Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm surprised to see so many people who perfer small pipes over the larger ones, fully understanding that most people will have pipes that fall into both categories. Nonetheless, when I am looking at new pipes, I find the majority to fall under the large category (2" deep bowls weighing over 1.5oz. I cannot help but wonder why the majority of pipes seem to be so large. I will say no to 10 pipes before I find one that meets 'my small' criteria.

Northern Neil":gej0w5i4 said:
I'm surprised to see so many people who perfer small pipes over the larger ones, fully understanding that most people will have pipes that fall into both categories. Nonetheless, when I am looking at new pipes, I find the majority to fall under the large category (2" deep bowls weighing over 1.5oz.  I cannot help but wonder why the majority of pipes seem to be so large. I will say no to 10 pipes before I find one that meets 'my small' criteria.
It's cause we buy all the small ones.  :mrgreen: 

Northern Neil":1wax8y5f said:
I'm surprised to see so many people who perfer small pipes over the larger ones, fully understanding that most people will have pipes that fall into both categories. Nonetheless, when I am looking at new pipes, I find the majority to fall under the large category (2" deep bowls weighing over 1.5oz.  I cannot help but wonder why the majority of pipes seem to be so large. I will say no to 10 pipes before I find one that meets 'my small' criteria.
I too find many a pipe I like that are large, but I never buy them. These days I don't buy hardly anything, so it has to fit my criteria for me to even think about it, that is unless I absolutely fall in love.

For me it's relative to the tobacco type, strength. A large bowl for a mild medium Va and a small bowl for OJK mixed with brown rope, etc.

As a rule, my preference is for large bowls. The small ones work in the car or for a quick smoke before supper or bedtime. I am a clencher for the most part and don't seem to be bothered by the size/weight. I am smoking a Custombilt as I type this. I started it in the office, smoked it in the car on the way home and will smoke it clenched as I do a few things around the house before lunch.

So far, I haven't experienced a single good smoke from my group 5-6 pipes.  I probably just need to find the right combination.  Trouble is that I am having a great experience with the smaller pipes...

I have 'em all, from a Grabow Westbrook into which I can hardly fit my little finger to a Sav Punto Oro in which I can almost take a bath. And everything in between.

And I love all of them  :bounce: :bounce: 

My biggest pipe is right at 2 oz and I doubt that I will ever go larger. My lightest is 0.8 oz and I will never go smaller. I prefer 1 to 1.5 oz pipes, though I have a few at 1.6 oz that I really like. I almost never clench so that isn't an issue for me. In all honesty I pick my pipes by what is visually appealing to me, and I say to myself, "I have to have that pipe". My method must work because all of my pipes are great smokers.  :D 

I am another small pipe guy Size 3 & 4 Dunhill's, my rotation is 90% flake so for taste & burn quality it has kind of gone that way, I have struggled smoking flake in anything bigger, I know there are lots that can do it but it's not for me, my collection is built up of mainly billiard's, dunhill 3 & 4's parker super bruyere's & punto oro's all around same size 20mm max opening and thick as i can get walls
I do smoke the odd english mix and I love peterson's hyde park which I have an Astley, peterosn deluxe & various Stanwell's & savinelli autographs  which take care of that & strangely are all bent's not sure if that's telling me something
As a restorer & dealer I have tried a real mix of pipes but I always seem to find good smokers within these makes, but then I also have a large group of pipes that I would class as average smoker's but they are just so bloody pretty I can't part with them & they sit in a rack like it's a trophy cabinet & the discipline involved in not keeping a lot of the pipes that go thru my hand's has to be monitored very carefully by the wife :)

My preference is the largest bent I can get -- like the Peterson House XXL Pipe. I am almost always working while I'm smoking so I like a pipe that I can clench, that doesn't put a lot of pressure on my teeth.

I've always been amused with the size of this Calabash that Col Lanta lifts from his uniform.

tumblr_m71se6QuMs1r77nz0o1_500.jpg

Of the approx. 3 dozen pipes I own, only 4 are large ... an equal number could be described as VERY small ... the remaining 75% of my pipes are pretty much evenly split between being small or medium in size ...

I generally own only pipes greater than 6". The only smaller pipe I own is a Tsuge bent apple around 4.2" someone bought me when I was staying in Japan. I enjoy smoking it when I'm hiking or traveling.

For me it depends on what blend I'm smoking. Flakes I tend to smoke a smaller sized bowl. Virginia"s what I would consider a medium sized bowl. English blends, the bigger pipe the better.