Who is your favorite maker or brand?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheel7734

Reaction score
Who is your favorite maker or brand? For me it is hard. I love Chris Askwith pipes yet I love my Ferndowns made by Les Leslie Wood. I have more Ferndowns and many more planned. I love the history and tradition of Ferndowns yet I love the new approach and style of Askwith. Beck if I had a whole lot more money I would have more Ferndowns, Askwith, and Ashton pipes.

I might say Dunhill, if I had a favorite--but only because they do the classic billiard shape so well, and the Shell straight billiard is pretty much my favorite pipe of all time. In terms of pleasure given, I would say Missouri Meerschaum. But I don't really have a favorite maker or brand, and I judge pipes individually.

Guess I'd have to say that the Charatans made in the early '70s would be my favorite, especially the Special models as this is the "brand" of pipe I have the most of in my "collection"! Next would be Savinelli Punto Oros followed by the pre '80s BBB and Edwards, :twisted:

Savinelli and Mastro de Paja, based on how much more often I smoke those pipes than the others on the rack.

My favorite pipe is almost always the one I just lit. :cyclops:

I can no more answer this question than the one about "what is your favorite tobacco!!" Just can't do it!! :evil: :cheers: FTRPLT

I only own a few 'artisan' pipes. To say I prefer one over the other would be to discredit a highly respected pipesmith. Nope. Can't do it!

Stick":gjztla9l said:
I only own a few 'artisan' pipes.  To say I prefer one over the other would be to discredit a highly respected pipesmith.  Nope.  Can't do it!
I don't think it would be a discredit to like one over the other. They could all be just as skilled but you might be drawn to one over another. In my case I see amazing quality and artistry from many makers such as the Ivarsson family, but their pipes don't speak to me as much as the British carvers. That in no way discredits the Ivarsson pipes. It just comes down to what speaks to me.

Regardless of how many "artisan" pipes I own, Teipen still remains my favorite.

Bulldogs? It would be hard for me to say who / what my favorite maker / carver is, but I do like very much the Bulldog style. The classic version is a marvel with most of the briar in exactly the right spot. The many variations are always interesting and have an effect on how / what the smoker enjoys his smoke. To me, the neat thing about a Bulldog is that variations are fresh but are not just decorative or whimsical. There are Virginia Bulldogs and English Bulldogs . . . Etc.

Brian Bowers in his classic song "Berkley Woman"...

"I'd no more love just one kind of woman than I'd drink only one kind of wine."

Same goes for pipes I reckon.

Brand? Peterson. I have several in different shapes and finishes.

Maker? Tinsky. I only have one of his, but it's my favorite of my handmades.

Factory pipes......nothing to beat a Savinelli

Hand crafted pipes.......Goussard

Well here are all my Ferndowns I have currently.

Here is what's on the bench now

And here are all my pipes I have

I have about 20 vintage Brigham pipes in the rack(s). There is a consistency of build quality through the product lines - my 1-Dots smoke just as well as my 5-Dots - though a few out of the bunch seem to "fit" better for me in use, so these are the ones I reach for most often.

Tar Heel-

Forgive my ignorance, but the pipes on the bench appear to be full bent stummels with straight stems. Is this a design of pipe I am unfamiliar with, or are these stems you are working on?