Where's the Sauce?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alandadp

Reaction score
As a Brit, I'm not able to get many fine American tobaccos very easily but recently I was able to get 4oz of McC's 2015.
Imagine my excitement, I opened the baggy, took a deep inhale through my nose and ...... NOTHING :!:
Not a thing, except perhaps a mild pleasant aroma of tobacco, WHERE'S THE SAUCE?
I've smelled the sauce in other McC blends people have been good enough to send me small samples of so I was expecting a blast from this. Tried again, still nothing. Asked the good wife, whose olifactory senses haven't been corrupted by years of pipe smoking, to have a sniff: "Doesn't smell of Ketchup" (delivered as statement not opinion).
I examined the bag contents, could the sender have made a mistake? Nope, a nice dark mixture of broken and whole flakes as expected. I filled my new MM Country Gentleman and puffed away ... a pleasant VaPer leaning on the Va rather than the perique, this could become a regular for me if I can get more, but still NO SAUCE.
Poured the bag contents into a Kilner jar and shook it up a bit then sniffed again.... maybe the merest hint of sauce but I may have been imagining it by this stage!
WHAT IS GOING ON?

That is strange Adam and what's even stranger is I was rubbing some out just as I read your post. Mine still has a bit of that vinegary smell so maybe your customs department there
deodorized it for ya. :scratch:

Your'e just smelling what it is and they ALWAYS are, NO ketchup !! Fermented, FLUE CURED Va's YES! KETCHUP NO  :twisted: :twisted: But so as not to be in opposition to all the rest of the experts I'll agree about Ketchup! Hey what would I know :cheers: :twisted: :twisted:

Adam

I smoke a fair bit of 2015. It's in my regular rotation. I definitely get the vinegary aroma. No doubt about it. Not a negative in my book. In fact I just now got my nose over a jar, and yup it was there in spades.

I also get this from other McC blends. Not ketchup to me as others have stated. Doesn't transfer into the taste. Looks like it's related to the red 'ginnys they use. Whatever it is, it sure pleases my palate.

Perhaps your sense of smell just doesn't pick up on this? Not trying to be negative or judgemental. We all don't experience the same things after all.

Not a plus nor a minus. I often don't get the nuances others have found in a particular 'baccy. Go figure.....

:drunken:

Cheers,

RR

Adam, after reading your post I'm mulling over the possibility of a causal relationship.  I don't profess to understand too much about it but it seems that the ketchup smell is evidence of a fermentation process occurring?  Perhaps your baccy hasn't had long enough to begin to ferment?