Which is St.James the Elder, and which the Lesser?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babysinister

Reaction score
SG St. James Flake and McC St. James Woods not only have similar names, they are of course both VaPers. I've noticed that those who smoke VaPers tend to prefer either one or the other. I was wondering how that probably unintended rivalry has played out among members of this forum (if at all - some may not like either blend, or like both equally). So, what is your choice?

I suspect a what's your favorite Va/Per would show both to be out of the Top 5..

Of the two I'll take the St James Woods. IMO StJ Woods is softer. It is more spicey sweet where StJ Flake does more of the earthy sour thing.
I suppose a lot of it may just be opinion of how a Va/Per should taste.

Definite vote for St James Woods by McClelland, the Aged (and probably some stoved Va) add a great deal of complexity and interest for me. They are both fine mixtures though ... :pipe:

while both very good, both have problems. Sam g's sometimes can present a tiny touch of the lakeland essence, which can be good at times but I wish it wasn't there. McClellands St.James woods is good but I have never had a great smoke from it. Now McClellands Beacon is great!

Thanks to all who have contributed to this poll thus far. Given the basic differences that have been noted between the flavors of both these highly regarded VaPers, it is not surprising to see the initial 50/50 difference of opinion. It may show that it is indeed advisable to test several blends within the same general category to finally settle on a confirmed favorite (at least for the time being, as our tastes frequently change). But there are so many blends out there, so little time!

Well, just about two weeks have elapsed and the winner by one vote is St. James of McClelland among the BoB cognoscenti. Thank you all for your poll votes and the additional insightful and useful comments.