Yes, most are trashed nasty low end pipes but occasionally I find a Peterson or Savanelli, even a Dunhill once. I like to make it known, to any flea market sellers who have even one pipe, that I'm interested in pipes and I ask them to be on the lookout for more. And I always stop by their site for a chat to remind them. I get on a first name basis with them so they know that I'm serious.

Don't dismiss eBay as a good resource for estate pipes.  Just protect yourself by doing some research on what is offered, check out the sellers reputation, insist on multiple pictures, and set your own limit before you start to bid and stay with your limit.  It is too easy to get carried away when the last minute bidding wars start.  I will not bid on any pipe that has blurry pictures, or if there is only one picture show.  I always look for clear pictures of both sides of the pipe, the bowl, and the button of the stem.  Develop some pipe restoration or cleanup skills and you can score some pretty nice pipes that others would shy away from.  If you do get a pipe that is less than what you though you were going to get, don't get discouraged.  Post it up on BoB and I bet someone will help you out.  I for one love doing work for any member who has a pipe that needs some love, and I do not ask for compensation.  

If you see a pipe that you like, but just don't know much about, or not sure of a value, post it up and let us share our experience with you.  Eventually you will become knowledgeable on what is and isn't a good deal.

Happy hunting Sir, and be prepared for PAD to take over your life.   :mrgreen: 

Here is an example of what you can get off eBay and what it can look like with a little work.

IMG_20140104_194949_zps58213572.jpg
" />