Who makes good affordable Morta Pipes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cigarstorejay

Reaction score
Hello All,

I was just wondering what anyone could tell me about Morta pipes. It is a material that I find interesting. It is also on my short list for a "next pipe." I want to know what you fine fellas think of it.

Does it smoke well? Does it last? Who does it well? Does anyone make Morta pipes that are affordable (read sub $100) or so?

Look forward to the input.

Thanks
Jay

MisterE":6pcad1f6 said:
I love this guy's work too.

This one's awesome:

http://davorinmortapipes.wordpress.com/gallery-2/c-06310/

Morta pipes give me an odd, "Dark Ages" kind of feel. Not the look of the designs this guy makes or anything- they're very conservative for the most part. Maybe it's the name or something... "Dead". Seems like a Morta pipe would be perfect for Halloween.

I was eyeballin' that one too.
I wish he still listed prices on
his pipes. I'm prolly not the
only one too lazy to ask.

^ Yeah, I can't seem to find a "what's currently available" listing either. If I knew the pricing I'd probably end up making the stretch. Better I don't, lol.

I agree about the pricing thing. It would be nice to know a range of prices at the very least. He does make some pretty pipes though.

I thought the coolest thing on his site was the various ages of some of the Morta that he could source locally. I believe the one age he had listed was over 8,000 years old! As a history teacher, that just blows my mind. I could only imagine how cool it would be smoking out of a piece of history like that. My Olive wood from Abi Natur is old, say 400-600 years old ish. That's a drop in the bucket to the thousands of years of some of the Bog Woods.

Although I vowed not to purchase any more pipes, I could be swayed in a moment of pipe piranha frenzy while surfing if the pipes were listed available and price given,,,

While a great link (thanks, deepbass...:D ) I have to wonder if they have an exclusive right to his pipes, or bought a bunch to sell as stock...

...I have gone ahead and asked Davorin if he has a current list/pricing available.

Oddly, I was looking up blocks of briar when "Morta" came up, I guess I glazed over this thread, but Google brought me back to BoB again because you guys were discussing it recently. :lol:

Fascinating material, really. Looks neat. I like the dark, sinister finish it can have. :pirat:

I actually just bought a few pen blanks of irish morta. It's on it's way across the c atlantic as I type this. I bought out to make some trinkets. I will post some pictures once it arrives. I am always on the lookout foyer briar alternatives. I think it would be neat to smoke out of a pipe made from two thousand year old wood!

Davorin got back to me pretty quickly... it seems the website mentioned is his US dealer...? We'll see. I'll keep you all posted. 8)

Davorin Denovic":bw8xr3ph said:
Hello Kyle,

Well, for USA/Canada I have dealer, maybe my mistake, becouse his price is very high. So you can see my pipes on his web page www.pipes2smoke.com If you are from some other part of world I can sell to you directly. All my best to Brothers of Briar ;-))) well I make some briar pipes but mostly morta is my favorite.

Sincearly

Davorin

mgtarheel":br46uaku said:
Jay, if you are looking for a good and inexpensive Morta pipe look at this website http://www.wix.com/taharris/turningsbytodd#! He will make anything that you want and his prices are very reasonable, if you at his gallery you will see examples of some of his Mortas.
I'm glad to see that people are aware of him elsewhere. He is a great guy and I plan on commissioning him to make me one of his "Bull Moose" styles.

I don't want to get *too* excited but...

...I'm already talking to Todd H. about getting an artistic morta poker made for me. He is indeed a great guy and seemed thrilled to have some creative freedom with me. 8) Okay, I'm getting excited. It'll not only be my first poker, but a morta poker? That's gonna be... just... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I don't know if he's aware of BoB, but I told him to please come on by, he'd fit right in over here. 8)