Who's this dougc905 guy anyway?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougc905

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been posting on and off for a couple of months so far. Originally found the site (I think) through pipes.org. Later I was referred by LL when I sent some pipes to him for a refurb. He posted a picture of one of my pipes at the time.

I have to say that I really like the community here.

Anyway, I am a high school teacher of physics (grade 11 & 12) and general science (grade 9). Started out teaching computer science 19 years ago, moved over to math and then on to the current sciences. Previously I was in the microcomputer field after earning my degree in electrical engineering. Didn't like that and decided to move on. Now I get to spend each day with 120 of my best friends!

I bought my first pipe when I was about 15. Tried it with Amphora Brown. Gagged and threw it all in the garbage. Waited a while and then tried again, this time with another winner - Borkum Riff. Didn't give up. My life was saved when I finally ventured into a B&M in downtown Toronto called Winston & Holmes. The proprietor (and employees) gave me great advice, steered me towards better tobacco and managed to sell me a few pipes to boot. All of this before I was finished university.

(31 years after starting the journey I am still learning.)

Since then I have bought many pipes direct from (the late) John Calich in Toronto, one from Mark Tinsky and one from Horace DeJarnett. I got into the mail order pipe scene in the early days and bought from Nikos Levin and others. Wasn't ripped off. I also cruise eBay for old Savinellis, Ser Jacs and Il Ceppos. Haven't been ripped off there either. I occasionally break the bank for a Castello.

Meager offerings in the B&M's these days have forced me online. It's a slippery slope for retailers.

I like traditional shapes and mild variations thereof. Have no appreciation for Danish, Swedish or any other 'ish' (except for pickled fish.) Shape and proportion conquer grain in my books. Used to focus on smooth pipes but lately have gained an appreciation of rusticateds and blasts.

Still live in the Toronto area. Hope to retire far, far away but that itself is far, far away!

Thanks for hanging in to this tyrade!

Doug

Welcome officially, Doug!

And a hearty cheers to a fellow high school teacher (though I'm on hiatus right now.)

Welcome Doug... from a fellow Torontonian also freezing his butt off with hope of retiring in a warmer climate :D

Welcome! I too miss the days when every town big enough to have a stoplight had a tobacco store to hang out in.

Glad to have you onboard. Never met a Doug I didn't like. For that reason I named my son Doug.