Who Likes English Guns

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregw

Reaction score
Hi all, just curious who here has a love for the British Side by Side? I'm an absolute nut for them. I have 12 in my safe from Purdey, H&H, Blanch, Churchill, Boswell and some other makers.

So, any like minds out there?

All the best!

Greg

As a younger man, side by sides were one of my passions. Though I never was able to afford the likes of a Purdy, I hunted and shoot sporting clays using a fine Browning (Pre-Japan) and took delight in listening to the over/under and single bore proponents explain that the design of the side by side was totally wrong for accuracy.

These nimrods became decidedly sullen when paying off bets concerning bags and broken clays. I always just smiled and explained that they had obviously been correct and I was so pleased with my ability in the face of such handicaps :lol!:

Side-by-side shotguns or rifles? I'm a double shotgunner. Never owned a double rifle. Have had the pleasure of shooting a few. Had a client at the gun shop I used to work at that had quite a collection of high-end double rifles. Went to Africa yearly. We repaired one of his high dollar guns, had a bad firing pen. Mike, the gunsmith, was really impressed with the engraving (so was I, actually). We could not find any of the screws! This was in, maybe, '85. The gun was a $50,000 gun! I think it was a 600 nitro. We had to test fire it after the repair. Whew! The owner was an itty-bitty guy. I asked him how he stood the recoil. He said, "Oh son, when an elephant is charging you, you don't notice the recoil."

Hi, I should have stated shotguns. Sorry!

Anyone else have a love of these guns?

All the best!

Greg

gregw":qolx1mxu said:
Hi, I should have stated shotguns. Sorry!

Anyone else have a love of these guns?

All the best!

Greg
You said guns. A gun is a shotgun. A rifle is a rifle.

I have an old Alex Martin (Scottish maker) side by side. Love it.

Ive never owned a English double but I have shot a few that were fantastic shot guns. I do have a old Ashly Fox, The real thing not the remakes even though they were nice, Its the double I cut my teeth on bird hunting. Its the gun my great grandfather used and Id fetch his birds for him before I was big enough to hunt . To me its close to the way the English doubles were made, with a bit of drop in the stock. I love a double barrel shot gun, The true double with two triggers.

Always have loved them.
The classic look, is un matched or rather unsurpassed with the exception of earlier period artestry found in flintlocks.
Howewver I don't have any yet....

I have a Orthodontist friend in town that is a BIG fan of English doubles, when I first returned home from college, I couldn't afford an English, so he set me up with an AyA in a 16 gauge. While it may not have the panache of a Purdey, It bags it's fair share of roosters every year.