white ish spots on my tobacco?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the rev

Reaction score
I have some full virginia flake and it was in a ziplock for a while before I got it into a jar, maybe week and a half two weeks. It has some whit ish spots on it. Is this fungus? is this tobacco ruined? Can I cut off the spots and I will be ok?

rev

That's most likely bloom. Sugar crystals and IMHO to be desired. Check it with a magnifying glass. Look for wispy hairs/threads/tentacles (WTH?) and a bluish or greenish cast. If none of those are present it's probably bloom. Just whitish crystals under the glass. There's a thread out there somewhere on bloom/mold.

Bloom is pretty common with FVF, 1792, Bracken Flake, DFS and some others.

Rev, get a magnifying glass and look at it under bright light.

If the spots are fuzzy, then it's mold. If not it could be sugar crystals.

I once had some blueish spots on some SG Navy Flake and it turned out to be sugar crystals.

If it's mold, I'd try and remove it as best I could and smoke it up.

HTH

Cheers,

RR

While storing cigars I would get the humidity a little to high and fuzz (mold) would develop. All I had to do was rub it off and the cigars were fine to smoke.

Betcha dollars to doughnuts its just plume (sugar crystals)...and its a good thing.

My 2009 FVF has this, :D my 2012 doesn't :(

Agreed it's most likely 99.9%, sugar crystals. It's also on my 1792 & Stonehaven.

Happened to me a number of years ago. Plume. Rubbed it off. Smoked it in the comforts of my home. No ER.

petertschantz":itkyltez said:
on cigars plume is a wonderful thing!
Yes it is. Sometimes I still wish I smoked them. It's hard to keep them properly humidified here in the desert though.

I have some white spots on my FVF and St James Flake jarred in 2011. But it shines under a bright light so it is clearly crystalline (sugar) - I didn't open the jars for closer inspection.

I have some bloom going on in some 3.5 year old jars of FVF. Mmmmmhmmm!

I am happier by the post, now to get a magnifying glass just to be sure

rev

From what I've personally seen, moldy tobacco mostly goes fuzzy-green...it's unmistakable. Think accidental science experiment with forgotten leftovers in the fridge. If your tobacco has spots, sparkly bits, or even little white veins, it's the good stuff (bloom/plume, microbe poop) that means tasty aging.

Maybe Greg should do an article with close-up pictures of tobacco mold versus bloom.

8)

Kyle Weiss":fmlusgea said:
Think accidental science experiment with forgotten leftovers in the fridge.
I can attest to this; one of my tupperware containers had some tobacco in it and got packed up on the trip to Japan. 6 weeks later it was nothing but fuzzy green gunk. I wanted nothing to do with it :suspect:

no fuzz, no green, just nice tasty smoke :)

thanks heaps guys, smoked a nice bowl full yesterday.

rev

For the records, Penzance will do the same thing. It doesn't take as long as you would think, either.

Dave_In_Philly":vctq91km said:
For the records, Penzance will do the same thing. It doesn't take as long as you would think, either.
Yep. Discovered this pretty early on. Hell, meat, cheese and cabbage all have their controlled bugs 'n' fungi that make 'em taste alright, might as well be a microbe-set just for 'bacca. Nature's cool like that.

Granted, being the cheap, crude dude I am, my thoughts of bloom being fungus was treated like questionable food... taste first, then decide if it's bad. If it's even better than expected, well...just keep consuming. :lol: I think the first cheese was probably some forgotten-about milk, furrowing the brows joining some wrinkled noses on hungry faces, and then the "wow, this isn't bad..." revelations happened after the adventurous guy dove in. :lol:

It's hard to keep them properly humidified here in the desert though.
Google up Tupperdor.

Sounds like it's a pretty easy, low-investment solution.

:face:

Yeah, desert 'bacca-keeping ain't that hard, just gotta seal it up. Once in a while a sniper bit of tobacco or other gremlin keeps the seal from doin' its job, but it's easy to prevent. Fortunately tobacco is pretty forgiving, to a point.