Who is ready for an excellent salmon season

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thistleoak

Reaction score
Its that magical time of year again the days are starting to get a lil shorter, we are starting to get that nice cool rain brought to us on a chilly northern breeze, and the lake will shortly be "turning over". This time of year always get my blood pumping and makes me feel so alive. So being new to the BoB and trying to meet new people I pose this question. If you fish salmon during the fall run what is your favorite lure to use and why? ( we all know that timing a weather conditions play are the determining factor, but on your "Perfect day" what is your favorite to use)

Thistle

This is the best place in the world to "catch" salmon when they are in season.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HFR3R4mHANU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Any season is great salmon season when I receive some fresh in the mail. :lol: Trout is all I have around here (but good trout it is...)

8)

Thistle,
My favorite is drifting salmon egg sacks in upstate New York for the fall run. There are some nice rivers flowing into Lake Ontario but the best is fishing for Steelhead drifting flies in November when the weather doesn't freeze us out.
I can only assume that the fishing in your area of Michigan is even better, the pictures I've seen of that state are beautiful but the winters come too quickly as they do in Maine. :D

Yeah, we drift egg sacks on the Salmon river up here when they start to run. Flourescent green and pink seem to get the job done.

I used to clean Salmon on the weekends for the "gentlemen" that wouldn't. They paid $7 per fish and I kept the eggs to sell to the bait shops. They'd mix them with some dye, harden them with alum and make a tremendous profit.

I never tried for Steelhead because it interferes with deer season, but it looks like a good time if you can deal with the cold.