Who's right?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting read and some valid points especially about judging a blend based solely upon the recommendation of another individuals taste buds. Conversely, I enjoy smoking my pipes more than I seem fuss with them. I smoke three bowls out of the same pipe before I rotate to the next one. I don't clean the pipe between smokes and I find that they all always smoke just fine. Perhaps all is OK because I'm almost exclusively an English blend smoker. My pipes all handle latakia and there is never any goop or dottle left in the bottom of my bowls. This would probably not be the case if I smoked aros and had wet dirty bowls after each smoke. I have come to the realization that the blend loaded into a pipe more than the ritual of smoking it requires the smoker to maintain his "equipment" to a greater or lesser intensity. Years ago, a guy carried a pouch of a single blend in his back pocket and smoked it in the same pipe all day long. Today, we all have racks full of pipes; first we choose a different pipe and then a different blend for each smoke from a selection of ten or twenty or more blends that we keep in a jar. Times certainly have changed.

Mr. Tate is obviously deranged. It's crazy talk. If an expert tells me that a virginia blend, say, tastes best when you're hanging upside down from a tree limb, then, dammit, I do it. Ditto for flinging myself over a cliff or in front of a speeding train. Mortals should have no fear; your thinking has been done for you.

I do smoke other pipes reasonably often. But I smoke one pipe just about everyday, sometimes as many as 5-6 times a day since I got it at Chicago last year.

Very astute observations and common sense advice. Not by the individuals cited, but the author. But he did forget one of the most "factual" pieces of advice you hear today, "... only PERFECT, ARTISAN pipes will smoke well, all the rest , eh!" We ALL ascribe to THAT one :p

Great article, though it all goes without saying--"experts" in an area such as pipes are usually just the gassing on of proud old men, but there can be some helpful clues buried (deeply) in their advice once in a while.

I especially laughed at the tales of the B&M ignorance. I swear folks working retail do that shit on purpose just for fun. I know I did. :lol:

8)

monbla256":9j6rv349 said:
Very astute observations and common sense advice. Not by the individuals cited, but the author. But he did forget one of the most "factual" pieces of advice you hear today, "... only PERFECT, ARTISAN pipes will smoke well, all the rest , eh!" We ALL ascribe to THAT one :p
:lol!: :lol!: :albino:

monbla256":8lxvc4zk said:
Only PERFECT, ARTISAN pipes will smoke well, all the rest , eh!" We ALL ascribe to THAT one :p
That's right, tell 'em Monbla. And HERE is an example of a PERFECT ARTISAN Pipe!

039d22c05093af2f5952e79c8d3a5024.jpg

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

WOW!!!!! Look at al that Cobseye grain ALL around the bowl and that varimagated finish. I really like the Arkansanite hand cut bit !! You HAD to have paid dearly for THAT one :p

monbla256":rhggtrjp said:
WOW!!!!! Look at al that Cobseye grain ALL around the bowl and that varimagated finish. I really like the Arkansanite hand cut bit !! You HAD to have paid dearly for THAT one :p
Yes, this fine model almost broke the bank - but then what is money when it comes to a Top-Of-The-Line hand made Artisan Freehand Pipe. The Cobseye Grain, Finish, Extravagant Stem work, and the Arkansanite hand cut bit are just icing on the cake! :D

Not to mention - this one should color up nicely & smoke better than a Lane-Era Charatan. :mrgreen:

Good article, but I take slight issue with this:
The ‘Expert Pipe Smokers’ I am referring to is, the people who say; “I have been smoking a pipe for so many amount of years and I have all of this knowledge and this is how you are supposed to smoke a pipe”. In my opinion, the individual person finds their own way to smoke a pipe. If you enjoy smoking a pipe the way that you smoke it, you are doing it correctly. Once again, that does not mean the so called ‘experts’ are wrong, because they are not. They are enjoying their pipe smoking as well.
If you're smoking one way and enjoying it, but all the experts say you should smoke another way, I think you should at least give the expert-approved way a try, and not just once but say for a week: you might find that you enjoy your pipe even more that way. If not, fine: go back to your preferred way; but at least give the expert-approved way a trial.

Who is right?

Over the years, i've developed a simple and preferred method. Try different techniques and then use the one that works for you. Whether it comes from a Master or not, if it works for you and you enjoy your smoke - then it works...

Rob and Steve: You are both right from my experience. I tend to read suggestions. I consider them all and try those that I think are accurate. Then I make my own decisions. I have also found that suggestions from experienced smokers don't always work for inexperienced smokers. It may take a few years of experience with the pipe to appreciate the flavors and techniques that experienced smokers take for granted. :affraid: This happy face/horror face expresses volumes. The lat bombs I love today, I could not attempt nor stomach without experience "under the belt" that I had not yet acquired years ago.

I'm with horshack.

Torture yourself for a week because a pipe board expert or old dude at the B&M says you do it wrong. No sense enjoying yourself if your doing it wrong. I think you owe it to Us to be miserable doing it right, at least for a week.

PB: When It comes to Mods you are a classic. I love ya man! We need a Buster's Thread. Balls, asses, you name it. Forget my smiley avatar face. Your tough smoke rocks. So here's a start off idea for the man....."My pipe is bigger than your pipe"! Now freakin what?

Hey Le: Man that is one god awful ugly duckling. I sure hope that pipemaker isn't one of us here on BoB. If he is my ass is grass bro. Belated Happy Easter and enjoy your bowls today my friend.