Why corn cob?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dubbya

Reaction score
After reading around a bit, I've noticed that there are quite a few recommendations made for using corn cob pipes for testing tobaccos. I'm curious as to why.

Is it because they are cheap and easily replaced if they take on the essence of a blend that you don't like, or do they simply not take on that flavor at all?

It's got me all curious.

Dubbya":th1d0i5q said:
because they are cheap and easily replaced if they take on the essence of a blend that you don't like,
yup :lol!:

I smoke em when I'm out in a wind
or while riding the John Deere.
Worst case, if ya break em, lose em,
you're only out a few bucks.
I light em with a torch too. :lol:

I was talking to a guy today who said that when broken in, the cob gives a
righteous smoke.Reminds me of Mark Twain who said he always let a lesser
man break in his cobs,then he put in a new stem and took over. :lol:

Winslow :sunny:

I hate corn cobs, always have. I used to steer newbies away from them telling them they weren't getting the feel of a true briar pipe.

Then, I dropped a few briar pipes in the lake, chipped some (including a Rad Davis). Now, I buy them by the carton and just hang them in the kitchen.

To me, a cob goes where you wouldn't take a briar. And yes, if smoking an unknown blend, I hate to funk up a good smoker.

Dag... Speaking as a Carolinian, there is no life without corn. Corndogs. Hushpuppies. White liquor. Cornbread. Pipes.

A cob is a rock-solid smoking pipe in my book. They make burley shine. C'mon - you can't beat Carter Hall or Prince Albert from a cob every now and then; and they are great with virginia tobaccos. Cobs burn cool, handle moisture well and if you drop one and step on it your life won't change. I particularly like them for smoking outdoors (no sweat for wind or if they get dropped), for traveling (packed in a bag and jammed somewhere on the motorcycle) or for times/places when I want a pipe along that I know will end up stuck in a pants pocket. I like a Missouri Meerschaum (MM) Legend for short smokes of Carter Hall on the way to work and I like a MM Great Dane for an hour long poke at any virginia tobak.

The wooden stem can taste funky until it burns out (2-4 smokes) and every once in a while you get a pipe that actually imparts a corn taste to the first couple of puffs or bowls but, WTH? It's a $5.00 Americana deal that can't be beat. (I guess aro guys like them for their own fruit-flavored reasons but, hey, it's a big world.) I love my briars; meers make some things sparkle and, now and again a cob cannot be beat.

I just bought my first cob about a week ago. It lasted about 4-5 smokes untill i noticed that the tobacco wasn't the one smoking and it was smoldering on me. The problem is I was driving to work, at night, and couldn't tell what was happening. Later on I noticed two dark spots forming and a the inside of the bowl being charred. So I guess after 5 years of on and off pipe smoking this incident has finally raised me above newbe status with my first burnout? :cherry:

1. I use it to try out first time smoking of new-to-me blends w/o fear that some lingering aroma from the pipe will interfere with experiencing the new blend, and viceversa.

2. Any pipe that was good enough for General Douglas MacArthur is good enough for me.

3. In the privacy of my unbesieged Man Fort, I pretend that I'm Popeye and sing the Popeye song while alternating puffs on my cob.

I love my cob! Great smokes, and burleys really shine in these things! Two or three smokes and they are broken in. Can't beat that!

-Adam

cobs are great smokers i just ordered some more from pipes and cigars you can get five Country Gentleman cobs for 27.50 you cant beat that

(And just because "cob" rhymes with "snob" we can all have our own fuzzy feeling about briars and meers and cobs and hookahs and all that jazz and still we get along just fine, right? We're all brothers, right? Oh please please please say "Yes!" Ooooooooooo - I hate a "My $3.00 cob is better than your $300 briar" fight.)

i know i'm not a pipe snob i love my corn cobs i enjoy a nice bowl of carterhall siting on my small deck on my single wide trailer out in the sticks :D

robertw1249":p4vhi0f3 said:
i know i'm not a pipe snob i love my corn cobs i enjoy a nice bowl of carterhall siting on my small deck on my single wide trailer out in the sticks :D
Now that sounds like heaven to me!

EJinVA":1q15c1aj said:
robertw1249":1q15c1aj said:
yes it is i love it here nebraska is gods country

That moisture thing is where they really shine. Cold winter weather in Illinois and smoking outside, a briar pipe will condense water like a faucet. Cobs just shrug it off.

Carlos":4oufu8gm said:
That moisture thing is where they really shine. Cold winter weather in Illinois and smoking outside, a briar pipe will condense water like a faucet. Cobs just shrug it off.
thats true the best cob i really like is the Country Gentleman straight it has a really nice big bowl on it

robertw1249":dsdngv84 said:
EJinVA":dsdngv84 said:
robertw1249":dsdngv84 said:
Add mosquitos the size of B-52's and make it a doublewide and you have my favorite place to smoke down to a T.

Dubbya":q23900oo said:
robertw1249":q23900oo said:
EJinVA":q23900oo said:
robertw1249":q23900oo said:
Add mosquitos the size of B-52's and make it a doublewide and you have my favorite place to smoke down to a T.
well we got the B-52's mosquitos here to so come on over and pull up a chair and make your self at home :pipe:

robertw1249":b36ckvqf said:
Dubbya":b36ckvqf said:
EJinVA":b36ckvqf said:
well we got the B-52's mosquitos here to so come on over and pull up a chair and make your self at home :pipe:
I've only made it to Nebraska once but, next time I'm in the area, I'm coming over with a fresh tin of Old Dublin and having a smoke.