whole leaf casing suggestions?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFOD

Reaction score
On a lark I bought some whole leaf from wholeleaftobacco.com. I figured I'd shred and age it and see what I end up with. Has anyone else here done this? If so what did you do for casing (or did you?).

I'm guessing the perique and turkish won't need any case but the red virginia could use some. Maybe honey and lemon in distilled water?

I've searched through the fairtrade forum but am still looking for ideas.

Thanks!

It depends on what your tastes run to. I can provide the casing recipe for Pall Mall or Japan Tobaccos Export cigs. Most casings contain licorice of some sort usually with cocoa and frequently with rum. There are tons of options.

Jim

I like to use more often than not a mix of distilled water, treacle, honey and vinegar. Sometimes with a bit of vegetable glycerin. There are many options, it depends on the flavour profile you're hunting for.

It also depends on what other purpose the casing is to serve. Cigs generally use licorice and chocolate because they have an active effect on the lungs. One increases the blood flow to the lungs while the other opens the airways allowing the smoke to be inhaled into the lungs easier. Of course those flavors are also quite tasty with tobacco and can be used just for the flavor.

Jim

Thanks guys.

Well my intent is to try to get as close as I can to 5100 Red Cake.  So tangy, dark fruit and some toasty and caramel flavors would be the profile I am trying for...

So maybe a little molasses, honey, vinegar, lemon, some sort of fruit extract?

Never having had 5100 I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help with that.
It sounds like you are in the right track though. Start small and make adjustments as you go.

Jim

Well I picked up molasses, maple sugar, anise extract, orange extract, and a couple other things and when I get a chance this weekend I'll try a couple of things.

Let us know how it goes for ya. Work in small batches and give them at least 2 days to hydrate and settle down. I find working the tobacco on a cookie sheet in a warm (200*) oven is a big help in opening the pores of the leaf so it absorbs the casing better .

Jim

huffelpuff":01zokz68 said:
Let us know how it goes for ya. Work in small batches and give them at least 2 days to hydrate and settle down. I find working the tobacco on a cookie sheet in a warm (200*) oven is a big help in opening the pores of the leaf so it absorbs the casing better .

Jim
Yup!