WhooHoo!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A glorious Uni-Ball Vision Needle .5....

Yes, I am currently looking for a decent fountain pen. There are so many choices it is hard to make an enlightened choice, I find.

For under $2 each Uni puts out a great writing pen...liquid ink and all. I've got a number of these I use for drawing.

So what criteria does your potential fountain pen need to meet? Price point? Fill style? Size? Materials? Yeah...LOTS of choices all write. :lol:

Grey Lamy Safari with black Parker Quink, same as any other day. Take that, you Fancy Dans!

Blackhorse":ei93b6ox said:
For under $2 each Uni puts out a great writing pen...liquid ink and all. I've got a number of these I use for drawing.

So what criteria does your potential fountain pen need to meet? Price point? Fill style? Size? Materials? Yeah...LOTS of choices all write.  :lol:
I'm still trying to sort through all these criteria, right now. :lol!: :affraid:

Well Mr Burley, I'll chime in declaring two of my favorite pens...

The Pilot 78G (stub) $15

The Jinhao X450 (M) about $10

Use both regularly and believe them to be incredible bargains.

I have a Jinhao, and swear it cost about $3 total from someplace in China a few years ago on ebay. Can't believe the quality for the price. I'm thinkin' slave labor or something. Dries out too fast, though, and hard to start. I fire it up once in a while.

I once had a Mont Blanc 149 (that's the big one, right?) given me as a gift. I struggled with it for a while, then tossed it. Seriously and literally. (Well, not literally "tossed." It went in the garbage, I should say.) I'm such an ass. But I know what I don't like, and that pen was an abomination. Kind of down on fountain pens in general. Just read on a forum thread where Pelikan has quality control issues. Great.

If I ever buy another, it would probably be a Sailor in friggin' bright red.

I love writing with my Pelikan's.

I really like pre-war and war-time Parker's, but so many of those have a fine nib that I do not really care for.

Visconti have some amazing acrylic and write well, but seem to have little expressiveness.

Sailor makes a superbly dependable and fine writing instrument. New or 1960's vintage, they are real good pens.

A lot of places to shop, but I like getting the weekly email of available stuff from these folks. http://www.pendemonium.com/ They go to a lot of shows and always seem to have something for the desk. They also do a lot of nib work and sell inexpensive pens with stubs, or italic nibs.

One forum comment re QC does not mean there's a problem. You know how that goes.

I have pens ranging g from the $3 Jinhao that works great...to a Lamy 2000...a Namiki Falcon and some nice Pilots and Platinums and a Pelican that was a gift and writes like a dream. I have more fun with TWSBI pens than most (just got a Vac Mini (stub) for my birthday)...love the high quality, moderate cost and great customer support thing. Of all those only two - the Lamy 2000 and my red Platinum 3776 Century needed no tuning whatever. It would be nice if pens were delivered in perfect functioning order. But mostly they're not.

Hey, BH, your handwriting looks cool. May I ask what pen and nib you were using for the note you recently sent me?

I was brought up on Parker Method in school...good basics for a fountain pen. I also have YEARS of art and architecture classes behind me re practice.

In terms of the pen?  I forget, actually. I have a half dozen inked up at the moment. It would help me to be reminded of the ink color...and if the scrawl looks like it might have been done with a stub nib.

How do you like the paper.  Tomoe cream. Magical stuff.

The ink is dark red, i.e. dried blood. Yes to the stub appearance. About paper I know zip, except that the ink didn't bleed at all. Interesting.

The pen is a Pilot 78G with a 1.1mm stub nib. A great cheap pen. The ink is Diamine Red Dragon.

The Tomoe (Toe-moe-ay) paper is legendary for being exceedingly thin and yet not bleeding, feathering, etc. Plus it's a very very smooth surface that does not absorb ink much. It dries more slowly but REALLY shows sheen.

The paper is available at Goulet and Jet Pen.

Hussah!

Nicely played Mr BH, Sir. Great idea for a new thread.

Today's choice is in fact my only choice, my trusty Parker Sonnet in black with gold trim. This pen has travelled the world with me and gets used every day. Ink is black Quink, but am on the look out for a nice blue, perhaps erring on the side of turquois.

My favorites are Akkerman Shocking Blue and Diamine Majestic Blue (twin sons of different mothers).both of which sheen red.

But perhaps Iroshizuku Kon Peki would be more to your taste in terms of color. All the Iroshizuku inks behave brilliantly.

4aa3b08d-e7df-4bf1-875b-5ceb2a71c63a

Blackhorse":gayl4wh2 said:
My favorites are Akkerman Shocking Blue and Diamine Majestic Blue (twin sons of different mothers).both of which sheen red.

But perhaps Iroshizuku Kon Peki would be more to your taste in terms of color. All the Iroshizuku inks behave brilliantly.

4aa3b08d-e7df-4bf1-875b-5ceb2a71c63a
Like! Thanks BH.

Noodlers has some good solid blues that are well regarded. I like both Noodlers (where you can find permanent inks galore) and Diamine for more cost conscious options.

Both Goulet and Jet Pens have inks classed by color so you can find your turquoise skewed blue more easily.